Register now to get rid of these ads!

We Love Sedan Deliveries

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bill McGuire, Sep 12, 2013.

1. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Here's a chopped '61 Ford sedan delivery that I'd love to build. Its a Photoshopped car; the original car is a 4 door wagon that belongs to LOWFOMOCO.
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]

2. Looks bitchen but would need a pair of crossed checkered flags on the panel and teardrop hood scoop. Lol

3. slammed

slammed

4. Would love to see one of these in the flesh.

5. This is the only image I've been able to find, and it's scattered all over the place.
    [​IMG]

Makes you wonder if only one was made (doubtful that they would have made one and stuck pharmacy lettering on it) or if they were all sacrificed for the war or if they all ended up as small metal rectangles at the crusher. More research...

(Hey, wait a minute...just realized this image is from your site! What do you know about it?)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  6. Not very much. There are lots of factory photos of Studebaker Sedan Deliveries, but you seldom see them today.

7. Mar-Main Pharmacy is still going strong in South Bend. It probably was in 1941, but since I was just a gleam in my old man's eye at the time I can't be sure. Being they were in South Bend, they just might have gotten a good deal on a Studebaker.

8. 354HEMI

354HEMI
    from MARYLAND

heres mine,a 1928 dodge victory 6 model started as an 4 door sedan.
    see my avatar

9. Oops...posted in wrong thread...sigh

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  10. slammed

slammed

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
    droppedstepside likes this.
  11. Part of the appeal in old factory photos is the use of historic settings. Thanks for the background.

12. I haven't been able to pull it up but there is a thread on here that talks about NHRA Junior Super Stockers. There are some old pics on the thread of Sedan Deliveries racing. Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but the NHRA looked at Sedan Deliveries as trucks. The racers found a loophole that let them put a pickup, Olds I think, full race 4-speed hydramatic transmissions in 57 Chevy Sedan deliveries with dual quads since it was available in pickups. Made them almost unbeatable at the time. Sounds a little confusing but it worked. Anyone have more info or pictures?

13. slammed

slammed

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Owned a 50 Chevy S.D. back in 1970. Sold it to my brother-in-law in 72. My all time favorite is the 57 Ford Courier. My Uncle had one in the 60's and I learned to drive in it. Love that sucker. Hated when he sold it.

15. I think this may be the thread you are talking about. All 500+ pages of it. The link is to the first page.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201085

16. rick finch

rick finch

17. rick finch

rick finch

18. rick finch

rick finch

19. Do you know whe he sold the 38 delivery and was it sold in Austin around 1998?

20. agshelby

agshelby

It was sold in Odessa, Texas in '73 or '74.

21. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

Here's my little delivery.:) [​IMG]

Attached Files:

22. Two things going on here. First, as you say, NHRA allowed the four-speed Hydramatic in the '55-'57 Sedan Delivery, purportedly because (?) it was used in half-ton trucks. I don't know this and I invite any of the real experts to school me, but I don't believe the Hydramatic was ever offered as standard factory equipment in the '55-'57 Delivery. Exactly how racers sold NHRA on this angle is unknown to me. Again, I invite experts to weigh in on this point as well.

Next, another loophole in the NHRA rules at the time allowed any engine in any body style as long as it was of the same general family. So there were power-pack, dual-quad, and Rochester FI engines in Sedan Deliveries in NHRA Stock classes though none ever came off any assembly line, least of all with a Hydramatic transmission. There were also Paxton-blown '57 Ford wagons, Pontiac fuelie four-doors and other oddities created by these rules.

23. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

Here is my 40. Pics are from late last winter, early spring. It now has the supercharger, and body is currently in the paint process. I hope to have completed by March 2014.

Attached Files:

Model T1 likes this.
  25. Back on topic, here are a few Sedan Deliveries I used to own. First one is a 47 Ford that went out to Utah. Guy claimed he was going to put the whole thing in molasses to get rid of the rust. Never heard if he did. Second is a 50 Chevy, Camaro suspension and Vista Cruiser top. Was not sad to see that one go. Last one is a 59 Ford Courier. I can't remember how it was titled. It had a 2 piece tailgate and windows like a 2 door wagon but it had just one solid bench seat. It was an old military vehicle that came from Oregon or Washington, I think. Went to scarliner in MO.

Attached Files:

droppedstepside and Model T1 like this.
  26. RARE57

RARE57

GREAT photos ! LOVE the "57's" and PUMA !!:p:D.....THANKS !!

27. slammed

slammed

28. loudbang

loudbang

Man this thread just keeps getting better and better.

29. RARE57

RARE57

Good Morning "slammed"....where do you find all of these fantastic photos !? WOW !! Keep it up..... "LOVE" this thread ! Thanks!!