Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 mercury Drop spindels & disc brake kits

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by merkman54, Oct 11, 2013.

1. merkman54

merkman54

I have a 1954 merc that I would like to get lower in the front, I know there are a few different options for drop spindels and disc brake kits. I was looking at the kit from "drop em and stop em", does any one have any feed back.

2. Lowdownfab

Lowdownfab

I'd like some feedback on that kit as well, my '54 ford needs it bad :)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. merkman54

merkman54

Have you ever heard of flipping the stock spindles, i was looking at it and there would be some issues but it almost looks doable.

4. Bcometfx

Bcometfx
    from NC Indiana

They are very easy and cheap to drop in the front end without going to drop spindles. I never checked into prices on disc brakes because my drums work really well. If you are not worried about discs go with ford Aerostar coils. Or you can lower the spring bucket on the lower control arm.

5. Lowdownfab

Lowdownfab

I'm wanting to go the route of spindles for the possibility of future air ride, and def wanting disc conversion....my drums are sketch, at best.

6. merkman54

merkman54

I have the Aerostar coils in there now, looking to get a little lower. I tried the spring bucket job not a huge fan. I dont really care about the disc brakes i think my car stops fine too, and i would like to stay away from air bags.

7. Lowdownfab

Lowdownfab

How much do the Aerostar coils drop it??

8. merkman54

merkman54

not enough, 2.5 inches maybe i had cut coils in there before so i cant say for sure how much from stock height.

9. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Aerostar coils will drop about 2"-2 1/2" at first after driving awhile they will usually settle another 1/2", mercman54 and Lowdownfab click on this link:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=332 over 1200 members with tons of info to share on cars like yours,Do an intro when you get there.

10. horse

horse

I used Jamco's disc brake set up (1.5"), stepped the lower ball joint (2"), modified the upper arm with Chrysler screw in ball joints to keep them from binding when the bags are deflated out and you could drive it with its nuts draggin

11. Mark T

Mark T

A modified set of Ford Granada disc brakes and spindles will lower your car about 2 1/2"

Along with the Aerostar springs will get you pretty low.

The Granada setup is basically what "drop em and stop em" are selling.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  12. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

i used the kit from droppem on my 54 ford. worked great, fit great. its been on the car bout 8 years and no issues...............john

13. Lowdownfab

Lowdownfab

When you say "modified" Granada spindles, are we just talking retapering for balljoints? Or more involved than that?
    I'm just debating whether to buy a set or spindles and make it work or to just buy a bolt on kit. I don't mind putting in the work to save some $$.

14. Mark T

Mark T

Yes, you only need to ream the ball joint hole a little bit to make a stock Granada spindle a lowered spindle, its a very simple procedure.

I had mine done by a local machine shop for $40.

I can elaborate more if you decide to go this route.

Kustom Cline likes this.
  15. Lowdownfab

Lowdownfab

Awesome. I will def contact you for more info once it comes time to do mine. I just gotta find a pair of Granada spindles now.....

16. Mark T

Mark T

Mercury Monarchs are the same as the Granadas.

Don't buy the Lincoln Versailles, you can't make dropped spindles out of them.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013