Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Auto racing 1894-1942

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurtis, Jul 18, 2009.

1. gearguy

gearguy

We're in the early planning stages of planning a "junk formula" Indy car replica. A very original 1935 Ford chassis has been located and discussion now turns to a powerplant. A 1953 Ford flathead V-8 with transmission is available but I'd prefer something less generic, such as a GMC I-6.

Anyone here have info/photos/articles on late junk formula cars or suggestions on one worthy of replication?

Our goal is to create a useable and fairly accurate car on a workingman's budget. The intent is to use construction techniques that are period correct also. The team members are bickering a bit over how "period correct" we need to get.
    For example, the donor chassis was converted to 1940 Ford hydraulic brakes. I'm fine with that and wouldn't mind fitting the car with a hidden power brake booster. My teammate thinks we sould go back to mechanical brakes.
    On the powerplant the 1953 flathead is a 24 stud model not the 21 stud of the pre-war years. In my mind that falls in the same catagory as the hydraulic brakes and I'd have no problem using it If I didn't prefer the GMC.

I've already "lost" the argument to use a late model AMC I-6 and pass it off as a Nash or to disguise a Chevy Trailblazer DOHC 6 as the Leinki 6 so don't worry about hurting my feelings.

Of particular interest is chassis/body construction methods. I'm thinking of fabricated cross members rivited to the Ford frame rails like the factory did with a lightweight sheet steel body. When did welded tubing become standard for frames and aluminum for bodies?

2. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Maybe check out my 30's era build up for some ideas. I'm using a 300 ford disguised as a Dusenberg.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Gary Ash, from Dartmouth, MA. a friend of an acquaintance set out to build a 30s era Studebaker Championship replica car.
    I'll have to do some checking to see what became of his project.
    Here's a link to his site which may provide some support to your planning.
    http://www.studegarage.com/studegarage_home.htm

From what I've read part of the mystique or hype associated to the new AAA Rules for 1930 was the idea that the common person could have a chance of builing a competitive racer and so there were number of how to articles written to this end.

One article written by Ray Kuns in 1935 entitled "Building a Speedway Car" is mentioned in Gary's sight under the heading 'How to build and Indy Car'

Best Regards
    Carl Schulz
    Indio, CA

4. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

1931 Mille Miglia Giuseppe Campari and Attilio Marinoni ,Alfa Romeo 6C 1750

Attached Files:

5. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

In Part II of the series of Model T Ford Speed and Racing Equipment on The Old Motor we cover; the first of the two versions of 16-valve Roof cylinder heads (above), the early Rajo 4 and 8-valve heads and the Green Engineering flathead.

Below can be seen Robert Roof in his first racing car and the Rajo Model 30 8-valve. Many more photos and information and a link to Part I can be found on The Old Motor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

This would get my vote.

Attached Files:

7. gearguy

gearguy

The Mallory Special is EXACTLY what we have in mind. It looks like only a few stock blocks made the show but plenty of them tried.

A visit to the Speedway photo office is planned and I'll see what I can learn about the Mallory Special.

I've been following the build thread for the 300" Ford I-6 powered car. Nice work.

8. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

It was a pretty hot car in its day, driven by some of the best. Oddly enough I haven't been able to find much more detail about it, other than it was built by Myron Stevens. Pre war stuff isn't really my bailiwick but I'm sure others will know more.

Attached Files:

9. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I drove Brooks Steven's Studebaker several times on Elkart Lake. The first laps were in the rain ....... turn workers ran and hid behind the armco..... you had to toss it sideways as it really didn't have brakes.

10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Doing some more looking, the Mallory Spl. may have become the BSF #45 that Clay Weatherly was killed in 1935.

Attached Files:

11. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Seems the ex-Duray/Mallory(?)/ BSF #45 killed 2 drivers in 1935. Johnny Hannon was killed in practice (previous pic) then 9 days later Weatherly was killed during the race. Looks pretty twisted up, might have been the end of the line.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Rootie, the ex-Duray/Mallory car is in South Korea in the Samsung Automotive Collection. Bob

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

OAKLAND == Has anyone seen a photo or have any info on Oakland 6 powered race cars from around 1916-1920, dirt track or hill clinb? Thanks. Bob

14. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Thanks, shows what I know, never even heard of the Samsung auto collection :eek:

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

I spotted it in a photo on the internet, before that it was in the Blackhawk Collection in California. Bob :)

16. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

To: Vintage Racing Group
    Subj: Some photos from Oct 5th Jungle Park Reunion

Well rain and the threat of it put a damper on this year's reunion however a few brave soles ventured out and saved the day and the downpour fell everywhere but on the Park.

