Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need help to id a carter WCD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.C. Andersson, Oct 10, 2013.

1. J.C. Andersson

J.C. Andersson

Hi everybody!
    First post, hope my question isn't stupid:)
    I have a '47 Pontiac Streamliner that I decided to put a straight eight in instead of restore the old straight six. Everything went well except for a leaking waterpump and the need of service of the carburetor.
    The thing is, I'm not sure what carb I got on the engine (a '53 268 cu.in. with high comp head), the tag is missing and I am not able to id the carb by the number stamped on the foot. The stamped number is 7002380. I was expecting to find digits like 2010S or 719/720. I have been searching several sources without being wiser, I found the number but no references to which car or what carburetor it should be. I guess I will have to know the exact model to order the right kit for restoring it.

Thanks in advance,
    J.C.

2. BabbitBeater

BabbitBeater
    from Colorado

I believe the 7002380 number is one of the patent numbers. That number is on the side of my carb on my 53 Catalina Coupe with the 268 cui I8. My tag says 720 SA. This could be what you have.

3. J.C. Andersson

J.C. Andersson

Thanks BabbitBeater.
    That's what I'm hoping too. As I miss the tag it's a bit difficult to tell. The carb looks right, though. I will enclose some pictures later for compairing.

4. carbking

carbking

J.C. - Carter knew that the commercial rebuilders were going to throw away the tags, so Carter stamped "code" numbers on the UNDERSIDE of the cast iron throttle body. If you get the code number and the number on one of the metering rods, that should be sufficient for a competent vendor to identify the correct rebuilding kit.

Jon.

5. J.C. Andersson

J.C. Andersson

Carbking, I did look under the throttle body without seeing any trace of numbers. Maybe someone have machined the surface and then lost them? I will however look on the metering rods to see what I can find. I believe that the carb is a stock standard, but I'm a curious s.o.b...:p

J.C.

6. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

7002380 is a Rochester number. Carter & Rochester both marked their products well, so a good cleaning will tell you what you have.

7. BabbitBeater

BabbitBeater
    from Colorado

Here are some pictures of mine, if it helps.

Attached Files:

8. J.C. Andersson

J.C. Andersson

Looks pretty much like mine. I took out the plugs today, it seem to be running too lean, kinda light-coloured. I will take the carb apart gently, clean it and find out jet size and overall condition, and also look for any number that can identify it better. By the way, what does the model number mean? (720, 2122 etc.)

J.C.

Attached Files:

9. J.C. Andersson

J.C. Andersson

10. carbking

carbking

11. BabbitBeater

BabbitBeater
    from Colorado

Thanks for the info!

12. J.C. Andersson

J.C. Andersson

The number on the metering rods is 75 664. I tried to find the numbers at the bottom of the base using strong light and a magnifying glass without any luck. The only additional information I got is the size of the holes in the base; 33,2 mm. The only number there is, is the ones on the front and backside on the base which just confused me. Anyhow, it seems like it is either a 720 or 2122 model which I think require the same repair kit if I understand it right.
    I will take a look at the jets too, to see if they are the correct ones to this engine.
    Thank you for your kind answers!

J.C.

Attached Files:

13. carbking

carbking

Metering rods 75-664 were standard rods on both the 719s (S/T) and the 720s (A/T) carbs. The throttle linkage is totally different, so you can tell which one you have. Rebuilding kits are the same for both.

Note the swirl pattern on the bottom of the cast iron throttle body. Many of the cheaper commercial carburetor rebuilders (carburetors obtained from FLAPS) didn't take the time to check castings for warpage; they simply ground the bottom of the flange with a large grinder, thereby (hopefully) taking care of any warpage (the cast iron virtually NEVER warped), and also removing the code number.

The 2122s use a different metering rod.

Jon.

14. J.C. Andersson

J.C. Andersson

That's good news. Now I can go on working with it, knowing that the carb is in fact useable for my engine.

I made the same assumption, but with your help I think I will be fine. For me, it is not a serious problem if it is a 719 or a 720 as I got a manual trans.
    Carbking, Thanks a lot! I will get back to you if I need parts.
    Also, thanks to BabbitBeater and 302GMC!

J.C.

15. BabbitBeater

BabbitBeater
    from Colorado

Glad to pitch in, good luck on your project!