Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Adjustable wishbone?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 53OlderThanMe, Oct 13, 2013.

1. So I'm gathering parts for my 31 AV8 Roadster build. It seems the Hot Rod Bible by Bishop/Tardel has a misprint in my copy and I want 32 wishbones not 33/34 wishbones. I do not want to split my wishbones and it looks like the 32 wishbone legs are 2.25 inches longer than the 33/34.

Since split wishbones have bungs welded into the end for mount to the frame...

Could I just cut the wishbone close to the ball and weld in something threaded to make the leg ends adjustable similar to a tie rod? This would maintain the proper caster I believe. Or would that leave too weak a link?

Not sure how much pressure is put on the wishbone but I would think you could use a good size threaded rod.

2. fxstc127ci

fxstc127ci

Yes it is a misprint. Caster is determined by the front spring cross member so adjustable bones won't help you there. I'm build a coupe and didn't want to spilt the wish bones. I'm using a 36 axle and bones. The 36 allow you to run steering under arms with out mods they do need to be lengthen though. I cut the ball end off where the 36 comes to a point can't use because it doesn't clear the oil pan. I use the stock a ball similar to the 32-34 end and made bushings to connect a ball end to 36 bones. I will post Picts for you tomorrow.

3. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Spice on the (yoke) end from a dimeadozen model A wishbone … do a stepped cut / joint

I think push and pull force and some keep axle from rolling force under braking

4. alchemy

alchemy

Wrong. The spring can be twisted a bit, so the wishbone or hairpin is what determines your caster angle.

5. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

6. telecustom

telecustom
    from Langey, BC

Being able to adjust an un-split wishbone set up would be neat. But I would also want to be able to adjust drag link length.

7. ydopen

ydopen

I have a Tardel K member that uses a Model A socket for the wishbone. I have a 34 wishbone . I plan to weld or bolt a plate onto the K member to extend the socket an inch or two.

8. The height of the frame end of the bones controls caster.
    The attitude of the axle end of the bones manipulated via pie cuts controls caster.

Length does not control caster unless the height is also changed but it is the height change

Cross member does not control caster, however it's a good idea to get the crossmember to match your planned caster.

9. Hmm, I had planned on a Tardel K member also. That's a good consideration, had not considered that. May be a lot less work involved. Just really wasn't sure how much stress is actually placed on the socket end of the wishbone.

10. ydopen

ydopen

To put a V8 transmission in a banger Model A a bracket has to be made for the wishbone to hook to transmission. I do not know the forces involved,but this bracket is not real thick steel. It is hard to see,but here is a pic of bracket.

https://www.clingsaftermarket.com/addtocart.asp?prod=48

11. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

Mike Bishop (AV8) posted a thread on how to use the 34 wishbone by lengthening it with the back piece from a Model A wishbone at the Y. I don't know if the thread is still archived intact with all the pictures but it was a few years back. The model A bone has bit of an upward curve to the ball end that is a big help when getting camber set. A person can also set the camber before welding the modified 34/model A bone back up. This set up is more usable than the 32 bone which would likely need some camber setting to get it to work anyway. If you have a heavy 32 axle then it's a good idea to look for a 32 bone if you can find one that doesn't break the bank.

12. fxstc127ci

fxstc127ci

36 bones, bushings and a ball end. Using a tardel k member.

Attached Files:

13. I'm thinking this one http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58724&page=2

Thanks for the photo

14. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The ball at the end of Ford front radius rods (wishbones) is the same size from 28-40 and uses the same rubber ball bushing from 32-40 cars and 32-41 in pickups. The 28-31 mount in steel from the factory and use the rubber ball in the aftermarket setup commonly available.
    The ball size changes in 1941 in passenger cars and is used through 48.