Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects COE build thread - "Git r' done"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kscarguy, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kscarguy

kscarguy

I wonder if the wind noise is being caused by air trying to come through the gaps around the windshield. I may try filling it with some foam. It is louder than my Model A coupe was and that had flat glass and a visor. It's so loud tht I can't hear the engine to tell how fast it is revving.

2. Just as a test why not seal up the windshield edges with 2" masking tape, if it still makes a noise then tape up other areas until you find the source, or you could slow down
    I thought you would be half way to Kansas by now.

Bill

3. kscarguy

kscarguy

I wish I was in Kansas already but I ran into a VERY big issue. After my first drive on the highway, I saw oil all over the back of the cab. I replaced the seal in the timing cover since that seems to be where the oil was coming from. Unfortunately, on my test drive today, it still puked oil all over the cab (about a 1/4 cup on a 10 mile drive).

I checked my PCV valve at idle and high RM and it has good suction. So I was going to replace the entire timing cover and seal, but first I removed my solid oil fill cap and replaced it with a breather type cap, that helped a lot. On a 26 mile drive, it still leaked, but maybe only 1 tablespoon of oil. I don't know why it does this and only under load. Just setting and running at idle it is fine.

I wonder if I should run two PCV valves or plumb it directly into the manifold. Any ideas?

I also filled half the tank up with 91 octane and the 400 loved that. Tomorrow I will drive back to back 26 mile trips and then fill the tank again, I should be able to estimate my MPG then.

FYI -I did tape over the windshield cracks this morning and it does make a huge difference. Still loud, but not as bad. I can hear the drone of the mufflers now.

NOTe - Tore it apart and discovered the seal was damaged.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  4. Hi Mike
    Well just to get you to Kansas with your eardrums intact, I would leave the masking take on there till you get to your new home.
    I drove my COE into town today with my new windshield seals in place and it still makes a lot of noise, guess I will just have to turn the stereo up a bit more.

I started the COE today and then drove it into town for LPG inspection and Noise test, I got held
    up at the railway crossing, it then boiled, so I drove it to a nearby servo filled it up with LPG and to let it cool down, of course it wouldn't start , so we pushed away from the bowsers and down the road to a Auto repair yard and asked if I could leave it there for a couple of hours, I then hitched a ride home and came back in my Mazda
    with a new old starter and fitted it, instant start, I got the inspections done at the local Ford Dealer and drove it home where it overheated again,
    I then hitched a ride back into town to pick the Mazda up, only one more hurdle to go, getting the engineer's inspection over with on Saturday.
    It was a record heatwave today.

Seeya
    Bill

5. kscarguy

kscarguy

It runs and drives. The front seal got repaired last night and after this mornings test drive, I had spray all over the back of the cab again...disappointment. Later in the day my neighbor noticed it was green, NOT oil, but antifreeze!.. I had a leaking coolant overflow hose as well as a bad front seal (yep ithe seal was torn and damaged). I've loaded it down with tools and strapped my engine hoist and jack to the bed. Tomorrow we head for KC...gulp!

Attached Files:

6. C.G

C.G
    from AL.

Good luck today. I've been following this thread with great interest. Kinda living it vicariously I guess.

7. kscarguy

kscarguy

MADE IT...!!! (and I only broke once) I was 1/2 mile from my destination and it started running really rough. Looks like a burnt plug wire. What a fun drive., it really reminded me of being a kid and driving my first home made go-karts.

Of all my hotrods, this is by far the most fun to drive. I got many thumbs ups, lots of gas station inquiries and watched one guy almost drive off the highway as he gawked. I took video as I drove and need to figure out how to load it here.

8. C.G

C.G
    from AL.

Thanks for the update, glad you made it! Looking forward to the video...

9. Patrick46

Patrick46

Woo-Hoo!!! Glad you're safe & sound. (and so is the truck!!) :D

10. Glad you made it . Now the fun of setting up a new household . Keep us informed .

11. xtremek

xtremek

This is one of my favorite threads, thanks for sharing your adventures. Glad to see you made it safe.

12. kscarguy

kscarguy

I learned a lot from this drive. I'll share some my thoughts...

The heat from the radiator does heat up the floors a little. I have steel floor, carpet pad and carpet. I will add some plywood under the pad to stop the heat.

The area between the seat riser and door, is a good place for a drink tray, and power port.

WInd noise is bad. I think some comes from the mirrors. I will add insulation above the windshield frame under the header panel.

With just the door windows down, there is very little air flow in the cab.

Wide beds = door dings. I watched someone hit their door into my bed (luckilty it's not painted yet). In parking spots, they take up a lot of room.

At night, when looking to see the passenger side mirror, the gauges clearly reflect in the passenger door glass and make it hard to see the mirror.

Sitting higher make it feel slower than you are actually going.

You can feel the road somewhat through the front tires. Softer shocks and lower air pressure tires (mine run 41 pounds) would help the ride, but it's not terrible.

Gas stations are magnets for lookers and questions. Lots of friendly folks like COE trucks.

Humming Bob Segar songs makes road trips fun...~!

13. dwaynerz

dwaynerz

Sitting higher make it feel slower than you are actually going.

told that to a cop once in my big truck otr driving days... he didnt buy it.

14. xtremek

xtremek

Bob Seger makes everything better!! But I am from the Detroit area, so I am biased.

15. daddio211

daddio211

16. kscarguy

kscarguy

I particularly identified with the lyric: "...you can listen to the engine droning out its one long song."

17. farmer12

farmer12

Sounds like Metallica to me! (and Bob Seger).

(you can listen to the engine moanin' out its one note song.)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  18. Why do you think women thing they are Mario Andretti when they get in a mini-van! LOL

19. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I had this loud whistling noise in my 36, could not figure it out till one day I put a piece of electrical tape on the leading edge of my mirrors and it went away, the rubber holding the glass in stuck out 1/2 a mm from the stainless and was enough to be heard over the engine and stereo! I eventually just took a razor blade and shaved that tiny bit of rubber off.

20. kscarguy

kscarguy

Soo...trimming the rubber made you stop whistling to the radio? :):rolleyes:

21. LN7 NUT

LN7 NUT

I stuck the rubber in my ears! :D

22. kscarguy

kscarguy

23. dwaynerz

dwaynerz

agreed wolfcreek.

24. kscarguy

kscarguy

I am so bummed. My faithful co-pilot was diagnosed with cancer and is now living on borrowed time. She made the maiden voyage with me in my COE on my trip to Kansas and I will forever be grateful she was well enough to make the trip.

[​IMG]

25. mx6262

mx6262

Sorry to hear about your co pilot.

Hope it goes as well as it can bro.

That Sucks.

26. When we open our hearts to the joy of a pet, we also open our hearts to the sadness of their passing. I've been through the joy and sadness of many "friends and co-pilots", but a new one always seems to find a place in my heart. Remember through the sadness, to let them go when it is their time, and then move on to the joy of a new one. This will keep your heart full!

27. Hi Mike
    Sorry to hear about your Co-Pilot, I am sure she will be "with" you on many COE trips
    All you can do is be with her and give her heaps of affection
    It doesn't get any easier towards the end and I have been there a few times.

Seeya
    Bill

28. So sorry to hear about your dog . Lost mine this year and its still lonely .

29. xtremek

xtremek

Bummer, sorry to hear.

30. kscarguy

kscarguy

This is for you Bill...(Nothing like using my space wisely right...?)

Before I moved in...

[​IMG]

And After I moved in...

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.