Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 Ford Ranchwagon.. Woodie

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chaz, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Sounds like we both have the same car!

2. I have a '52 Ranchwagon in the shop with a "partial" tunnel I can take pictures of if that helps.

3. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Anything would help! greatly appreciated!

4. "Anything would help! greatly appreciated!"

I put some pics on my "Old photos and projects" album in my profile.
    Let me know if you need more.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

5. Does this help Chuck? HRP

[​IMG]

6. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Thanks to both of you. We'll get goin on it Sunday!

7. Wow! I just saw this. Looks great, nice work.

8. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Hump Day! Yeah, today we started to tackle the transmission hump. The first thing we did was to form two 18 ga angles to stiffen the floor and make a mounting point for the hump. Here you can see them on either side of the gaping opening in the floor.

[​IMG]

Then we cut a pattern for the hump and reproduced it in 18 ga. sheetmetal also.
    Here's Steve fitting the new hump between the angles after they were welded to the floor. The hump is a bit larger than the original to accommodate the new engine and tranny combo.

[​IMG]

Finally the hump is welded into place. We are pretty pleased with the progress so far, although there's still a LONG way to go.

[​IMG]

9. Well,looks like you guys have the front floor almost rapped up and it looks great,,the transmission hump looks nice. HRP

10. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

We still needed to do the top of the tranny hump. The floor was cut with a torch, and the opening in the firewall was rough to say the least. Some filling of areas would be required before the hump tin could be attached.

[​IMG]

Here you can see the small patch to the left of the hump. We had to replace one on the right as well.

[​IMG]

Here's a close up of the hump. You can see the fit to the floor is pretty good. I tack welded it every couple inches, and then seam welded it in place.

[​IMG]
    We had time to do one of the panels under the front seat today too. There are no ridges rolled into it because it is under the seat where people will not be stepping on it. The floor is really starting to take shape now. It'll be nice when we get this done and can move onto some fun stuff!

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. The Hump looks good,as always you guys are making steady progress and the work is second to none. HRP

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  12. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

That's a flashback! At least for me. That's what it looked like the first time I saw it. Couldn't get over all the hand made patches. But that's what it takes. Like Danny said," Red Headed Stepchild". I was in awe when I first saw this wagon and this one's no different. Awesome job ya'll! Go man go!!!

13. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Another day of replacing floor. We made it as far as the rear footwells. Its pretty repetitive work, but it has to be done. Here's todays Photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. You guys are getting close to having the passenger floor boards finished,,another Sunday and you should have them wrapped up,,,then what? HRP

15. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

Then we finish welding the patch panels Chuck started on the drivers side of the body several yrs ago and do all the rust repair on the passenger side.

16. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, Right now this build diary is kinda boring for us. Patch panel, patch panel, and yet another patch panel... Once we get everything "patched" we'll start the chop and other custom touches. Then this thread will get interesting.
    But the new folks need to know that a lot of this old car stuff is just plain old PERSEVERENCE! It'd be easy to just give up, but we are WAY too hard headed to do something like that!

17. You guys are also serving as a teaching tool for the people that have never done this type of repair,,boring,humdrum work for those that have done it so many times but interesting to everyone that knows what goes into it.

You guys are doing nice work but I am looking forward to the chop and woodwork. HRP

18. daddio211

daddio211

Here here! Thanks for the education fellas!

'27 T Roadster build: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=734383

19. No progress report today? :confused: HRP

20. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Actually we did work last week AND this week. Last week was so crazy busy I just didn't get time to post....
    The entire floor has been completed. Its not "perfect", but you gotta remember that carpet goes over all of this.

[​IMG]

Surprisingly the area from the rear seat back to about the tailgate was in fine shape.. Then we opened the rear hatch... NOTHING BUT RUST!

[​IMG]

Some of this is going to be really hard to re-create. I don't think anyone makes a rear patch panel for 53 ford wagons. If anybody knows of a source... let me know.

Here's a closeup of the latch area. It is just gone..

[​IMG]

If I cant find a panel we'll go to work on this next week.

21. Floors look great,,they may not be perfect,mine sure ain't,but your building a hot rod and like you said they will have carpet.

And yeah,that rear inside lower panel looks like what our wagon looked like and I don't know of anyone making that section.

We spend some time with the sheet metal brake and the old Shrinker Stretcher to create the one in our wagon. HRP

22. Chuck,this is how mine turned out,,I did go back and put a couple of drain holes,,I didn't have a louver die. HRP

[​IMG]

23. Definitely not bored. It might be boring to you but you're inspiring the hell out of me. Great work, gents!

24. Rancho55

Rancho55

Wow, lots of work here huh! Im feeling for ya, had to similar to my Ranchwagon too. Many many spots welds! Looking forward to the chop! 1 3/4 to utilise the Crown Vic screen of the same year? Iv'e toyed with the idea before. Keep up the good work.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Well, It's time to tackle the rear hatch rust. This is a goddam mess. We really didn't even know where to start, but removing everything that was deteriorated seemed like a good start. Each layer we removed revealed another layer of rusty metal . We took a pneumatic chisel and tore it all out!

[​IMG]

Here's a look at all the inner and outer panels removed.

[​IMG].

Then I pushed the wagon outside and sandblasted the little structure that was left.
    There was a slender toprail and the rear floor. everything else is gone.

[​IMG].

WE made a cardboard pattern to fit, transferred it to 18 ga. sheetmetal and bent and drilled a new piece.

[​IMG].

We plug welded it into place, and it looked GREAT! a perfect fit! Even a blind pig gets an acorn now and again. Here's a picture of the old and the new.

[​IMG].
    There's still two more panels to replace here, and they'll be even harder, but we're up for it now.

26. ...I'm in awe of all the fab work in this thread!...Man....I love your dedication to the project...
    A friend of mine has this sorry 54' sitting in his yard...( I think the grille is gone now)...It can be had for a few hunnert...

Attached Files:

27. Chuck,It seems like I have seen the same thing but I like the way you guys approached it,,cut it all out and start over. HRP

28. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

H.R.P. On that picture of yours it looks like the top of that finished panel is flat when the original has a kind of dip in it, We figured it was to clear the door? Did you eliminate the dipped part or is the picture deceptive?

29. To a certain extent the photo is deceptive.

My panel was extremely rusty and we had to use our imagination and poster board to replicate it ,I am pretty sure it doesn't look like the original but there is a slight dip and yes that was done to clear the tail gate. HRP