Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1932 Pickup Garage Find - They are still out there

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by mark-h-a, Oct 16, 2013.

1. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

I'd go the resto-rod way also. That truck is in too good condition to hot rod. Enjoy

2. Cymro

Cymro

Great find, I'm jealous, seriously how about a good clean and polish, refurbish only what is necessary bodywise(if at all ,it seems to be in super condition), then a mechanical check and refurb, and perhaps some mechanical updating(bolt on's only), I really like the well cared for survivor look not RR (the exact opposie to Rolls Royce) real paination is too good to waste. Dropped front, get an axle keep the OG this truck is unmolested and needs to be cared for.

Good Luck with the project.

3. Build it anyway you want,,just build it!

But the '32 pickups sure make bitchin' hot rods! HRP

[​IMG]

4. hotrodhoodlum

hotrodhoodlum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

that is a great find and even a better story without all the usual BS frosting
    good luck

5. mark-h-a

mark-h-a
    from Corona, CA

Wow... A lot of great responses. Everyone loves a find. My Dad went with me to pull it from it's resting place yesterday and when we got it on the trailer and started to pull away... I stopped on the side of the dirt road. My dad looked at me like "is everything ok?". I told him a just wanted a minute to enjoy the moment. A true dream and memory that I will never forget. The find alone but then doing it with my dad. Ok enough of the sentimental crap.

I am still trying to asses the entire condition. The bed definitely got used and abused in its day. I would love to just clear the entire truck, but I am not sure yet if we will be able to do that. One fender and one door needs repair at the hinge. I think we will probably restore it with a dropped axle and some new brakes. But one thing that drives me nuts for some reason is that spare tire it the passenger fender. I think that may have to go.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Sweet find, kool for you and your dad to now enjoy it together!

7. Be sure to see Richard Lacy at [email protected], (626) 338-2282 about the brakes. Well worth the drive. Depending on how bad your bed is Mac Hills makes a reproduction. My guess is that CW Moss cwmossautoparts.com, (714) 639-3083 might have one in stock you could look at. Go slow, they are only original once. If the spare tire leaves the fender where would it go? I always liked them there. You might want to post your find on fordbarn.com and get their comments.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  8. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

Great find! looks like a neat old survivor. My vote is to go through mechanicals and fix only body stuff that is absolutely necessary thus maintaining the neat survivor finish it has. Update the brakes maybe and maybe some bolt on speed equipment and an old drop-axle. IMHO, it would be a really neat truck with the old finish that you could enjoy right away with your dad! Sometimes not doing a full restoration and just going through the mechanicals is the best way to go. Either way enjoy it!

9. hotrodsneverdie

hotrodsneverdie

Beautiful pickup. I love the bangers. Congrats.

10. If you decide to lean towards the restoration side the Early Ford V8 Club (earlyfordv8.org) has an excellent book called "The 1932 Ford Book". Places like CW Moss might have one you could look through. The book leans towards the passenger car side but almost all of you chassis and a lot of other parts are common to the passenger car. My vote would be to clean it up and drive it before you get too far into it.

Charlie Stephens

11. Really nice find and exactly what I am looking for. Restore it and drive it :cool:

12. mark-h-a

mark-h-a
    from Corona, CA

I actually ordered a copy of this book on Sunday night. Can't wait for it to arrive.

13. While he is with you, I'd do it his way. You can always change it later. Also get the 32 ford book from the early ford v8 club.

14. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

SCOOOOORE! Awesome find. Here's one I had many moons ago.

Attached Files:

• d2.jpg
      d2.jpg
      File size:
      239.5 KB
      Views:
    • d1.jpg
      d1.jpg
      File size:
      220.9 KB
      Views:
  15. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Very cool pickup project... no matter what you decide to do with it.
    Congrats on the find!

Malcolm

16. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Fenders are Bitchen...So is the other way too!! Either way you can't go wrong! Have fun making that descision with your Pop!

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. Yep, what he said. At 83 how many more builds are left in him. This one should be more about him and less about you. Be happy to do one with Pops, their only around so long.

18. mark-h-a

mark-h-a
    from Corona, CA

Yep... I agree. That's why I was in a hurry to find something. And like many said, I can always change it later.

19. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Mark, great score. I can see both of the restore it and rod it arguments. Why not resto rod it? My '46 woodie looks stock on the outside with a modern drive train underneath. The resto guys don't get pissed off and I cruise at 70 with my hot rod friends. Your truck would be great with a nice warmed over flatty, juice brakes, modern shocks lower it a tad and keep the body stock.

20. Get it running with dad asap, build the banger and while you and him are driving all over build a good blown Flattie for it, best of both worlds, workin with dad all the way......................sounds great to me

21. Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  22. They are certinly still out thers! I just missed a nice 32 npick-up a mile away from the
    house. All original, v8 very little rust. A nice start. I probily could have had it for about
    $4000. Buy the time i found it the owner signed up with an action co. It sold for $8000, was still a good buy.

23. Congratulations - What a great start either way you decide to build it. I've got a 32 cab on it's way to me. I hope to be able to build it with one on my kids one day. Keep us posted.

24. mark-h-a

mark-h-a
    from Corona, CA

We have decided to do a full restoration back to 99.9% original. I think the only thing we will change is a dropped axle in the front to change the stance a little. We have started the disassembly but wanted to see if the motor would run first.

Someone had mounted the fuel pump upside down and it needed a little tlc. Then the carb was rebuilt. The distributor shaft has a lot of play, and the water pump leaks a little. Nothing that should have prevented it from running. We used a fuel jug because the tank has a lot of rust.

After making sure we had spark and doing an initial timing, we squirted some fuel in the carb and cranked her over. The problem is with the distributor drive having so much play, we had no way of knowing if the timing was really correct. So while Dad cranked I just turned the distributor until she came to life!!! It took her a while to burn off all the old oil and crap but then idled really well.

We then got a little too ambitious. We hooked up the fuel tank and drove her around the block. She drove well and stopped well for mechanical brakes. But about half way around the block she ran out of gas. The rusty tank had completely clogged the fuel filter. We pushed her down the street and got her started again with the gas jug to get her in the garage.

We then continued in pulling things apart. All in all, a pretty great day in the beginning of a build.

Question for other builders. We need someone that is good to sandblast the body and frame and lay down a coat of epoxy primer to start our work on. Anyone know someone in Corona/Riverside area that is trust worthy and will not warp the panels while blasting?

Thanks,
    Mark

25. Sounds like that was a great day!
    Can't wait for pictures of your progress

26. Awesome little truck. Have fun with Dad. I lost my Pops about 6 weeks ago and wish I had one more project with him.

Slddn- that primered, fendered pickup is just my style

27. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Make this build about your Pop, like another HAMBR suggested. You will NEVER regret it, and you will have rockin' chair memories involving your Dad. Good luck on a great project.

28. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Mark...dude...ya gotta show us a shit load of pics if your gonna do a build thread...sheez.

:p

29. mark-h-a

mark-h-a
    from Corona, CA

I know. Sorry. I am bad at posting pictures. I will try to get some up here later today. Is there a way to post a video direct to the site? I have a short video of the banger running.