Register now to get rid of these ads!

52 chevy rear end replacement......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Señor X, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Señor X

Señor X
    from Spain

Hi guys!

I want to replace the rear end on my 52' chevy.

The car has a 64' V8 Corvette 327 small block and 4 speed gear box and the stock rear end is absolutely not enough...

I read a lot about the different possibilities but I'm not sure 100%...

Now I can buy near to my home a 69' and a 79' Camaro rear ends, but... are those good options? One better than the other? Some of you have some of this on your car?
    I need your help!! ;-)

Thank you!!

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the 79 rear is a bit wide, I believe the 69 is better suited for these cars. I had a 1979 rear in my old 49 sedan with 6" chrome wheels and couldn't run my skirts because they rubbed.

3. if hear novas fit ... if anyone knows what year and models ..for these cars i would like to know . and it would be great to have a master list of whats been used . please say if you plan on running stock leafs >??

4. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I have a 78 Camaro rear in my '50 sedan delivery. No problems at all but I'm running stock wheels. Spring saddles were the right width at least.

5. If you can find one look for a 1955-57 Chevy car rear end they fit perfect.

6. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

1968 to 70 nova works well.

7. 270283

If this car is up and running, I don't think the stock rear is in it, as the stocker would have been a torque tube and not compatible with the 4-speed. Could you post a picture of what is in there now? And why are you concerned with it? Strength or gear ratio? By the way, Spain is a very scenic country. I spent some time there a few years ago, and enjoyed it's beauty and history.

8. hard-headed

hard-headed

i have a 69 nova in mine

9. blacknblue

blacknblue
    from utah

10. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I imagine you're really limited to what you can use due to your location, EUROPE. Here, the Tri-Five, Nova-Camaro-Firebird rears are popular, so is the 4 WD Blazer/S-10's, but they have a small 7.5/7.625 ring gear, not the strongest. Another good rear is the MOPAR 8 3/4, and then the Fords as long as they are the right length (they seem to go from really narrow to really wide).I agree on posting a pic of what you have in there now, it might be just fine; it's not the "stock" rear end IF you have that engine/trans already in the car. Is it the avitar pic? Butch/56sedandelivery.

11. Señor X

Señor X
    from Spain

The car is the one on the avatar picutre, yes.
    The rear end is the stock one, for sure. It never worked so nice, but I tried to save some money and keep it on the car... but the problem is that I begin to hear some "crank-crank-crank" on it. I can put it out, open it and try to replace the part damaged... Or I can try to do it well and replace the entire rear end for a more accurated one.
    The problem, as you said, is that it's not easy to find too many Novas or Camaros here in Spain... but I found two... one 69' Camaro (automatic trans.), and one 79' Camaro (manual trans.)
    As you said, I think it could work... but I was not sure 100%...