Register now to get rid of these ads!

Iron Invasion returns to Chicago October 11 & 12, 2013 Woodstock IL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coolstuff, May 18, 2013.

1. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

I think it will be fine just as long as it doesn't have a honda bumper on it! lololol
    Jay

2. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

You can put a for sale sign on the cars - not a problem.
    The inspectors will determine where you park. We have spectator parking, friends parking, and hot rod/kustom parking.
    There are entry guidelines on the site
    www.ironinvasion.com

3. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

There are no cooler police, but we would appreciate it if you supported the food and drink vendors on site.
    It helps the show keep going.
    PBR Tall Boys are 2 for $5 or $3 each.
    [​IMG]

4. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

How many cars are you guys expercting at this point? Pre-registration?
    Jay

5. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

last year we had around 225 pre reg and we had a total of 686 traditional rods and customs.........
    add another 125 (ish) friends cars (American muscle or street rods etc)

This year our pre reg totals were up to around 300.
    So this means about a 30% increase.
    If you throw that across the board, we could possibly get 800 traditional rods and customs and even more friends........
    it would be really great if we could get a TOTAL of 1,000 cars.
    It may not happen, but it is a goal.

I hope you will come out and support it and please
    ARRIVE EARLY on Saturday.

The traffic in Woodstock is a cluster under normal circumstances. Add 5,000 spectators all trying to get to the same location around 10am and you get a bottleneck that equates to 2 miles in 30 minutes. That is what happened last year and I suspect it will be worse this year.Please get there before 10am and you should be good.
    ARRIVE EARLY!

6. Hellfish

Hellfish

I will be inspecting cars and I would send it to the friend/VIP/non-show car area. It's a stock car with the hubcaps removed. Every inspector has a different understanding of the rules for defining a custom/hot rod, so we often debate borderline cars, but I generally look for some effort put into modification. Lowering by Mother Nature (rust & sagging springs) doesn't cut it, and simply removing the caps doesn't make it a custom. Lowering, shaving, paint, etc all contribute toward defining a custom.

7. kply39

kply39
    from N.W. IL

Hellfish, I figured it would be in that area, just asking. My father is going and was hoping to park with him but i understand if I cant. That pic is when I bought the car. Its not a custom yet because I cant afford it lol. We used all the money to make it a driving, legal, and safe car.

8. Zaq

Zaq

This makes me happy.
    I cannot wait till Friday night.

9. lowelife

lowelife

^^^^^^^ That should make for a good Friday night!

10. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Man I am tempted to make the run over to this show. It is only 9 hours away. hmmmm?
    Jay

11. Do it! One of the best shows in the Midwest hands down.

12. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

Hey Hellfish

This car may be considered borderline by some so I gotta ask, where will I be parking?

Lowered a bit, tube grille, subtle pinstriping, custom interior...

Attached Files:

13. Hellfish

Hellfish

That's 3-4 modifications that you listed. According to the site only 2 are required.

For me, the grille and lowering would be sufficient. I usually don't count pinstriping as a major modification, but it usually pushes borderline cars over the edge into koolsville.

So yeah, I'd flag you on into the hot rod/custom parking area.

14. 59bones

59bones
    from Illinois

Hey thanks for the reply and will see you there. Hopefully no rain like the Saturday at Torquefest!

15. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Has anyone put together a HAMB Meet & Greet?

16. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

The vagabonds have posted something. About the sheep barn at 4 pm I think

17. Hellfish

Hellfish

4pm Friday - the Meet with Meat, right?

18. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What about a HAMB Meet & Greet on Saturday?

19. Just got unloaded for the swap meet. The weather is perfect. Several cars and vendors are here and setting up. The blown chrysler is set up to inside. Come make me a offer on the eight deuce blower manifold. Its now for sale with carbs. Looking gorward to a great weekend.

20. Zaq

Zaq

The weather has been beautiful all week and now a chance of thunderstorms Saturday. Damn. O well...I'm leaving to head up there in about 24 hours...can't wait! Ready to party tomorrow night that's for sure.

21. Speed~On

Speed~On

I was kinda concerned about the weather as well. Just watched the weather report and it looks like we're probably going to be ok. They're saying if it does rain it will be moving out by 9:00/10:00 AM, then sun. Good, because I have about 9 hours into cleaning my car. Also, have family coming in from out of state to ride with me.

22. Hellfish

Hellfish

The show will be great rain or shine! Bring a poncho or umbrella just in case.
    At worst, any rain will keep those pesky spectators away... but unfortunately, they bring in the most money for the charity.

23. oldiron73

oldiron73
    from WISCONSIN

Leaving around 11 and then checking into hotel and then off to one of the open houses. Looking forward to a fun weekend.......

24. truckedup 28

truckedup 28

Cars were parked last night. Well be back this afternoon.

25. 2manydoors

2manydoors
    from indiana

:confused:
    Hope your joking? A lot of spectators are currently in the middle of builds.They also contribute to the growth of the show.

26. superprojoe

superprojoe
    from Illinois

Spectators will also be future participants to the show with new cars!!!

27. 1955IHC

1955IHC

:confused::confused::confused:

I myself sincerely hope your joking! I don't have a ride running this year and it doesn't bother me. But these shows do more then just support a charity! They introduce the masses to our hobby! HELLFISH I REALLY HOPE JOKING! I may be a FNG BUT THAT IS A BULLSHIT MENTALITY. AND I HOPE RYAN SEES THIS!!!!!

Sent via Illinois Bell Telephone Company's Car Radiotelephone

28. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

No sense of humor.

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say your comment is way out of line when it is posted towards one of the people who put the event on.

I quit taking my cars to a couple of events because they became all about the spectator gate receipts and participant gate numbers and not about having a quality event for the folks with real hot rods customs and street rods.
    One that I participated in for 22 years out of a 24 year period (no qualified car the other two) has now gone from being one of the premier pre 48 hot rod events in the Pacific North West to a Walmart parking party after it started letting in up to 72 in with no restrictions on the cars let in. Any ragged assed car off the street can register as long as it is 72 or older and has the 65 dollar entry fee. Their big push is getting numbers registered and numbers through the spectator gate.

I commend The club that puts on the event for keeping high standards and sticking to them with inspectors at the gates to either allow or turn away cars that qualify or don't qualify and like Hellfish's tongue in cheek attitude on the "pesky" spectators, Most of who are only killing a few hours and some who are only there because they "got stuck with the kids" on visitation weekend.

There are a lot of different kinds of "spectators." Those of us who drive long distances or even fly across the world to go to "the" event that we always read about, who may have a car at home or are building a car, Those of us who have a enthusiast car that doesn't qualify for entry into the event, those of us who are building a car or want to build one and are looking for ideas or even looking for a car for sale or parts either in the swap meet or vendor areas. Then there are the life stylers who show up but will never own a rod or custom and then the time killers who go because the hot rod show is where they can kill a few hours. It is the time killers that Hellfish called pesky.

That sounds like a bucket list must take the rod or custom to some day event .

30. 1955IHC

1955IHC

Mr48Chevy.
    I stand by what I said! It's 50% of what the shows are about. Did you not bring a car to a show to be looked at and admired? You statement is contradictory. I said nothing about having rules and regs on the type of cars allowed. If you have a problem with spectators keep your shit in the garage where no one can see it and park something you don't think is worthy of your attention next to it! And by the way I'm spectating at the show!

Sent via Illinois Bell Telephone Company's Car Radiotelephone