Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Budget (hopefully) Traditional T Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobs66440, Sep 30, 2013.

1. bobs66440

bobs66440
    from New York

I started a thread about this build in another area, but I figured I would start a new proper build thread here.

Here's the original thread with more detailed back-story, but this thread has all the pertinent stuff...
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=782981

From the beginning and in chronological order beginning around March of this year...

I've been wanting to build a traditional T for a long time now, but I'm on a budget (who isn't...) It would be a no frills, no chrome type of build...chopped windshield, skinnies on steelies or chrome reverse, painted front axle, bare bones interior...

I see that frames can be had from Spirit Cars for $600 and bodies for $700. For the frame, it seems like a lot of engineering value for the money, especially since all the brackets and mounts are already welded. I don't think it pays to try to build it myself for that money...

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  2. bobs66440

bobs66440
    from New York

I bought this '84 Camaro as a donor car to use the engine & trans for the build.

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz65/bobs66440/IMG_1681900x672_zps2bfc5199.jpg
    http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz65/bobs66440/IMG_1682900x672_zps6fb9f13f.jpg
    It's a very rust free and fairly clean example. The engine is warmed over with a Eddy Performer cam, intake and carb. It starts right up and runs awesome. The trans was rebuilt 2000 miles ago and I assume the rear is good (haven't driven it). It has all new tires, brakes and front end parts. Also has a brand new fiberglass cowl induction hood. The best part is I got it for $1000. It's almost too nice to take apart. You don't see many around here that are this clean. But the fact is, they just aren't worth much. Sooo, she's comin' apart!

I can use the engine (needs to be cleaned and painted, but otherwise good), trans, rear and brakes directly from the car. I can sell the wheels & tires for maybe $200-$300. The hood is almost $600 new, so $300 shouldn't be a problem. I can probably part out a lot of the rest for an additional $500 or so. But, even if I just scrap it, I should be able to get $200 for it. So, all in all, I should be able to end up with the whole drive train for around $300. Not too bad so far...

I'll keep you posted on the progress...

3. bobs66440

bobs66440
    from New York

Some new parts arrived in good condition Tuesday and are very nice overall. I started to mock it up to see how it will look. I am waiting on a few more parts to make it a roller. Hopefully within a week or so I should have most of the chassis components mocked up. I had it made with a 2" drop built in to the front spring perch and rear kick up.

I made a little more progress. I am continuing to mock up and pre fit things so I can get a feel for how it will go together. There are a few things I will need to modify, but overall I think it will be a relatively easy and fun build.

New 15x5 front wheels.
    [​IMG]

Ebay Vega steering box...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  4. bobs66440

bobs66440
    from New York

I decided to just buy an engine & trans for the bucket and sell the Camaro as a runner to try to make some cash.

I have the new (old) 350 in the shop. The seller delivered the greasy mess to me Friday..

[​IMG]

I degreased it and cleaned it up...it doesn't look much different, but it's a lot cleaner...
    [​IMG]

I stripped it down and it actually looks pretty clean inside and the plugs look pretty good. I think I'll install some new plugs, wires, gaskets, valve stem seals, etc., pretty it up and run it!

[​IMG]

5. bobs66440

bobs66440
    from New York

Well, it turns out the great deal on the engine wasn't so great after all. While checking it out, I found an exhaust valve leaking bad when I pressurized the cylinder. It looks burnt or almost there. I dropped the heads off at the machinist yesterday for a valve job. And a lobe on the cam was wiped. Soooo, the engine now sits in a pile and there goes the budget. Fortunately the pistons and cylinders look pretty good with almost no wear apparent, so I should be able to get away with a quick hone, rings, bearings, cam lifters....

Fortunately, SBC stuff is cheap!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

While it's torn apart, I will definitely go through it. I'm going to bring the block to have it cleaned, honed, and new cam bearings & freeze plugs installed. The good news is my buddy has a good set of heads with low mileage that he will let me have for $50. That will definitely help.

6. bobs66440

bobs66440
    from New York

Three months later...

Ok, well it's been a long time since I did any work on the bucket because I got a new (to me) weekend cruiser '55 Chevy that needed some unexpected work.

