Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone have a problem with me doing this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

So, I love the new forum layout. The only real issue I've found is that all of the old threads are in the "Discussions & Happenings" forum and I've quickly realized that it would take a life time to move them all to the appropriate forums. Here's what I am thinking about doing:

The HAMB - a single forum just like the HAMB used to be and as you see it here. This forum would house everything posted as a discussion from all forums. It's an all in one grab bag.

- Traditional hot rods. Period cars just as we have it now.

- Traditional customs. Period cars just as we have it now.

Notice that there are two forums missing - "Discussions & Happenings" as well as "Traditionally styled and stockers". Instead of having separate forums for these, they would all be posted into the main "HAMB" forum.

Essentially, it's a simplification of what we have now. Less forums, but we still have the two forums for the really traditional stuff and one forum that houses all threads.

Any constructive thoughts? Whatever I do (if anything) will be our last structural change. A redesign of the place is coming...

Note: Save your editorial thoughts. This is a traditional forum... and we aren't changing that.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  2. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The two extra forums were a tad clunky. I'm good with it.

-Abone.

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

4. Speed~On

Speed~On

As a guy that was in I.T. (and addicted to the HAMB) yes, I like your idea, Ryan.

5. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Sounds good. Easier is usually better.

6. belair

belair

I was hoping you would do this.

7. Either way works for me - As the Hillbilly's say - Don't make no never mind

8. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

I think this really sucks!!!!! No im just kidding. The Hambs the Hamb ill love it no matter what happens.

9. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Sounds good to me.

10. what ever makes it better for you...we will adapt.

11. Efficient/streamlined/simplified..sure, works for me.

12. Firepower71

Firepower71
    from Atlanta

I think that's a wise move. I agree that there were a bit too many forums

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. Gator

Gator

Sounds good.

14. sprdave4264

sprdave4264
    from Arkansas

like the old format

15. badshifter

badshifter

So, an aggregate, and 2 dedicated forums? Perfect.

16. Ryan,I was one of the guys that you ask how we as Alliance Members felt about the changes and this was my reply along with 281 other Alliance members...

It's ok, but it needs some tweaking still. I do like the direction you are going.

My main concern, at that time there was just too many headings and if the subject wasn't a traditional hot rod or custom thread there was no clear cot direction.

It all seemed to make sense but invariably someone always posted in the wrong section,,including me!

I honestly believe trimming it back to 3 headings would make it easier on us as members and lessen the work load it has created on all the moderators. HRP

17. Sounds like a good plan to me....Go for it.

18. Ebert

Ebert

Much better....I love the old way, but realize that you have to do what you have to do!

19. I like the "Traditionally styled and stockers" forum, as that seems to thin out all the 'what size WW tires should I use' and 'which hubcaps do I need' posts (LOL) while still keeping build threads and tech stuff easier to find. I have noticed that some threads that get moved out of the 'traditional' forums the logic of the move escapes me.

The 'discussion and happenings' forum is no loss.

20. 2racer

2racer

I don't see any reason for dividing it at all. since you changed it I just click on the new posts tab after I log in and scroll thru everything.

I'm interested in all kinds of cars so the division doesn't do me any good.

21. fordflambe

fordflambe

Just my 2-cents.........The "old salt" of HAMB know the old format well and know what is appropriate to post where............but the newbie's probably get confused for a while, until the old light bulb comes on and they realize the reason for the categories.........I think your proposal will be easier for you to keep content where it belongs and make it easier for new people to grasp what you are trying to do (not sure too many newbie's read the rules first)......Great proposal!

22. metal man

metal man

There are too many forums right now. It would be a welcome change as far as I'm concerned.

I just use the HAMB grab bag forum anyway, and quickly glance over everything, just like I've been doing for the last 8 years. I fear change.

23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Sounds good to me man. Less is almost always easier.

24. I think it's going to be better with less sub headings.

25. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

You and me both! I do the same, and I find change is rarely ever good...

26. Model T1

Model T1

These are my feelings too. There are so many great things of interest I just enjoy coming here and wandering around.
    When I get bored I hit the SEARCH.
    Thanks for caring about what the members think.

27. I'm with both of you. Change what you, will but keep one form that shows all posts.

28. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

Im down for whatever. Simplifying it will make it easier for newer users and reduce clutter. I usually just go to the general discussion area as it has all new posts from all the categories.

29. 19Fordy

19Fordy