Register now to get rid of these ads!

1934 Chevy Master or Standard

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sodas38, Oct 15, 2013.

1. sodas38

sodas38

Well I've picked up a 34 Chevy Coach but can't determine if its a standard or master. I got several measurements from someone with a master and they match up. However there are 3 things that throw it off from what I've read on the interweb.

I've read that Standard rear fenders bolt up under the body instead of into the side. This is what mine does. Also my wheelbase is 109" whichever doesn't match either standard or master. My car has a leaf spring front, Masters came with knee action. It's got me confused.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

2. Master of None

Master of None

If yours has the I beam axle up front it is a standard .

3. Jokester

Jokester

I think you have a Master. The Standard had the instrument cluster in the middle and no glove box.

.bjb

4. F&J

F&J

I say Standard for just one reason....and I could be wrong.

Your hubcap looks small. The standard had a 4.25" boltcircle 5 lug, and master was 6 lug with kind of a puffy looking center hub on the wire wheel.

5. Slimmey

Slimmey

Definitely a Master dash. what does your firewall look like? Standard had a deep recess, Master had a shallow ( 1" or so then flat) wheel base has me stumped, Standard should be 107", Master 112".

6. Slimmey

Slimmey

Oh, Nice ride! Was going to post pic of master firewall, but it won't load.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  7. Egghead

Egghead

Agree with Jokester.

8. Wally

Wally
    from Iowa

Someone could have built that car back in the 60's or something and converted some pieces from a Standard to a Master. Change out the dash and maybe the grill shell. Maybe the frame he had was junk so he used a different frame that he had lying around. Isn't 109 inches what a 31 or 32 Chevy has for a frame length?

9. sodas38

sodas38

I got under and tried to look at the frame, thinking maybe they changed out the front years ago. The frame is gas axed just rear of the front spring mount. Someone's done something to it. The bright work on the hood, headlights even the garnish is chrome, all leads me to believe its a Master. The dash too. I bet they did something to the frame or switched it out altogether.

10. wisebri24

wisebri24

My 35 standard has 107 wheelbase. 5 lugs. Straight axle. X cross member chassis.

11. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

rear fenders are master and grill/headlites appear to be master. Also, standard had shorter hood and no trim on hood louvers. The wheels have been changed as well, as should have 17". Noticed pedals are not org., so the beam axle has probably been installed at some point.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Master. Instruments & glove box along with knee action front suspension. Centre x-member is different. When I get home I will post frame & hood specs. Body & panels are not interchangable. I used a Master instrument cluster on my Standard. Not hard to swap a dash.

13. sodas38

sodas38

I've read the dash's do not swap between master and standard as the Standard is 7/8 the size of the Master. Here are some measurements I got off another thread, these are from a Master 2 Door sedan.
    Back (side window length) - 30 3/4"
    Front Door Length- 41 1/2"
    Back of front door to front of rear fender - 7 1/2"
    Running board length - 49 1/4"
    Hood length (side panel) - 42 1/4"
    Cowl vent is hinged from the front

14. primed34

primed34

Looks like a Master to me. Kneeaction front was an option and wheel base measurements from the factory were all over the place from car to car. Rear fenders are Master. No trouble to swap dashes. As best I remember, all '34s had front hinged cowl vents.

15. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

33 Series CA Master 110" wheelbase
    33 Series CC Standard 107" wheelbase
    34 Series DA Master 112" wheelbase
    34 Series DC Standard 107" wheelbase
    35 Series EA Master 113" wheelbase with Dubonnet "Knee" action suspension
    35 Series ED Master 113" wheelbase with beam axle suspension
    35 Series EC Standard 107" wheelbase

Your tape measure is your friend.
    Find the data plate and verify series.
    109" wheelbase doesn't match any 33-35 Chevy passenger car, only 32 and earlier had models with 109" wheelbase.

16. Slimmey

Slimmey

As primed said, dash is the same size W & H, std & master cowl vents opened at rear. I think the earlier merc/eagle series dashes were different. 1st cowl pic is a master, 2nd is std.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  17. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

That's a '34 Master with '33 Eagle wheels ...

18. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Actually, the dashboards are a direct swap.

19. raymay

raymay

In 1934 Knee-Action was new and available for all models. Not sure if yours has the original motor but in 34 the Master series came with a new engine called the Blue Flame.
    Master series had 112"wb and Standard series had 107"wb.
    You can also check your serial number. The Master series starts with a "DA" prefix and the Standard series starts with a "DC" prefix.
    Can not tell from your pictures if it has a trunk on the back which was the Master series 2dr Town Sedan (3,020 pounds). Without the trunk were the most popular 2 door Coach cars which came in Master series (2,995 pounds) and Standard series (2,565 pounds).
    Whatever it turns out to be, it looks like you got a great car. Enjoy

20. Richard Head

Richard Head

You can tell a 34 master from a standard by the reveal on the back fender. The master appears to have a wheel opening that is too small for the wheel. The standard has about the same proportions as a similar year Ford. The difference is most evident on street roddy styled cars.

The master was the only one to get the stainless strip on the edges of the horizontal hood louvers.

By the look of the rear fenders, the dash and the hood chrome, I'd say that car was a master.

Dave

21. Does NOBODY read the freakin' post BEFORE they start spouting off their expert knowledge??!!?? The OP already said that the frame has been hacked up and stitched back together. Giving him wheelbase dimensions at this point is irrelevant.

Judging from what is there on the body, as some have already pointed out, this is a '34 Master. It is essentially the same body as the '35 Standard, except for the rear panel ('35 is one big piece, '34 has a seperate tail pan piece), and the dash is different (but they are a direct bolt in swap).

Either way, a very nice car. Check out my albums for pics of my '35.

22. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a '35 Standard 2dr in '67, which is very similar if not the same as your '34, and the title said 1935 Chevrolet Coach. It had twin elliptics front and rear like yours but the dash insert was in the center of the dash, unlike yours. It looks to be a Standard. Master Deluxes in '35 had heavy suicide doors and the top of the body was not so square. Hope this helps.