Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Cadillac Flathead FED Build- The FlatCad Too!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 38FLATTIE, Sep 7, 2013.

1. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

2. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Hell Carl, what would be really cool is a V12 Lincoln. :D

Bill Whitehurst likes this.
  3. Yea Tom but not enough room, maybe a 337 though I think I might be able to make it fit......but a Cad flathead with the exhaust pipes coming over the fenders, now that would be the cats ass............need some dimentions though hummmm?????

4. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

What dimensions do you need? I'm thinking you'd LOVE one of these for a tow engine!:D

5. Total length, width and weight........

6. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Jackson has one sitting there, so I bet he'll post that info up for you!;)

Think Hemi or BBC, though-this ain't a little flathead!

7. 31ford429

31ford429
    from Florida

Can't waiting to see the engine build

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Hey Carl I will get some measurements this evening and let ya know

Chrome don't get ya home

9. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Thought I would update this thread just a bit I have actually made some progress this weekend and should make some more progress this week many things are in the works it's amazing how many parts a person has to make when your on a budget as tight as I am but when you get all the parts together show able progress happens fast. A couple weeks ago I was able to purchase the tubing to start on the chassis but wasn't able to get started till now anyhow I have the tubing bent so I can start the assembly, the 4-71 blower case is being pruned off for the engine after I finally come up with a good one, I have a corvair steering box that was sponsored by none other than the world famous Kerry here on the hamb the front axle and spring is ready the front spindles are almost machined for the 19" wire spoke wheels I was so graciously given by mike at s&s restoration and should be done by the end of the week I have the 8 3/4 Chrysler rear narrowed and ready for install rear end brackets are made and after I get a new chop saw wheel tomorrow I will have most of the tubing cut then the fun begins so stay tuned as progress is starting to happen here is sneak peek of some of the parts

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1382934691.377995.jpg

Chrome don't get ya home

10. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Half of the fun in building old style drag cars with odd engines is building the bits and pieces the way they used to have to do it. The other half is when people ask where you got the parts and you can say you made them. As someone here had in their sig line. "It's not how fast you go, it's how you go fast".

11. Hummm kinda like the altitude of the PU behind the parts also!!!

12. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Thanks Carl I've had that thing for ten years and finally got it running a couple weeks ago now I gotta save some more money for paint lol anyways your dragster is a big inspiration for this one hope to be able to make it to eagle field and outrun your car lol

Chrome don't get ya home

13. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

This sounds like the plan coming together fast;)
    It's gone be done before I get my ..ss up to Mo-Kan again:)

K

Taildragger&fenderless

14. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

It has begun chassis work is happening been busy the last few days bending tubing and tacking the chassis together here are a few pics of progress so far still have a long ways to go but so far everything is measuring out good and square more to come so stay tuned

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383196018.526117.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383196037.387336.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383196061.804120.jpg

Chrome don't get ya home

15. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Man this is gonna be cool, Is it hard to find a good flat cad block? do they have the cracking problems the fords had where you might inspect 3 or 10 blocks before finding a builder?

16. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I'm not real sure about the crack problems buddy knows more about that than I do fortunately we have a good motor to start with

Chrome don't get ya home

17. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Looking good, Can't wait to see the rolling chassis ,,,, Tim Jones

18. Nice start, what are you going to do for the front end?

19. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Well I have a 40 ford front axle and transverse spring and a real nice set of split wishbones and have a set of 19" wire wheels that I have adapted to the early ford spindles I wish I could afford a new chrome front end but that's not really in the budget right now any thoughts? What kind of caster angle do you think it needs? I'm always up for ideas

Chrome don't get ya home

20. I'm running 23 deg on mine and with a 130 wb I really like it. It had over 40 origionally and I didn't like the "flopper" front end, now it turns great and is real stable......

21. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Thanks for the info Carl I was thinking that 20-25 degrees would be a good starting point

Chrome don't get ya home

22. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Had to look at mine , its at 30 degrees ,,, Tim Jones

Attached Files:

23. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Thanks for the info Tim I've made some more progress I have most of the chassis tacked together its about time to start putting the front and rear end in it any ideas on how far the rear axle centerline needs to be above the lower frame rail I'm gonna be running about a 30" tall tire here is a couple pics of tonight's progress so far

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383271997.334978.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383272021.100984.jpg

Chrome don't get ya home

24. dragsled

dragsled
    from Panama IA

Looks good , I went out this AM and measured mine the center line was 6 inchs, I plan on running a 30 or 31 tire , my car is kinda nose high , make sure you have the ground clearance at the rear of the chassis, I plan on gettin a drop axle for the front when I have some spare money money:confused:,, I looked at mine Scotty finn blueprints they have the rear centerline at less than 6 from the look of it,,, this is with a 27 inch tall tire as you can see the rear of the chassis is to close to the ground with that short of a tire ,,,Tim Jones

Attached Files:

25. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Looks good, Randy!

I guess I better get busy!

26. christmas tree

christmas tree

Looks pretty good to me as I remember a chassis research. I realize you have added to the roll bar.

27. bfalfa55

bfalfa55

Looks good Wrenchbender ! Saw your photos on Duck's site first. I wish I had 1/8 of the cool crap you have in your shop !

28. Mine is 7 1/2" up from Bottom rail and I have about 3.4" of ground clearance at bottom pan with 28 1/2 tire

29. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Not much to report tonight didn't have a chance to work tonight but Carl and Tim thanks for the info on your cars you guys are a big help to us here on the ol flatcad team

Chrome don't get ya home

30. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Well I was able to make some progress tonight I narrowed up an 8 3/4 Chrysler housing I had and stabbed a center section in it then cut down some old broken axles I had laying around so I could at least make a roller out of it then fabbed up some mounting plates for the rear mounted up a set of wore out pie crust slicks on some old slot mags I had for some set up rollers and voila I now have a rear end tacked in place I also mounted they spindles I machined to accept some vintage 19" wire motorcycle wheels I scored awhile back on the 40 ford axle I'm using and as soon as I get a couple more pieces made I will be able to mount the front end in it and the digger will be a roller here are a few pics

Chrome don't get ya home