Register now to get rid of these ads!

'50s song titles on your ride -- common???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustomsrule, Aug 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unclmx

unclmx
    from Atlanta Ga

I remember a guy had "Beats Walkin" on the rear quarter of his car

2. Popular in this part of the world to in the late 50s, through 60s even into the 70s. Some I remember
    Peggy Sue
    Apache
    Alley Oop
    Blue Moon
    Only The Lonely
    Lil Darlin
    Rebel Rouser
    Lil Duece Coupe

In todays world it seems corny or hokey, but it was cool back then, and a true 50s build would likely wear a name, not necessarily a song title, but a name of some sort. Non-song names I recall
    Sayonara
    Black Duece
    Black Widow
    Comanchie
    Sputnik
    Comanchero
    Tempest

3. 327Eric

327Eric

off topic for the era, but I saw a 67 chrysler new yorker, with "Blew By You" on the trunk once. Gut worked at a boat shop, which i thought was appropriate.

4. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Davey Crockett had a rifle he called "ol' Betsy". Naming things goes back a long way. The first cars were hand made to order and most had names. In the twenties in England at Brooklands they raced the hot rods of the day with names like "The Slug" "Icanopit" "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang". That last one was a Mercedes with an airplane engine in it, the name came from the title of a WW1 era song.

Roth's custom paint business in the fifties was based on lettering names on cars along with pinstriping, flames etc. He was not the only one doing it.

Most guys wanted something witty and a popular song title filled the bill if you couldn't think of anything better.

5. fbama73

fbama73

Agreed. To each his own, but I'd rather put 22" spinners and neon on my car.

6. 1950 silver bullet

1950 silver bullet
    from Austin, TX

still doin it. not a fiftys song but my little red nova wore FAST CARS & FREEDOM for a few years. rascal flatts. the front plate was a chevrolet usa. MEANS THE SAME THING !!!

7. buckd

buckd

In 1964 I had a Red '57 Ford PU with fiestas named Rockin' Robin scripted just behind the door.

8. Ya mean like this?;)

Attached Files:

9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

First garage I worked at the bosses father had a little Triumph Herald coupe. One day when it was in for service I lettered "Made in Disneyland" on the rear quarters, low down, in small letters. Luckily the boss thought it was funny. I don't think his father ever noticed.

10. 63comet

63comet

No Corvairs but I've owned a few cars mentioned in that book. My Comet features the "spear of death"!

11. madjack

madjack

Although it is not a 50's-60's song. This is my most procomp drag bike. They all get song names.

Attached Files:

12. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

3 years later finding this thread. My 61 Unibody is "fools paradise" Named for the previous owner and their "quality" work on the truck before I got it. Again, no pics on the work computer but maybe I'll remember to snap one when I get home tonight.

13. 911 steve

911 steve
    from nebraska

my avatar shows the deck lid on my black 40 Ford. Pam Anderson-witch pinup for Santana's "Black Magic Woman". also had a chopped 54 chevy sedan delvery with a Buick Grand Nat'l turbo V6 that said "its just a stock 6-cylinder" on the rear door.

14. mammyjammer

mammyjammer
    from Area 51

Friend of mine had a van in the late 70s called " Blue Moon".
    He would tell the ladies that you need to try it "Once in a Blue Moon"
    Got a lot of laughs if nothing more!!!

15. A lot of dead threads revived lately,but my take is song names on cars is kinda of a period thing.

It was pretty popular,in my neck of the woods,back in the 50's and early 60's with the guys that built customs,not so much on hot rods. HRP

16. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

It was a big thing in Ohio in the late 50's early 60's. I remember a black 59 Impala that some chick had that had "Runaround Sue" and a 57 Ford ragtop "HoundDog" My 54 Olds is going to have" Let's Stay Out Late in My 88" on the trunk lid, I know, not a song title but I like it antway.

17. Down South Racer

Down South Racer

Across the deck lid of many a 55-57 Chevrolet drag car could be found either "You Cant Catch Me" or a line from a great Huey "Piano""Smith song, "Come On Let Me Show You Where Its At".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.