Here's a link to my Album with a few photos and commentary by Randall Cook. Mac Miller was in the car and there's shots of him at various locations where remnants of the track and buildings remain.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/91981316@N06/sets/72157635992479815/

Hope you enjoy the photos.

Carl Schulz
    Here again in Indio where I'm preparing to tow to Auto Club Speedway Thursday for our year's finale with the Historic Champ/Indycar Event in conjunction with The Izod Indycar Series MAV-TV Event.
    Wouldn't be suprised if I'm not taking a bit of the Midwest clay from Terre Haute, Kokomo, Lawrenceburg, Eldora and Jungle Park with me to be disbursed on the Pacific Coast.
    Photos and text by Randall Cook-
    [​IMG]
    "Carl:

Tom and I took the Boyle Valve car to the Jungle Park Reunion on October 5th. Jungle Park was a legendary 1/2 high banked oiled dirt track that ran from the 1920s until around 1960. Today the track property is used in a canoe rental business as the old track bordered on both Sugar Creek and the Turkey Run State Park. The track itself is located a few miles north of Rockville, Indiana on US highway 41.

There have been times in the past when the reunion had over 50 vintage race cars show up with many of them being cars that actually would have raced at Jungle Park. This wasn't one of those times as only seven cars came this year. Even so, it was stll fun to talk with people and go around and check out the one old grandstand that is still standing. At one time I believe there were up to five staggered stands on the "front straight" of what was really a pretty circular track.

Of those cars that were there the most interesting was a pre-WWII motorcycle engined midget built by Henry Meyer. The car has never been restored and is pretty much like it was when it was last raced around 1950. Some guy bought it in a farm sale in Illinois and hopes to bring it back to its original glory when it was racing on the winter indoor midget circuit on tracks in Long Island as well in the Chicago Ampitheater. I've attached a copy of a photo that was on display of driver Ben Emerick in the car in 1947.

Several cars took laps on what's left of the old banking around the track including the Boyle car. One vintage SCCA car actually got on it pretty good a couple of times. In at least one of the photos you can see the US 41 guardrail in the background. In addition to the cars that found themselves going into Sugar Creek over the years there was at least one incident of a car going up the banking and ended up in the middle of the highway.

Jungle Park was always something of an "outlaw" track with the majority of its big car races being put on by the CSRA (Central States Racing Association). There only a handful of AAA races ever held there although Duke Nalon did manage to win one of those just before WWII broke out.

While the turnout was low the current owner of the property expressed interest in having the event again next year and promised to try some things to better advertise the reunion as well. He had several family members helping out with concessions at the reunion including one of his daughters who appears in one of the photos posing with your car.

At any rate everyone that did show up seemed to have a good time. It's too bad that you didn't leave California a couple of days earlier so that you could have made the trip as well. And it would have basically been on your way home anyway.
    RJC"

17. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Found it, seems it did indeed survive the 1935 mayhem.

Attached Files:

18. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

I WANT ONE....

3D Printing a MILLER FWD.

19. noboD

noboD

Curtis, I saw that a few days ago, didn't know how to copy it here. Thanks, hope everyone takes the time to watch it all. That is amazing!

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks Kurtis, That is one amazing project! It should be known that the MILLER itis based on was built by the late Chuck Davis and a team of old school craftsmen using the original MILLER blueprints and some original parts. Bob :)

21. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Renault 40 CV

Attached Files:

22. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Hmmm, funny that. For the past month or so I have been collecting information on this particular car and the Nervasport. Just last night I was reading an article from a Czech magazine.

23. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Well Kurtis,lets have the story!

24. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Wishful thinking...

Attached Files:

25. saacha

saacha
    from cloud 9

Nice post Card there from Mar del Plata, very close to Balcarce where Fangio was born, intersting date. yes off topic sorry.

26. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Saacha,I forget what I post.See post # 9069.You didn't object that day! Interesting,I had the same thought then as I did with my most recent post.

BanjeauX Bob

27. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Notice the piston rings are cut on an angle and over lapped on the end gaps.

Ago

28. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Long before Jack, Colin, et-al found their way to Indy with their "funny cars", there was the 1937 Lee Oldfield Spl.

Attached Files:

• re-2.JPG
      re-2.JPG
      File size:
      202.3 KB
      Views:
    • re-1.JPG
      re-1.JPG
      File size:
      124.1 KB
      Views:
  29. Vitesse

Vitesse
    from Bath, UK

Does anyone happen to know what became of this beastie? Oldfield corresponded with The Motor (UK) after they said rude things about it and Motor Sport seemed to think it might have made an interesting Brooklands Outer Circuit machine, but I assume it was just broken up?

30. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Last edited: Oct 21, 2013