Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Anybody know who rebuilds old instrument clusters?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wildpony61, Mar 31, 2013.

1. wildpony61

wildpony61
    from Las Cruces

I have a 1955 Mercury Monterey 2-door hardtop that I am building up, wanted to see about rebuilding the original gauge cluster, it is in excellent shape...anybody out there rebuild these? Please let me know, can't seem to find anyone on the net.

2. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

3. Speed~On

Speed~On

HAMBer e1956v owns Speedometer Services in Colorado Springs, CO. He rebuilt my stock 1935 speedometer and made a custom speedometer cable. His customer service is outstanding and he'll get the job completed in a timely manner. I highly recommend him.

4. Normbc9

Normbc9

I have used : Skip Geear 161 Rockingham Circle, Eagle Point, OR. 97524. Great work and accurate plus excellent knowledge too. 541-826-2177.
    Normbc9

5. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

I recently used Williamsons instruments for a 50 merc dash, came out great and the price couldn't be beat..

6. Fogger

Fogger

Mo-Ma in Albuquerque 505-766-6661, been using them for over 30 years. Expensive but you get the job done the right way.

7. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

John Wolf and Co. Willoughby Ohio

8. Another vote for Williamsons in Chester ,,Ark They did one for me a couple of years ago

9. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

i re did mine, but I changed it up a little, i didnt exactly redo it to stock. plus i got a friend who is a painter and he used automotive paint. i have a few pictures on my post. (not the best pictures) before and after

10. yblock292

yblock292

Yes they have done 3 sets for me, great job and very resonable prices.They will be doing my 39.

11. DoubleJ52

DoubleJ52
    from Belton, MO

I used Bob's Speedometer in Michigan, great work reasonably priced.

12. scrubba

scrubba

Bob Reams Auto Electric in Arlington Texas .............

scrubba

13. billsat

billsat

I also used Bob's Speedometer in Howell, Michigan. Expensive but beautiful work. They even fabricated a new fuel gauge for my original cluster and it was perfect.

14. crazy_tonguezz

crazy_tonguezz
    from glendale

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

15. L. Eckart

L. Eckart

Another one to consider and I have used:

Metro Speedometer
    1028 E 23rd St South (just east of Kansas City)
    Independence, MO
    816-478-0116

16. rfraze

rfraze

Williamsons did a Diamond T set for us when I built Bob Sichting's 201. Very nice work and reasonable.

17. This is a good thread..I've been wondering the same question

18. Normbc9

Normbc9

I use: Skip Geear, 161 Rockingham Circle; Eagle Point, OR. 97524; 541-826-2177.. Great results and good individual gauge accuracy. He stands by his work too.
    Normbc9

19. charlieb66

charlieb66

Anyone care to share what you paid and the car model of the gauges that were reworked?

20. rfraze

rfraze

Williamson's did these for a Diamond T 201. Check williamsons.com

Here are some pics before disassembly showing dark faces. Second pic may show speedo better. Bob wanted to change face color, which they did beautifully, maintaining stock pattern and style. I'm not sure why domed lenses aren't showing up in after pics. Final pic shows that they can make temp probe cable any length you specify, which can really clean up that problem.

I am still looking for the gauge restoration bill, but am beginning to think it was paid by customer. I will keep looking.

Just had a tach fixed and temp gauge matched to sender and had a less than wonderful experience. I found it difficult to communicate with them by phone.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  21. MORRISGAUGE

MORRISGAUGE

Not to toot our own horn, but we're one of those shops. Feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

22. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

good thread I was looking for a place to redo some gages

23. yblock292

yblock292

X3 have done 3 sets for me, great people, plus life time guarantee on their work.

24. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I'm not happy with Classic Instruments. The issue was when I had my '46 Ford instrument panel wired for 12 volts. I even provided written instructions that because I was using a Ron Francis wiring kit that I wanted volts, not amps ,on the panel. Guess what it came lettered, AMPS. When I called them I was told "send back the cluster and we will re-wire it, but we can't re-do the panel". I was told they would make an adjustment. A few days later they sent me a cap and a key chain. Another issue I have with them is my oil pressure gauge bounces all over the place. I have changed the sending unit three times with no success and have done everything they asked me to do and no change. They finally said "we probably screwed up somehow, pull the panel and send it back". I guess they don't know how hard it is to remove a gauge cluster from a running car. I installed a mechanical gauge and it works fine.

25. powerplay

powerplay
    from nj

Hi,
    I'm also looking to have my gauges restored.

I spoke to Ron at Williamson's last year, and was planning to finally have them done. I tried calling Williamson's this morning............automated message said "the number has been disconnected".

Anyone know if they are still in business?

Thanks.

26. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

I did mine on my 56 vicky and used Omega gauges.Couldnt see using oem idiot lights.

27. hans mercman

hans mercman
    from Texas

good infogoing to do this as soon as i muster up the $$$, watching

28. hans mercman

hans mercman
    from Texas

and i know this is digging up old thread, but as @charlieb66 said, "Anyone care to share what you paid and the car model of the gauges that were reworked?". Also, what shop you paid said cost at?

29. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Great informative thread. Thanks, all.