Register now to get rid of these ads!

Registering a Fenderless Hot Rod in Connecticut

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gas_Tires_Oil, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

I know I'm gonna have some hassles registering an out of state fenderless hot rod that I'm buying. Anyone here on the HAMB from CT that can shed some light on what I can expect?

Thanks for any help.

Gas

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Contact your DMV and get the facts.

3. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

There should be a web-site for your state DMV. Look up out-of -state registration. It will tell you what needs to be done. In Cali, if you have a clear title, all you need is a vin verification, which can be done by your local PD, DMV or CHP.

4. F&J

F&J

Fenders & bumpers are required, but there are plenty here without.

If the car was registered in CT, then you DON'T need to go to DMV to have the VIN looked at. If it's out-of-state, then you DO need to go to DMV to get the VIN verified.

By rights, they are only supposed to look at your VIN, not inspect the car. However, I doubt they will ignore the missing parts.

I just talked with a guy who drove to Enfield DMV with a fenderless 32 to get verified. But there just happened to be a State Trooper there and he told the owner to "go home, get fenders, bumpers and quiet exhaust".

If you get lucky, you may find a certified repair garage that will verify your VIN, without having to bring the car to MVD. Depends on who you ask; some say garages can't do that anymore. Rumor has it that there is still some that can.

Catch 22; If you find a way to get registered without fenders, you still could get ticketed by a Town or State cop, and they could give you a "inspection required" ticket. Bad thing about that, is you would have to go to a DMV inspection or worse yet, have to go to the dreaded Weathersfield main DMV inspection. Either way, it won't be good.

I've talked with lots of owners and they say you won't get stopped & ticketed unless you are asking for it. :)

P/S, if you are hoodless, they want a fan guard, belt guards, & shields over hot exhaust parts.

5. Rich68

Rich68
    from Warren, CT

Everything F&J says is true, and here's another one to fear:

Sidepipes are illegal in CT unless OEM, and their definition of "sidepipes" is loose.

6. It does not have to be a cop to do a VIN verification. It can be done by any garage that does smog checks. Lots of fenderless cars here in CT. For the most part you won't get your balls busted if you behave.
    All sorts of shit is not allowed here Air bags, Side pipes, Openwheels ect.

Todd

7. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

Thanks guys, that's what I was looking for. Real world experiences. It was registered out of state so I guess I'm in for a reaming. If anyone knows of a certified repair garage, please pm or email me.

Thx,
    gas

[email protected]

8. If it was registered out of state all you need it the old registration/title. some states don't give out titles for vehicles over 10yrs old. Go to DMV with this stuff and they will give you a 10 day temp registration. Find someone to do the VIN check and them go back to DMV and get your plates.

Todd

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

If the car has a chopped top it may not pass either depending on the amount of windsheild hight. As mentioned above driving without fenders boils down to the mood of the cop when you drive by.

10. Rich68

Rich68
    from Warren, CT

Todd-

Are you saying that even with pre-emissions vehicles, if you bring it to one of those shops, they can do a VIN verification for you? IF so, where did you go? Way I read the rules on the website, you must go to a "Full Service DMV location." I'd love to learn if the trip can be shortened. My nearest DMV is Winstead, but they don't do VIN checks there.

11. F&J

F&J

Rich68; The website has had incorrect info in the past on several things. I wanted to go to Willimantic DMV for a VIN check maybe 3-1/2 years ago, but the CTDMV site said no VINS are done there. I just went back for temps 1-1/2 months ago, and they told me to come back there for a VIN check and I did. I am pretty sure the website still says "full service" for VINS, but that's not true, because Willimantic is not a full service but still did my VIN.

As far as which private garages can do a VIN, maybe it is all the ones that are set-up for smog. But you'd still need to find one that will not put up a fuss if you bring in a non-legal car. I'll bet there are some that won't care, but you need to find out which ones.

12. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

I know of 2 different streetrods registered here in the last year that were vin verified only at a garage NOT a DMV office 1 was a Milner coupe clone all new .The second was a 31 A coupe on a repop 32 frame again almost a Milner coupe other than body year and color. In both cases body # were verified at a local shop.I have had the Vin # verified on an out of state car with the car on a trailer again no questions at DMV when I got plates.The Verifications ar done on a form from the garage that does the check

13. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

So, if I'm reading things right it may be super easy to register the car. I have 2 friends who own garages that are also emissions stations. I'll hit them up and see what they say.

14. Rich68

Rich68
    from Warren, CT

To help out all interested in this thread, here is what I found out with a little digging (CT has all of their statutes on the web, for free).

CT General Statute 14-12r is the law that governs VIN verifications for out of state vehicles. It expressly states that it can be done by an emissions shop or dealer. And, if anyone tells you "not anymore," you should know that by "Public Act No. 07-212" they just amended the statute effective 10/1/07 to allow the shop to charge you $20 if there is no emissions test associated with it.

Check it out:

Sec. 14-12r. Inspection of vehicle identification number. Before issuing registration for any motor vehicle that has not been previously registered in this state, except a new motor vehicle, the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles may require an inspection of the manufacturer's vehicle identification number. Such an inspection may be performed at any designated official emissions inspection station or by any other business or firm authorized by the commissioner to perform safety inspections in accordance with sections 14-12 and 14-16a or by any motor vehicle dealer or repairer, licensed in accordance with section 14-52 and meeting qualifications established by the commissioner. If the inspection is performed by a licensed dealer or repairer, an affidavit shall be furnished to the commissioner in accordance with the provisions of subsection (d) of section 14-99h.

Now, can any of you guys recommend an "enthusiast friendly" shop in NW CT?

15. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

I know absolutely nothing about registering a car in CT, but a good rule to follow is fix everything that you can in order to meet required standards before inspection. For example, route the exhaust under the car with quite mufflers, put on fenders (like trailer or motorcycle style), put on a PCV, adjust the ride height to meet whatever the law requires, and make sure the tires are good and are DOT rated type. In other words, reduce every risk of rejection that you can by eliminating as many possible reasons for rejection as you possibly can. You can always undo all this after the inspection and registration (at the risk of a local ticket).

16. brandon

brandon

a buddy of mine sold his 32 "roadster pickup" to guy from ct.... the guy called me almost a year later and was still having trouble getting it tagged and transfered...same deal .....fenders , exhaust , top , etc....a lot of little stuff.....never did hear if he got it done....getting it in his name , i mean .... brandon :D

17. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

Hey..
    What da hell'z up ??
    Gonna PM mail ya 2- nite..( IDEAS) Haz ta roll rite now
    Pontiac Slim

18. Donald Doc

Donald Doc

In order to have a vin verification done in an emissions garage the vehicle must have vin #'s in two locations (one on the dash one on the door) if the vehicle has only one # plate (only on dash or on fender under the hood) the garage can not verify the vin it has to be done at the dreaded D.M.V. bring a magazine I know this I bought an out of state car and went thru the process good luck

19. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

My experience with this was about 4 years ago. Brought a fenderless and chopped hotrod in from out of state. Went to Enfield DMV while it was still on the trailer to get a VIN check. Inspector asked me if I was going to put fenders on it and I told him yes and that it was a project still under construction. He did the VIN check without any further questions.

I think the bottom line is that the DMV is there to do the VIN checks and not to inspect the car. If the car is in violation then it's really up to the cops to enforce that on the street. Luckily I have not had any problems with cops so far, but it could happen anytime I take the car out as in addition to the lack of fenders it also has a good chop, cheater slicks, and loud side pipes.

20. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

This is not true everywhere as I stated earlier I know a shop right here that will do A VIN check on cars with 1 number (cars older than 69) I have had at least 6 cars done here with 1 number the last being a 27 T coupe a few months back. The coupe was unrestored and sitting on a trailer clearly unfit for road use at the time, Only thing he was interested in was matching the 1 number on the car to the Florida paperwork no hassles what so ever. This shop is a Ct. inspection station from long time back, It is a shop you would bring your car to AFTER you fixed something you got an"inspection required"ticket for like a light out. He is currently also an Emissions test station but has been a State of Ct. VIN verification station for at least the last 15 years. Most of your emission stations are younger than that and they are trained to look for more than 1 number and will tell you "The car must have 2 matching numbers" because they don't know any better! This shop has been in operation a long damn time and he knows what he's doing and is a Car Guy" even if not our type of car guy Oh and that 27 T coupe was registered the next day Before hot rodding took place it now has about 5,000 miles on it.

21. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

Rick I can't help you in the NW corner BUT I do know a very good inspection station here in the N.E corner! I have had multiple pre 69 (1 VIN ) cars done here with no hassles at all. All he's interested in is that he can match a VIN to the papers provided condition of the car does not matter for the VIN check see my other posts here.

22. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

CT. Composite vehicles are not required to have a top or windshield wipers,Heater/defroster IF it does not have a top. If it has a top at inspection it must have electric or vacuum wipers not manual and must have heater/defroster for the windshield. Look up " Composite Vehicle" at Ct. DMV online for the rules or ask for print a copy of them at any DMV office. I picked up a printed manual at Willimantic DMV 2 weeks ago. Fenders / bumpers can look like crap as long as the last though the inspection without falling off! They can however fall off after you pass without any hassles. :) Composite Vehicles must be brought to Weathersfield DMV on a flat bed or trailer " NO part of a composite vehicle may touch the road until such vehicle passes safety inspection by the State of Ct. DMV.

23. Just got back from DMV. Got my fenderless 30 Coupe registered without a hitch. Had the VIN verified by the local garage that does emissions. The even came to my house to do it!
    I used the frame number since the engine number and frame number don't match.
    EASY DAY!!! Todd

24. pitman

pitman

Good to hear Mr. Tug!
    The NE states tend to inspect/reg/title along similar lines.
    The underlying thread (no pun intended) in this conversation,
    comes back to; if you drive right, unless the cop is bored, or P'd off,
    they will leave you well enough alone.

25. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

I never followed up on this thread. I only had to have the VIN number checked and got it registered no problem. Got it checked at a local garage. Whew! Because it was registered when I bought it from out of state they said that was all I had to do. FTF!!!
    Got my new Antique vanity plate too. "HEAP" !!

26. Vin check is just that. They do not care if the car runs or has mufflers or a top at all. Did it twice once with a car not running at all. Best bet go to emission station not DMV. once you get Vin check just bring the paperwork to the DMV. Also do not bring Title. Just bill of sale. If you give the DMV your title you will not get it back. Dealing with police on the road another story.

27. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

so your ready to get "toasted" by a Poncho powered A? LOL

28. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

LOL! You'd be the guy to do it Slim! Just don't get pulled over this time!

29. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man, I really feel for you Connecticutites. Seems that fuckin' state bust your balls about registration of hotrods just as it does about owning firearms. Move to Texas, and on the way down, salute those state pricks with the middle finger. Come on down.

30. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got another suggestion. Jack Chisenhall and some other SEMA guys received favorable treatment in D.C. (I believe) when they testified about problems incurred by streetrod owners which covered registration, special license plates, etc. Y'all might contact Jack at his business, Vintage Air in San Antonio, ph# 210-654-7171. Jack Chisenhall and his sidekick Rick Love are standup guys.