Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford FE 'n' AOD into '55 Ford 2dr Engine Swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigDdy31, Dec 22, 2004.

1. BigDdy31

BigDdy31

Howdy guys and gals,

I'm starting to collect some info on a swap that I'd like to do in the future.

I want to drop a Ford FE 390 into a 1955 Ford 2 door car. Now I've looked at Crites, Transdapt, and Darkhorse but all their kits start at 1957 or if they are earlier, they're for trucks.

Yeah, I know I can bust out the torch and go to town but if there is a nicely finished mount kit available for about the same money as the kits for these later years then I would be a dummy not to get it to begin with.

So, if you would, tell me some stories if you have done this and/or give me suggestions about where else to look for kits.

Also, is there a Ford AOD tranny that would stand up to the FE and are there adapters?

Thanks a bunch

2. B-D31; If I'm not mistaken 54-55 Y-Block use the same motor mount as 57-59 car does. I did a 406 4sp in a 56 2d ht back in 1967 and I don't remember any fab work other than clutch linc. I also built a set of headers for it but can't remember if it was a necessity or just because I could. What ever you do stay away from Gearhead products, His parts are nothing but grief and his song is Bull Shit. As for an A.O.D. I'm not aware of anything for the FE.
    The Wizzard

3. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Butch's rod shop(now defunct) use to sell the kit......he has an obscure site,selling stuff for himself....he may be a contact for you to get the kit you need......wait a minute....lemme see If I locate the site.....

4. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

I was under the impression that an FE would bolt in but the steering box is somehow in the way.

5. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

http://coolrods.homestead.com/

I checked the site.....none of his links worked but there is a phone# for Walt.....he should be able to help.
    Good luck

6. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I have a passion for 55 fords......I never completed this one......mmnnnnnn.....

Attached Files:

7. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

notice the baby seat in the first pic! hahahahahah.....Brush jr. [​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

....oh yea.... [​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. kentucky

kentucky

55-56 Fords are fuckin' beautiful.

Google turned up this site http://www.transmissionadapters.com/ford_fe.htm As far as AOD strength, there are some behind some STOUT 5.0 mustangs, just like anything else, strenght (or speed) costs money, how strong or fast do you want it to go?

10. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Don't know of any FE-AOD adapters, but there's gotta be FE-Powerglide adapters out there for the drag-race crowd...might be able to adapt that to a 7004R or one of the later 4LG-whatever they are...

[​IMG]

11. FTF

FTF

Will a front sump FE clear your frontend? The Transdapt mt kits (Speedway)Etc. Will require a rear sump pan (4x4) 66 thru 76. The pickup will require a stud on the #3 main. This pan also uses its own dipstick (hard to find) so you have to plug the block and fab new dip stick. Headers will be a problem Sanderson's are $$. Overdrives can be had if your willing to part with lots of happy tickets. A C6 trans mt can be made from a single 2 x 2 x 1/4 M.S angle or equal.

12. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

About the only Ford tranny that wont give you grief with FE torque is the C6 and it can be built for whatever power and shifts you want.
    If you must have an OD then the Gearvendors unit is the way to go; pricey but built to last forever.

Also go with a 55-6 wagon rear or a 9".

13. B.D31; I'm not one to tell anybody what they should do generally. But here's how I would aproch it.Look at what I have and use a tape measure. The front sump oil pan mentioned in FTF's comment. Stock 55 Y-Block oil pan is front sump. The steering box problem mentioned by Deyomatic may in fact be why I built headers for my car. You certanly don't need to fab a new trans crossmember. This is a simple swap, don't make it difficult with bunch of aftermarket stuff that's not necessary.
    The Wizzard

14. old beet

old beet

I did a 56 Merc with a 390 GT. think you turn stock Ford motor mounts around and bolt it in! Can't remember if I used the Y bolck or F E mounts, but they were stock!. Also had to build headers. Fan spacer has to go, F E is longer. Was a good article in Hot Rod Mag early 60s that covers this swap in detail!!.............OLDBEET

15. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I haven't done the swap, but do know that the Y-Block motor mounts do bolt on to the FE mounts. I have seen the AOD-FE conversion done in a mag a couple of years ago. I can't remember who made the adapter, but it is out there.

