Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects KIWI MADE 1927 T Lakes modified - Journey to the end of the road!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by woodbox, Mar 31, 2012.

1. woodbox

woodbox

That is the plan!

2. Nice work there mate.
    You have a great variety of skills for sure.

3. Sunday morning, and Wades up early. Good day for working on your hot rod. I got to work today, but not on cars.

4. woodbox

woodbox

No work on the car today! Paid employment seems to be getting in the way!

5. Guess we gotter pay for our toys somehow. I had big day in the studio. If your done by January, maybe you could come down for the Megacruise. Clives gona have that ol Linclon finished by then...

6. Sure Jeff. Sure Jeff. Sure Jeff ... lol

7. woodbox

woodbox

1381821869624.jpg X
    Frustration!!! I had the brake shop making front hoses. I screwed up the measurement after I swapped the cylinders side for side to have the banjo fitting pointing in a better direction. So back to get some more made. I hate when I Do that sort of dumb (expensive) shit!
    The bias valve was in the post, so I made a mount for that and finished the hard pipes.
    Another item I picked up while in town was the Tenax clips for the tonneau cover. I wanted to get these on before re assembling the body.
    To support the tonneau cover in the middle of the cockpit I will be using a traditional fiberglass tent pole that will slip into the anchor points on the dash and rear deck. Pictures of this when the cover is under way........soon!

The bias valve has ten turns from open to closed, so I have set it at 4 turns to give 60%. This will do until we get the car onto the rollers.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  8. woodbox

woodbox

Woohoo! Front hoses finally fitted! And we managed to bleed the brakes too.

9. Laps of the block with no body on tomorrow then !!!

10. a bloke

a bloke

You need brakes for that now? Health and safety gone mad...

11. nexxussian

nexxussian

Next you'll say you have to have a seat, instead of a wood lath apple crate. :eek:

12. woodbox

woodbox

Today I poured 5 liters of gas into the tank and will check for leaks and prime up to the carb. Sunday my engine builder and trans guy will be here when we fire up for the first time. All going well with that I will be replacing the body and interior ready for a trip to town for the rest of the compliance required to make it legal!!!!!!!!!!

13. woodbox

woodbox

I tipped in another 10 liters of gas, marking on my gauge each 5Ltr increment. A couple of small leaks on fittings. I wasn't rough enough on them with the wrench! Sorted now and no more leaks. Plugged in the power to the fuel pump and primed up to the carb and checked the float levels.....both looking OK.

14. davo461

davo461

I trust that there will be a 'christening video', please.
    Davo.

15. woodbox

woodbox

That's the plan.

16. daddio211

daddio211

17. woodbox

woodbox

The car is all set for a fire up session tomorrow! I am getting a couple of cameras sorted for the christening video coverage. I need to grab some fresh batteries and some beers in the morning. I have to go to work tomorrow night right after we are done!

We are starting the search for a Go Pro camera to use for video logging of my up coming solo road trip early next year. The plan is to take a couple of cameras and a tablet to edit on, then upload an episode daily onto Utube and link them on here for you all to follow.
    The road trip will include a trip to the Northern most tip of the country first, for a shakedown run, then shortly thereafter the journey to the opposite end of the North Island, down the East coast, for the pre 1949 Nationals, then the return trip back up the left coast.

18. woodbox

woodbox

We ran up the engine today! Woooohooo! Big day! I have had that engine for 23 years and never heard it run.
    I had static timed it a couple of weeks a go, but never actually thought to look and see which lead the rotor was pointing at, so we soon found out that I had set it up 180 deg out! A little bit of sorting and back onto the key.
    First compression it kicked into life and announced its arrival in the world, just like a babys' first lung full of scream. The charge curcuit for the alternator has not been fully sorted so eventually we ran out of Gigahurtz in the battery and everything came to a deafeningly quiet halt.
    Trev took this opportunity to hook up a different timing light, 'cause his didn't want to play. I connected up my ute with jumper leads and fired it back into life so trev could finish playing with the timing and carb tuning.

All in all I am a very happy chappy with a list of little bits to sort, including Alternator, a minor oil leak on a sender, electric fan touching shroud, return springs on carb and some more trans fluid. The engine sounds real sweet and is very responsive!

I have quite a lot of video footage to work with, so will be doing some editing tomorrow after I get home from work and catch some ZZzzzz's

Stay tuned folks.:cool:

19. Very Cool. A new baby is born.. haha.

20. woodbox

woodbox

We even managed to fit in a quick christening before I had to go to work for the night!

21. davo461

davo461

Congratulations Daddy.

22. well done Woodbox . Great feeling ain't it :D

23. woodbox

woodbox

Working through the issues that running the engine threw at me. Today found why rear wheels were wobbling and sorted. Set up pcv into intake ducting, double throttle return springs and had the wheels balanced.

24. daddio211

daddio211

25. davo461

davo461

You beat me to it, Daddio211. ha ha
    Davo.

26. fleet-master

fleet-master

Great progress Wade !! I bet you had a grin at that 1st kick into life that couldn't be removed with a steelo pad!!

I'll be watching for the video too... :) :)

27. woodbox

woodbox

28. woodbox

woodbox

Little jobs today after a post night shift sleep. Made a new clamp for the dizzy from 6mm 1/4" alloy. Looks good and holds a damn sight better than the other one we found to put on it. Also glued some small steel blocks up around the top edge of the glass body, for the tonneau cover magnets to stick too.
    I had a play with some sheet metal for some possible additional exhaust silencing. I am kind of paranoid that it may not pass requirements for noise. Time will tell I guess.

29. woodbox

woodbox

1383544213140.jpg 1383544231551.jpg 1383544258579.jpg 1383544288070.jpg 1383544308347.jpg 1383544329259.jpg 1383544342451.jpg 1383544359376.jpg 1383544372907.jpg I have been a little paranoid since firing the engine that it may be too loud for the authorities when the time comes. So on went the thinking cap to find a solution.
    I wanted something that could be easily removed and not too restrictive. I already have some packing inline but it doesn't baffle the Soundwaves.
    I started making some conical sections to slip inside the existing trumpet to carry the baffle sections.
    The baffle are made from pieces that I pounded into a compound curve from another job. Eight baffles spaced and alternated in orientation to bounce the sound are used in the prototype. I tried this on one side and it was a success!
    Needless to say the second side is progressing a lot more quickly.

I made the second lot of baffle sections as a stack. They are spaced with stainless spacers on a stainless 6mm threaded bar which then threaded into an existing retainer plate inside the trumpet .

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  30. Jiminy

Jiminy

When you do your video it would be great to hear without and with your baffle setup.