Register now to get rid of these ads!

Putting a cam back to zero, how much does it move?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mojo, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Mojo

Mojo

I have a ford 302. The cam was moved to 6 degrees advanced on the crank gear. I'm moving it back to zero, with a new chain too. I put the new gears and chain on, and i'm not sure the cam moved at all. How much of a turn, at the cam, is 6 degrees? The pin took a little persuasion to go into the cam, would that have been it trying to move the cam 6 degrees back to zero?

Just wanting to double check myself before I button this thing up. Been a long time since i've done this stuff. Thanks!

2. Harvey29

Harvey29
    from kansas

Six degrees is not very far like probably a tooth

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. 54nomore

54nomore
    from illinois

Yeah, the cam would only be moving 3 degrees. That's like one half of one minute on a clock.

4. Mojo

Mojo

That's what I was hoping. I was thinking the resistence I had putting on the chain, was the cam repositioning itself. Hoping this solves my hard starting and total advance issues.

5. George

George

New chain? Typical new chain can stretch 2-3 degrees untill it settles down. Dialing in @ 0 will probably result in it being slightly retarded. A lot of the aftermarket cams do have some advance built in also, might check on that too.

6. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

Why would that have an effect on either?

7. oops - Cam timing has nothing to do with effecting your ignition timing.

Hard start and total timing is 100% in the distributor.

8. Just for reference: 1 minute one a clock is 6 degrees, so cam movement would be 1/2 a minute on the clock.

9. What's happening is the intake CL of the cam is being moved in relation to the piston's location. The pistons location is defined in degrees, not the cam's and in all cases as it related to top dead center.

We all know there's 360 degrees in a circle. & we all know the crack moves 720 degrees to every 360 degrees of cam revolution.
    Exactly 2x the amount and .....

Awe hell forget it ...