Register now to get rid of these ads!

#*#October 2013 Banger Meet#*#

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazydaddyo, Oct 1, 2013.

1. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1381326918.497521.jpg
    Oops pic didn't post

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

There was a HAND IN THE BOX?????

3. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

A box of car parts is just like a cookie jar there is always a hand in it.

4. It IS almost Halloween, Bluto :D

5. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

True Bill

But for real Halloween we'd need the face attached to that hand :cool:

6. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Bluto....
    That just might get this thread shut down :)

7. Rivet

Rivet

Anyone have any experience with how much power a stock A clutch system will hold up? At the ROG this weekend I was getting clutch slip at the top of third and half of third. I am using new clutch disk and a good used pressure plate on a 46lb flywheel, I chose on pure laziness to not go whole hog and convert the flywheel for the v8 assembly.

8. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

If you don't want to go V8 Then have your presser plate rebuilt with new spring to help hold that disc. Your spring might be week from time.

9. So no one knows? Its ok to tell me it can't be done and I need to buy the new shiny part, but Old Ford stuff blends together nicely and I'm sure its been done before but I have searched a lot and find nothing:( not even putting the gears in a B box as Hitchhiker suggested could be done. DaddyO, BC, Anyone...

10. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I had a 34 pickup 327 Corvette, ford box ..... split wishbones this was 40 years ago

They told me it had a nose from a postwar truck gave me an open driveline

But whatever it was it worked and honest I never got under there to look

11. Timberbeast

Timberbeast

I have never heard of another way to attach a V8 box to an A engine. Most of the parts suppliers carry the adapter housing and associated hardware. Snyders, Bratton, etc. I have used one in the past with a Lincoln Zephyr tranmission, it worked very well.

The 39 gears will fit in a B box but you will have to use the 39 shift tower since the forks are slightly wider on on the later transmissions.

Timberbeast / Jerry

12. Memory tells me that after 37 the gear boxes have a slightly larger, deeper, well in the front bottom to create more clearance for the cluster gear to drop when tearing down or re- assembling the trans. The early pre 39 gears will fit but the forks are larger on the later boxes cause they have larger synchros. I think this is what I remember. Going to put a 37 box together with all the later stuff after we finish with the 38 Lincoln side shift. The 37 had all the later synchros and is a "Joe Mac" rebuild with a open drive (pick up) conversion.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  13. Bill, Bluto, Jerry thank you just the references I was needing. I think the adapter will be the easiest to come up with but you never know what one can find at swap meets. What is the part number on the B case?

14. I am not sure of a part number but you should be able to recognize a B case in that the starter is on the left side of the case. I put 40 gears in a B case and used the 39 top shifter. You will also need a B flywheel housing and some sort of lower flywheel cover since the B flywheel housing has none. I used a B rear part off a B oil pan. This will all bolt up to an A motor.

Now if you do this you still need to find a way to mount your wishbone and pedals.

Attached Files:

• 1008.jpg
      1008.jpg
      File size:
      137.1 KB
      Views:
    • 1011.jpg
      1011.jpg
      File size:
      151.7 KB
      Views:
  15. Timberbeast

Timberbeast

Tiny, if you use a B case and bell housing you will have trouble mounting it in your A frame. The B mounts from the rear of the tranny to the K cross member, not from the flywheel housing. You will still need to get an adaptor for your pedals and wishbone. It may be best to use your tranny with the adaptor housing. See pictures in post 45.

Timberbeast / Jerry

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  16. Beast
    I do believe you are correct. The adapter look like money well spent, now that I see what it takes to use the B case. Is Clings the only one who makes them? I assume that's who the major parts houses get theirs from as the pic of them and the price is the same.

17. Not sure who is making them now, I think most use to be supplied by Specialty Ford Parts. There are different patterns now, some are thicker than others. I say this because if you use a V8 flathead flywheel you usually have to relieve the adapter on the inside to clear flywheel starter ring gear and some seem to require more material removed than others. My experience is with 4 of them. I now have a small fixture to mount them on my rotary table. I use a ball nose end mill so it leaves a radius. One more thing, I have cleared a stock A bell housing to clear the V8 starter ring, kinda thin but held up after a few hard pulls on dirt road

18. 97

Check out Macspeed , I think their bellhousing /adapters have the wishbone mount and pedal mount cast in.

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

My Hershey find for 2013, wonder what this T engine looked like. No name on the aluminum cover, any idea who made it? It's a pattern for a new casting some day. Bob

Attached Files:

20. Is that a cam driven oil pump?

21. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

22. Too cool!!:)!! All the neat stuff you can find for T's makes me want to build a speedster of some sort.

23. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

You can find them for A's too

24. I've never seen one before. There seems to be serious tonage when it comes to cool "hop up" stuff for T's. Maybe its because they made so many of them or maybe its because so many fewer play with T's any more. Do you have an extra for an A Bluto?

25. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Here is one for an A / B

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

You can make one with a cover like this:

[​IMG]

27. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I'm in Poland

28. You just have all the neat stuff CDO!!
    Thanks for the pics. I have a timing cover that has been modified with a bolt like the one above. I assume that's to keep the cam from "walking" forward more accurately then the stock spring?

29. I was kidding!! Yes i know your in Poland, it always amazes me. Are you originally from the states?