Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Prototype Turbo 6cyl Suburban

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dixiedog, Oct 17, 2013.

1. dixiedog

dixiedog

I picked this jewel up a few weeks ago, it's a 65 Chevy Suburban, bone stock with 292 6 in a row, 4spd, minimal rust, plenty of patina, nasty dents in quarters now here is the where it gets interesting.

The guy i got it from said it was from the GM testing grounds in Arizona, it has turbo and was a prototype that the engineers tested in the desert, it has the regular gas tank with 2 20 gallon + saddle tanks for a total of 60+ gallons of gas.
    The turbo looks old, the name tag logo looks more modern than the 60's BUT
    Boost gauge looks factory installed in the cluster.
    Radiator fan is notched perfectly each blade to clear the exhaust pipe.

He spoke with a fellow in Idaho that said GM made 10 of these that were supposed to be destroyed after testing and that the power made would be comparable to a decent V8 and great pulling power.

Anyone ever heard of this? I am trying to find out what i can

Attached Files:

2. ems customer service

ems customer service

a believable story, check the registration history, manufactures do not have to title factory owned vechiles, slap a manufacturers plate and go, lookat the quality of the install, these types of cars are very very well done, lots of expensive custom made parts.

when mercedes bought chrysler the contracted to install m-b engines in every plymouth, dodge just to see how they would fit. alot of money spent for " lets see"

3. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very Cool! Unusual to see a suck-through turbo. That needs to be restored to as-delivered condition.

4. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

That is a cool ride with an interesting story...I just feel bad for your wallet when you decide to fill up those gas tanks!

5. BAE has been around in So Cal doing turbo stuff for a long time, but I think only since the 70's. And since that is a BAE kit, I really doubt his story is true. But you can call BAE and ask them 626 576 7778

6. dixiedog

dixiedog

Hotroddon - thank you thank you! I thought that logo was too new for a 60's logo, i loved the story and without documentation i started to smell a little BS, I am going to call BAE and see what I find out.

Hendo - those saddle tanks are going bye-bye, a little too worried about side impact mid 70's Chevy truck go boom.
    But, they have an interesting bulk head / access hatch fitting on the sides, makes me think that the truck was close to the border so there maybe something in there besides gas residue.

Plan is to clean the 6 cylinder up, find a radiator, put a 700R4 or manual 5 spd behind it for mileage, disc fronts, static lower (I am too old to trust air bags) steelies and drive it. The odometer is at 67000 and all the wear areas tell me that much is true.

7. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

See if you can find the engine ID number stamped in the block. That might provide some insight. I'm not sure where it would be on a 292 though.

8. dixiedog

dixiedog

I ran the block number and it came up as a 292, it's on the passenger side midway towards bottom of block.

9. squirrel

squirrel

The "factory" story is BS, it was probably built in the 70s/early 80s by an individual. that vacuum/pressure gauge is just a fuel pump tester/vacuum gauge, very common, it's not a real boost gauge, and it's definitely not a GM part.

Neat truck, though

10. dixiedog

dixiedog

Thanks Squirrel, I thought it was BS but hoped the story was true. I really need to wear my glasses more to see close up, no fitting off the manifold for boost.

It will be fun to get running and driving and see what the little turbo can do. Luckily I don't have a ton invested in it.

11. 66caprice

66caprice
    BANNED
    from canada

As a long time suburban owner I do know that gm made all sorts of off model suburbans 3 cil diesels that went to Brazil so a turbo 6 seems like it could be factory that never went into production

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. 66caprice

66caprice
    BANNED
    from canada

Well the vacuum gage seems legit tee hee

13. 66caprice

66caprice
    BANNED
    from canada

Still one nice project pull the 6 and drop a 350 tbi in it and have fun with her

14. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I am Not a turbo pro but the way I look at it. It you are push more air under the carb how to you get more fuel???

15. Phucker

Phucker
    from Kansas

The base is just used as a mounting point, the turbo draws air/fuel through the carb. The outlet is what you see coming out the side, into the turbo. The formed metal tube, that looks like coolant piping, goes to the intake.

Cool Suburban, btw.

16. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

I think I should have studded the pic better. Thanks

17. 66caprice

66caprice
    BANNED
    from canada

Gm made a bunch of models ment for foreign country's with weird motor tranny set ups the vacuum gage /tester witch I have that same one could be cause the old one went and the previous owner made dew with some barn yard tech now im not saying its a true factory prototype but im not saying its not possible that it is and a lot of sourcing the part numbers / research needs to be done before you wright it of as a home built most people dont know gm made 3 cylinder diesel motors for suburbans so most will not know about a 6 cyl turbo

18. squirrel

squirrel

but some of us can recognize home built vs. factory built.....

19. 66caprice

66caprice
    BANNED
    from canada

And yes but when there testing something knew for and over seas model most will look home built cause its not a product model hence prototype made to work first maby it didnt make the hp needed for pulling and they scraped it its still a possibility slim yes but to look at it and say nope nope nope is a little premature

20. 66caprice

66caprice
    BANNED
    from canada

And if I showed you a pic of a 3 cyl diesel in one you would say the same thing

21. squirrel

squirrel

but you don't have the picture, so we'll never know.....

22. tlowe

tlowe

It has a OFFY intake. Nice easy turbo setup. Not from GM though.

23. 66caprice

66caprice
    BANNED
    from canada

Sorry your right and it was an in line 4 cyl 4L diesel that was sent down south

24. 66caprice

66caprice
    BANNED
    from canada

4.0 L straight-4 Maxion S4/S4T was the diesel option from gm in Brazil the pic is of the different body style

Attached Files:

25. squirrel

squirrel

I don't see how this is related....at all....

26. 66caprice

66caprice
    BANNED
    from canada

Wow your an argue in circles kind of guy have a nice day

27. squirrel

squirrel

I'm just bullshit intolerant. Sorry.

28. squirrel

squirrel

Heh...she's probably right! Keep smiling

29. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

That's a familiar looking tape deck in the dash---- a Pioneer?