Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Ed Iskenderian

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Ran across this photo of Ed and his famous car but obviously it was before he refined and painted it,,I don't recall ever seeing this photo in the past. HRP

[​IMG]

There are the photos I'm familiar with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  2. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

I believe on John Athan's page on the AHRF site. There are photos of the car with a 4cyl in it still....

3. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

4. I met Ed at Thompson a few years back. He walked over and ask what cam I was running. Without thinking I said crower. He preceded to tell me sorry for your luck. Sad part I knew who he was, felt stupid should have lied. :rolleyes: But a very nice guy. talked for a good while afterwards

5. That car can't be traditional its painted. :D

That is probably the neatest T of all time and you never see it in an article about Ts in any of the magazines.

6. 5window

5window

Great photos. Ed was a fairly husky guy for those times. Usually you see guys from the 40's-60's pretty thin-diet? rationing or smoking, I don't know.

7. Took these at Hot Rod Reunion last year. Ed's a great guy. Run into him now and then, like SEMA last year and sat with him at the NHRA finals one year.

Attached Files:

8. I really like this last photo and I don't recall ever seeing it before.....Soooooo cool.

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Does any body know what the frame rails under Ed's car started under? don't believe I have ever heard it discussed.

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I believe they were 22 Essex. Essex rails were used for a lot of race cars and hot rods. Essex was a Hudson product and they were known for using the best steel.

He also used Plymouth hydraulic brakes. When he first built this car, Ford hydraulics weren't out yet. He built the car in 1938, Ford hydraulics started in 1939.

11. The Hot Rod feature says Essex rails.

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

If someone had a June 1948 issue of Hot Rod some build details will be in the feature on this car.Grill shell is made from two 1933 Pontiac shells. Bob

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

You know, I guess I do remember reading that. Those sure don't look like Essex rails though. It seems to me the natural kick in the Essex rails would have occurred before the 90degree kick in the body off picture.

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

I agree, wonder if that is a stock T frame that was plated with Essex rails?Note the rear spring is in front of the rear axle, and I can't see any rear radius rods. :) Bob

15. Met Ed at El Mirage earlier this year when we were over, and he invited us out to lunch the next week. He gave us the full shop tour for a couple hours, and when we went to do lunch at his local burger joint I suggested he should just jump into the rental with us. All was cool till we walked back out to the car after lunch and I remembered I had stuck a couple Clay Smith decals on the side glass so we wouldn't lose the rental in a big parking lot.:eek:

Well, you guessed it. He spotted them (I gotta say, at 92 years old, he's way more alert than anyone I know half his age), and after a bit of good natured ribbing, he proceeded to give us a fairly good (very positive and respectful) rundown on his recollections of 'Mr. Horsepower'.

Is it OK to have two cam grinder heroes?;)

I have been fortunate enough to meet 4 of my biggest idols, Norm Grabowski, Thom Taylor, Tom Fritz and Billy Gibbons (not easy when ya' live in New Zealand) but I really do have to say, Ed is probably the coolest guy I have ever got to spend time with!:cool::)

Bear:)

16. MikeRose

MikeRose
    from Yuma, AZ

He told me Essex. I had a 22 T roadster at the time and he was kind enough to talk to me about his car. It's probably my favorite hot rod of all time.

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Iconic ride. Thanks for bringing it up, HRP.

18. autobilly

autobilly