Register now to get rid of these ads!

Parts washer solvent recommendations

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stovebolt55, Jun 24, 2013.

1. whenever I need to change the fluid, I just have the paint store add two 5 gallon cans of their cheapo laquer thinner (what I call gun cleaner) to my order. 5 bucks per gallon & it works great

2. fsae0607

fsae0607

The mineral spirits take a while to evaporate, especially if you're using the california version which has a lot of the VOC's taken out. Patting dry with rags and compressed air does the trick. If I need to have a clean surface I just rinse it off with brake cleaner and blue shop paper towels. Presto... clean parts!

3. bolthead

bolthead

Mineral spirits with some kind of detergent added to it - an old can of Gunk parts washer additive. Don't know if they still make it.

4. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Just to safisfy my curiosity I checked prices today. I didn't remember solvebt being this high, but here it is $7.80 a gallon, kerosene is 4.35, and diesel is running $3.70 -$3.90 a gallon. Still when I need to change solvent I will continue to use solvent. I don't like the smell or the oily feel of either diesel or kerosene

5. X-Farmboy

X-Farmboy

Is there a difference between mineral spirits and parts solvent?

Also, I accidentally poured a gallon of old nasty gas (from a solvent can, DOH!) into my 12 gallon parts washer. Will it evaporate out over time if left open? Don't like the thought of it making my parts solvent flammable...

6. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

I'm using diesel without issue and it works great. Gas evaporates quick.

7. THIS! and gas is FLAMMABLE!!!!!!!

8. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

I think Laquer thinner is too flamable to use, just like gasoline.

Ago

9. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'm using mineral spirits, a friend and I split a 55 gallon drum a couple of years ago, IIRC, it was about $450 for the drum.
    Can anybody explain to me the difference(s, if any, between Stoddard Solvent, Varsol, and mineral spirits??

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  10. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From the Famous "car guy" quotes thread.

Nitro is the most powerul solvent known to man, it disolves bank accounts and marriages instantly. Jack Wyatt.

11. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

Yes, i once was told Nitro was so powerful that if you smeared it on a pregnant womens belly she will pass a Baby Boy,, Hell, i told that guy that was nothing because if you smear it on a cats ass he will pass a drag car!!!!