Register now to get rid of these ads!

Parts washer solvent recommendations

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stovebolt55, Jun 24, 2013.

1. repeater

repeater

Home depot sells a low-vapor Kerosene that works wonders.

2. fsae0607

fsae0607

Wow, was a different time back then!

It's funny, at the big box stores (at least here in Cali) where they sell the solvents in the paint aisles, there's signs saying that by law, you must use the products for their intended purpose. :rolleyes:

I didn't get questioned when I only had five one-gallon containers of mineral spirits in my cart! :eek:

3. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

The info I found on Exxon's website indicates that Varsol is about the same as kerosene or mineral spirits, but is specially formulated to have a narrow boiling point. I guess that means it lasts longer in a heated parts washer because you don't lose the volatiles when you heat it, as long as you stay lower than a certain temperature.

Also says it's still manufactured, but they are trying to steer people toward "greener" products called Exxsol.

http://www.exxonmobilchemical.com/C...uids-products-varsol.aspx?ln=productsservices

My guess: If you are not going through big quantities of the stuff or aren't heating it, plain old kerosene or mineral spirits may be almost as good as Varsol.

4. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

There are/were several grades of Varsol. The one you used to see in paint stores is similar to mineral spirits.

A diesel mechanic told me the shop he worked in uses E85 to clean parts. I used some in a bucket to clean a gummed up diesel injector pump that stoddard solvent wouldn't touch. The E85 worked great. Stunk like Hell, but worked great.

5. I used to use Varsol when you could still get it. Now I use mineral spirits and I mix in a gallon of Gunk degreaser. Seems to work pretty well for me.

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

No love for the water based "greenie" cleaners here either. I have some of that crap in my parts washer right now, when I change it out, I will be going back to varsol.

7. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I was just about to recommend the "purple stuff" until I read this. I've been using mineral spirits all along but don't like the smell. Oh well, learned something today.

Pat

8. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

You might want to be careful with E85, it might be volatile (explosive) like gasoline. Kerosene will burn, but 1 cup of gas is like dynamite.

Ago

9. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

That's right. I used about a gallon and a half in a bucket outside. I wouldn't risk it in the solvent tank.

10. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I am bringing back this thread with a question regarding mineral spirits.

I have been using it for year in our parts cleaner. About a year ago it starter to stink so I figured clean it out and fill with new mineral spirits. This stuff did not take long to go the same way. For me it just stinks. For the other guy working here he reacted to the stuff with sinus congestion and eyes swelling. What is going on with the stuff? Is mineral spirits today not the same as back a few years.

Just wondering if anyone else has ran into this. I plan to clean it out again and put in new mineral spirits and see how long it will last. I already have the mineral spirits on hand.

Neal

11. fsae0607

fsae0607

Stinks like what? You aren't using the "odorless" mineral spirits that is white-colored and water based are you? Mineral spirits in a parts washer only gets dirty but smells the same.

12. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I don't know what it smells like but it gets annoying after a while. Stinky solvent smell, not like old gas but just as annoying.

The only mineral spirits that I can find say that it is odorless. What does that mean?

I don't think that it is water based. It is clear. I buy it at Menards in the paint thinner section.

Neal

13. Paraffin (kerosene) with some dish soap in it works very well.

Kerosene is not flammable in the same way as petrol. When I trained as a firefighter we all sat around a large tray of kerosene and the instructor threw a lighted match into it - we all dived for cover but the match fizzled out. He asked us to try lighting it with a match - we couldn't...

14. Interesting thread. I tossed my parts washer after 20 years of good use and bought a new one on sale. So, Mineral Spirits is about the lesser expensive solvents, and my choice for that 20 years. BUT, the shit's OVER $15 a gallon now and I need 10 gallons. Close to $175 after tax! So, after talking to a few people I decided on every day diesel fuel. UNDER $50 for that 10 gallons and won't light with a match. I read most of the responses and was surprised how few included the cost of their selections.

Attached Files:

15. fsae0607

fsae0607

Just noticed you're not in california. Here they sell "odorless" mineral spirits that's CARB (Calif. Air Resources Board) compliant and it's water-based and looks like milk. Hmmm maybe your solvent just got mixed with grime and crap and reacted in a bad way. Maybe best to replace it.

Based on the last post I may use diesel next. Mineral spirits are too damn expensive, especially considering that I want to upgrade to a 20-gal parts washer one day.

16. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Regular parts solvent is cheaper than that Keosene. I use solvent in my parts washer. If I remember right the last time I changed solvent it was less than 3 dollars a gallon. Even if it was more expensive I would use it, cleans much better than kerosene

17. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

I still have solvent in my homemade parts washer, but it's over 10 yrs old. Can't remember what it cost then, but I'm sure it's much more now. I work with diesel a lot too (I farm) but I wouldn't want that stinking stuff in my parts washer.

18. Topstrap

Topstrap
    from East Ohio

Watched a demonstration of Schaeffer products at a local cruise in and their stuff is pretty amazing. Their Citrol product was pretty amazing and is available bulk for a parts washer. Might try it when I change my parts cleaner fluid and get rid of the solvent.

http://www.schaefferoil.com/citrol-degreaser-cleaner.html

Topstrap

19. I don't recommend the ZEP Purple concentrate (from HD). It cleans pretty good, but not as good as mineral spirits. The ZEP ate the pump within a month, and took all the paint off the inside of the tank too. When it gets on your skin it leaves a strange feeling like it trying to slowly disolve it. Not pleasant.

I'd love something water based, but I'm afraid of it freezing in a unheated garage over the winter.

Steve

20. I've used diesel with good results as well.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. Cyclone

Cyclone
    from Sonoma, CA

I use their cleaner as well, works good.

22. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

$147 for four gallons, uh, nope. :eek:

23. Your sig, sent from pay phone. LMAO

24. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I lucked out and got a Saf-T-Kleen parts washer at an estate sale for $10.00.
    I went to the originator and got 10 gallons of their solvent.
    BUCKOS!! They did deliver it though.
    Mostly I use diesel in a coffie can because I'm too cheap to wreck that solvent.
    Get the top soil off then use the tank.

25. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

We have a simple green tank at work and its junk after a year.
    Its all rusty and nasty. We are green though.
    I'll take the smells of diesel, solvent, cat box oversimple green anyday.

26. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Some people don't even know what those are, I do believe payphones are period correct however.

27. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I just don't understand using kerosene or diesel fuel, both are king of oily, which defeats the purpose of cleaning parts. Why use something that is oily, plus the cost of either diesel fuel and kerosene is high anyway

28. butch27

butch27

There is some stuff called "drive-up" Works great for cleaning tanks and driveways.

29. 22george

22george
    from ohio

Kerosene is to get the crud off. If l need to degrease it l will use a degreaser after.

30. 22george

22george
    from ohio

The diesel fuel is to get the crud off. If l need to l use a degreaser after that.