[​IMG]

Now that it's mostly done, I can get back to business...

7. bobs66440

bobs66440
    from New York

I decided to bag the idea of rebuilding that engine and using the 700R4 when I was able to find a really clean, low mile 350 crate motor and TH350 for $700 out the door. It would have cost me almost double that to rebuild the other one, sooooo it was a no-brainer for me. I just need to clean up and paint the trans and get some nice period dress up goodies for the engine to make it more interesting.

It fit really well in the chassis, and the Spirit body is a perfect fit around the bell housing with only minor trimming needed. Kudos to the guys at Spirit..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. bobs66440

bobs66440
    from New York

A few different angles to get a feel for how it will look...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. bobs66440

bobs66440
    from New York

I went and picked up my new fuel tank....at Harbor Frieght! lol. I looked and looked for a suitable tank to no avail, so I found this $35 (with coupon) 11 gallon air tank that will work nicely I think. I will cut the stands & handle off and weld in a filler neck. I can use the existing air outlet bung for the fuel feed and weld in fittings for the sight glass.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Ha, that air tank to fuel tank is an interesting idea.
    I love it when someone see's a new use for something. It will look better than a keg!

11. flathead31coupe

flathead31coupe
    from indpls, in

nice job looks great .....

12. just a thought, does it need baffles being used as a fuel tank?

13. bobs66440

bobs66440
    from New York

For the most part, most fuel tanks don't have baffles unless it's around an EFI pickup or for racing applications. Then foam is common in fuel cells. It sure wouldn't hurt anything, but I don't think it's necessary...

14. Steve!

Steve!
    BANNED
    from at the gym

15. bobs66440

bobs66440
    from New York

Lol, thanks..

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the baffles in my 35 gallon tank in the bed of my 71 GMC are further apart than that tank is long. Remember most stock tanks hanging under the back of cars never had baffles to begin with.

If you don't count what you bought and didn't use it still should come in fairly reasonable as hot rod builds go investment wise.

17. bobs66440

bobs66440
    from New York

Yes, it shouldn't be too bad. Most of the big spending is done now as I have almost everything to finish it, save for a few odds & ends. It's mostly labor now...

18. Beau

Beau

it don't look traditional, or budget, but I like it!

19. bobs66440

bobs66440
    from New York

Yeah, I suppose it's not traditional in the strictest sense. But I wasn't going for the 70's fat tire look. Sort of a traditional theme, but with some modern stuff. As far as budget goes, I'm hoping to keep it below $7000. I realize that's not really a strict budget, but it should be pretty good bang for the buck...

20. bobs66440

bobs66440
    from New York

I received my new $145 radiator in good condition. And it seems to fit the Spirit shell nicely. The tabs attached to it
    line up with the mounts on the frame too. I will definitely have to make up some extra support also. I'll just have to engineer something...

I may end up mounting it lower in the frame also, we'll see...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. 2racer

2racer

lookin good!

22. mechanic58

mechanic58

Man I had the same exact idea for the fuel tank - except I am planning to take it a step further...I am going to buy two tanks and cut them to make one longer tank for extra capacity. I'd like to have 14-16 gallons. I have that same exact tank in my shop right now and I was planning to buy one more next week. lol

23. bobs66440

bobs66440
    from New York

Hmmm, now you have me thinking! lol. I wanted more capacity but couldn't find a bigger tank that still fit in the area. That's a great idea, hmmm.

24. mechanic58

mechanic58

Isn't the internet great? lol

25. bobs66440

bobs66440
    from New York

Yes, it is :D

26. bobs66440

bobs66440
    from New York

I spent a day modifying the front shock mounts that originally wouldn't fit. I started out mocking up for the Pete & Jakes shorty shocks. They are about 11-1/4" extended and 7-7/8" collapsed. I figured a mounted length about in the middle (1-5/8" travel) should be about right. The front of the frame only has about 1-3/4" travel before it hits the center link, so more travel wouldn't help anyway. I don't think it will go much more than an inch because at 190 lbs., I jump up and down on the front end and it might move 1/2".

I ordered shackle plates but they weren't the correct configuration, so rather than send them back and take a chance on others, I decided to just modify these to work. The original is in the center in this photo.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]