16. PONY

PONY

I have a 53 Customline with a 351C/c6/9". I cut my stock frame of and made a rectangular tube frame and used an 1980 Chrysler K-member and suspension. Even then the left side exhaust was a real problem. I hacked up two sets of cheep headers, cutting and welding and finally went with the factory cast iron manifolds. Theres a lot of room in the engine bay on the early fords but as always the left side exaust realy bites. Good luck.

Attached Files:

17. BigDdy31

BigDdy31

Man, you guys are terrific. Thanks for all the good info. I'd love it if all I had to do was swap around the stock mounts FE/Y or vice versa.

Thanks for the pics Brush, that's definitely the general idea. These cars ARE really nice looking and I was really happy to make the deal to get it.

The reason I say future and can't do much measuring is that the car still lives with its previous owner and probably will until I can pick it up in the spring. So I'm trying to do my long range planning now so that it might go together a bit easier and quicker when I start to work.

So other than the tranny question it looks like the only sticky point is steering/left side exhaust clearance. Cool. Maybe it will give me a reason to make my first set of headers. I probably need the experience anyway. LOL

This car will also be getting the popular Granada front disc brake swap to help shut down Mr. FE.

Does anyone know also if a '57 9" rear is a direct bolt in? I think I am remembering that it is wider than the '55.

Ernie, that's a good idea about the FE/glide adapter and then onto a 700R4. I've seen those take some good power before when they're built for it. I don't anticipate that this 390 will be over 400 hp so I might be in good shape. I do really want some sort of OD because I want it for a regular driver and I have fallen in love with the mileage (Ok AND top speed LOL) that my current OD tranny has given me over the old 3 spd.

I'll check all those links and contacts to see what might be available that I haven't seen yet.

18. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

The FE to 700R4 swaps are fairly popular. At least a couple places sell the kit. I saw an article in HotRod within the last year.

19. burger

burger

Custom Rodder ran an article on this swap in 2004. I'd go dig up the magazine for you, but I just put all of my magazine boxes into storage so I can put a new floor in the office. Since you're planning long term anyway, I can mail it to ya when I find it.

Ed

20. BigDdy31

BigDdy31

[ QUOTE ]
    Custom Rodder ran an article on this swap in 2004. I'd go dig up the magazine for you, but I just put all of my magazine boxes into storage so I can put a new floor in the office. Since you're planning long term anyway, I can mail it to ya when I find it.

Ed

[/ QUOTE ]\

That would be much appreciated Ed. Seems like the places for mags around my house have sketchy availability and I frequently miss good articles unless I hit one of the huge mega bookstores which I just hate to do.

I'll PM ya but there's no rush so don't put yourself out.

And good luck on the floor. Peel 'n' stick? LOL

21. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

It always amazes me that car magazines don't run an index in their Dec issue or something...something you could pull out or photocopy & keep for reference. I'm forever trying to remember which magazine I saw an article in or what month it was, etc...

[​IMG]

22. BigDdy31

BigDdy31

[ QUOTE ]
    It always amazes me that car magazines don't run an index in their Dec issue or something...something you could pull out or photocopy & keep for reference. I'm forever trying to remember which magazine I saw an article in or what month it was, etc...

[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the truth. I'll bet they'd sell a lot more back issues if they all did that.

23. BigDdy31

BigDdy31

286merc, I've been checkin' out those Gearvendors ODs and they look sweet. They are crazy high priced but if I had that sort of cash, I would love to try one just to see what it was like. Apparently you really get a 'six speed' auto feel out of a 3 spd auto tranny. Wild. Anybody ever actually have one of these? Are they as cool as they look?

And yeah, on the rear end thing I would like to go with a '57-'59 9" or maybe an old Versailles disc brake 9" since this thing is going to be kinda heavy and need some help stopping. They're both between 57 - 59 inches in width so I think they will probably fit well.

24. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I have never used the GV OD, but I have heard rumors that they are noisy...seems they wouldn't be nearly as popular if they were as bad as I've heard though...maybe early ones?

[​IMG]

25. stevieh1954

stevieh1954

just finished a 390 in a 55 ford mainline no problems using stock motor mounts and had to do some work on cluck linage, I used a t10, front sump worked fine, used stock rearend

26. 9 years ago - he probably sorted it out by now ;)

27. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

He doesn't love us no more,last post was in 2005 :(