Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Online suorce for driveshaft tubing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AllSteel36, Oct 15, 2013.

1. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

The closest place I can find it doesn't have 3.5inch steel, just ChroMoly..they can order it, but I have to go in, pay up front...wait...then go pick it up..geesh, may as well order online and save 3 hours of driving.

Anyway...I figure many have ordered it on line...pretty sure I'd strike out in the wrecking yards, since I need 5 feet of it ('42 Ford pickup).

Thanks.

(PS-only thing I could stumble across online was Chromoly as well)

2. mphudak

mphudak
    from Atlanta

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  3. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

It's either 083 or .095, haven't located my calipers yet.

Good suggestion on the driveline shops, I have one somewhat near to me...hadn't thought about them selling raw materials.

Thanks

4. DERPR30

DERPR30
    from HARVEY LA

You might try scot industries

5. ev88f

ev88f

wouldn't some of the larger trucks have something around 5'? like f-150s or 1500s with an 8' bed?

6. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

Most long bed...shoot, even vans, have two piece drive shafts...I found a driveline shop who will sell me a piece...95 bucks for 5 feet..I'll get my ends off today and take them with me..he sounded apologetic on the price he gave me...maybe he'll make me a deal to put it together;)

Thanks all

7. mphudak

mphudak
    from Atlanta

Price doesn't sound too far off. After shipping you would likely be at or north of that for 5'. Might be worth them setting it up for you. They can cut the ends and set you up with proper phasing and balancing for a few bucks more.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

have the ends off...

Kinda what I was thinking as well. Built several in the past, but was when I had a large lathe, I'd chuck the shaft in it, have a helper rotate the chuck, and stick the Mig to it...but the lathe is gone...and my girls won't play...lol!

Thanks

9. Kawasakikid

Kawasakikid
    from Hinton ok

Was going to suggest a drive line shop in Oklahoma City , that I've used a few times but see ya got it covered! ...allsteel36 ...never ever sell your machine tools! After 40 years running machines, I am looking to buy a lathe for my home shop!

10. If you are building a drive shaft 5 feet long, have a driveline shop do it as you are reaching the limits of length vs diameter. Standard drive shaft tubing might not do the job, and if you have ever had one tie itself in a knot under your car you know what I'm talking about!

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. That would be a hell of a drive from California! :eek:

13. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

It should be fine, it's what Henry did in '42;)

14. AllSteel36

AllSteel36
    from California

I'd seen Fort Wayne's prices, they ship UPS..and like you say, it wouldn't get here to save any $$.