Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 354/392 Hemi in a Falcon? Period correct?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by SixFour, Oct 11, 2013.

1. SixFour

SixFour
    from So cal

Would it be era correct to run a 354 or 392 Hemi in a Falcon. I'm shooting for an early 60's gasser and am trying to keep it as correct as possible as I've never seen a Falcon with a early hemi motor in it.

I have a line on a 354 and the Hemi has always been my favorite motor, but will save it for another project if it wouldnt be 'right' in a falcon.

Also on the hunt for a 1 piece glass front end if anyone knows of a company who produces them

Attached Files:

2. I would say yes since those engines were only a few years old when the Falcon was new. Was it common? Probably not, but I'm sure it was done. Ain't nothing new in hotrodding. Go for it. I'd love to see it. But then again I would love to see a hemi in most anything.

3. 24riverview

24riverview

From Hot Rod Deluxe

Attached Files:

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yes. You have the HAMB's permission.:rolleyes:

5. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

A waste of a good engine....

6. SixFour

SixFour
    from So cal

I don't really know what to say back to that...

If your stating you don't think it is a good idea in your opinion then ok, i posted this to get opinions whether you think its a good or bad idea...

But if your trying to take a stab and talk shit at the car i've been building by saying its a waste then you can fuck off.

7. wade57

wade57
    from BC Canada

SixFour....wake up,a fuckin hemi in anything is cool...a falcon hell yeah. I got a 440 that I'm going to stuff into my 57 chev wagon

8. My votes with curbspeed and fred.If you got it do it.

9. snaptwo

snaptwo

Hey most anything went back then ! The idea was to put the biggest into the smallest possible . Just for need of transportation , I put a 331 in a '50 Olds. Falcon might be a challenge because of the spring towers but could be done with a straight axle .

10. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

What I mean is you should put a Ford engine in a Ford. It's not like there aren't enough to choose from. Put a cammer in it.

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Engine swapping is the back bone of the sport.

12. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

"Put a Ford in a Ford" ... yeah, youre right... nobody has ever put a different brand engine in a Ford. I guess Norm should not have put a Caddy engine in his Ford. Ivo must have his head checked for the Buick in his Ford. Good to see you have ANY imagintion at all.

And your answer is "put a cammer" in it??? Ok, sure... you have a few extra of those laying around that you would be willing to let go of at all?? Thanks for your incredible opinion.

13. sewman

sewman
    from Toledo,Oh

Hey,it's your car & your engine do it.I've always wanted to put a flathead V-8in a 57 Chev & watch the looks I'd get when I open the hood.There's a lot of old Fords & Mercs w/Chev in them.

14. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

There was one around me back in the early 70's, it's still bouncing around the area it was Blue with an axle

15. correct or not I say to hell with it and build it. I'd be super sweet! keep us posted on the build

16. Cerberus

Cerberus

I say whatever floats your boat. Shoe horning a bigger engine into small car is a challenge. Picking a hemi will make it an intense labor of love.

17. I see this "waste of a good engine" all the time on various sites. Of course, they're right. I mean, once that engine is in there, it can never come out and is doomed to spend all of eternity in that tinny Falcon;)
    BTW, whoever Rodger is, his Hemi Falcon is way bitchen

18. Yea well there's another one you won't get huh?

19. So I wonder if "roger" got on the era's equivalent of the internet and asked a bunch of posers if he should do it ?

Put that hemi in there and go kick some ass!!!

20. sloppy_J

sloppy_J

Ford in a ford? Hey at least its not another bellybutton sbc....... im a mopar guy first, ford guy 2nd. It wouldnt hurt my feelings to see a hemi in a falcon. Bet it will haul some ass. You have my vote.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. boogeracng

boogeracng
    from Eureka,MO

my hydraulic shoehorn is for rent.....................

22. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

Im all mopar all the way and I am totally diggin the idea of a hemi falcon. You see tons of falcons with 289s or 302s in them but a hemi? Freakin sweet! Thats exactly what I said to a customer today who brought me a freakin chevy S-10 with a 440/727 in it!!!! If he can shove a 440 into an S10 you can shoehorn a hemi into a falcon. Too cool!!!!

23. I'm not a Ford or Mopar. guy...hence my name....I think it build would be sick!!!go for it, build a period car that will have people wondering if u just pulled it from a barn then refreshed it..

24. verde742

verde742

there is a 67 Camaro at Bonneville occasionally, that runs a Ford flathead,,love to see one on the street.

Russ Meeks from Oregon put a new 406 Ford engine in a 56 Nomad..bout 1968

your garage, your rules,, just don't quit 1/2 thru the operation..

25. Kustomism

Kustomism

I'm kind of scratching my head here,
    "Traditionally speaking" you can put any engine in any car . Isn't that Hot Rodding !

26. Project Paladin

Project Paladin
    BANNED

When I got my falcon I did a lot of research in to falcon race cars. There was a 1960 or 1961 falcon in So Cal running a 354 hemi. There's a photo of it on Google. It was blue.

27. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

I'm not a brand fan in any way but I agree with hendo that plenty of people have gone the Ford in a Ford route. The Chevy in a Ford is sure to get the posts flying, too. At the end of the day, you're taking the car home, make it your way. IMO though, Hemis rock and if you have one, go for it!

28. sunbeam

sunbeam