Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A Hallock style windshield with stock gas tank ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrodnomader, Oct 9, 2013.

1. hotrodnomader

hotrodnomader

I have a 29 Model a roadster. I really like the looks of a Hallock style windshield but I like using the stock gas tank. Any ideas on how to keep the stock gas tank and have a hallock windshield ?

2. -Sled-

-Sled-

Not that I know of without moving the fill location, but I will be watching this thread hoping for other options

3. The only way I can think of is keep your gas tank and hang the Hallock windshield frame on the wall. :D HRP

4. hotrodnomader

hotrodnomader

Yeah, I really like the windshields but also like having the stock gas tank.

5. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

Shave the filler neck and put it somewhere else?

6. okiegreaser

okiegreaser
    from LA

This is probably your only option. If you're running a hood maybe you could hide a filler neck at the top of the firewall so you could still fill the majority of the tank?

7. 208custom

208custom

Mounting the Windshield and keeping the tank sealed/safe will also be a challenge.

8. Depending on the direction your hardware is to mount you could weld some bungs into the top of the cowl in order to keep it sealed. But between moving the filler and welding in some bungs you might as well mount the tank somewhere else. Just my two cents.

9. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Agreed.

With all of the challenges mentioned, it'd be tough to securely mount the Hallock frame to the cowl and still use the gas tank.

On mine, I just cut the tank out and mounted a tank right behind the seat, in the trunk. Cutting the tank out also provided space for the fuse block, battery cuttoff switch, relays, etc.

Malcolm

10. There you go! HRP

11. lorodz

lorodz

I was jist wondering the samething.I would lile to run factory tank and hallock style frame, anyone try to make one or attempt to figure this out

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

12. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

One of the biggest problems would be fastening the Hallock frame to the cowl/tank. Mine, like most of them out there, is drilled/tapped on the bottom 'rail' of the frame. Bolts from the bottom side (inside of tank) are used to hold the windshield frame to the cowl/tank.