Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Can you Covert econoline axle to early ford spindles

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by chopdr230, Oct 18, 2013.

1. chopdr230

chopdr230
    from peoria il

I picked up a mas drop tube axle setup for econoline spindles but I'm having a hell of a time finding spindles for it . Can I convert this thing to early spindles ? Looks like I could just ream out the hole an 1/8 th and put on the older spindles . Has anyone done this ?

2. Measure the length of the axle bung and see if the spindle is going to fit it by length. Then it is jyust a matter of mai king the king pin fit, axle bungs have been reamed to fit a kin pin and I have even seen spindles reamed to take a larger king pin so as ling as you have enough meat the reaming process is no biggy.

Now as far as spindles you can probably by new econoline spindles or if you ebay or do the HAMB those things come up occaisionaly as well. maybe look for a disc brake conversion for an econoline sometimes the conversions come with new spindles as well.

3. econolineherb

econolineherb

Ask the Econo groups . There are afew different disc setups being made .

4. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

But does that solve the spindle issue? Don't most disc conversions for E100's use stock spindles with Crown Vic or Aerostar rotors? Still need stock spindles to work.

You can convert to '37-'48 Ford spindles by reaming the axle out to accept the larger .812" kingpins, from the .75" king pins E100 used. The early Ford spindles have all sorts of support for aftermarket parts.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013

5. Heo2

Heo2

I Think they have different king pin inclination
    so you get funny camber. But you can bend the
    tubeaxle to compensate

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

7. chopdr230

chopdr230
    from peoria il