Register now to get rid of these ads!

best placement for battery disconnect

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deuce666, Sep 26, 2013.

1. deuce666

deuce666
    from Oregon

I would appreciate any pictures or ideas for the best placement of a battery disconnect switch. Any pros or cons you have discovered? I have a '32 Ford coupe. thank you in advance - I always get great info from y'all.

2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

We use a Cole Hersee 24200, mounted close to the battery. They are triggered by a remote push button on the ground side. Mount the button in a secret place, only a 16 ga wire is required to run the momentary button, makes it clean and safe.

3. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Loving this idea, didn't know such a thing existed, so checked out the product. I note they're rated at 110a and the terminals are 5/16". I'm no electrical expert but i'm thinking this is only suitable for isolating the supply to the fuseboard and not the supply to the starter :confused:? So a further kill switch would be required to totally isolate the battery? If my suspicions are correct I'm still loving it! Thanks.

Chris

4. not sure if this makes sense but i used the 24200 pus button mounted out of sight ,under the dash but reachable while driving, (emergency use) along with a manual type battery disconnect, located in the trunk, overnight or longer use. of course if you do not turn the trunk switch on first the remote does not work and you can totaly isolate the battery,,,, sort of belt and suspenders hopefullly pants wont fall down

5. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

On both of my hotrods I have manual battery switches that totally disconnect the main battery cable. Both are mounted just in front of the pass. side seat where I can easily reach them if needed, but out of harm's way from a passenger. Both have removeable keys so I can take the key out when parked.
    Don't have agood picture, but here's one when I was doing the carpet in my Austin. If you look hard you can just see the round black switch base sticking through the carpet on the middle of the passenger side.
    [​IMG]

I use Longacre switches that are rated 350 a. continuous, and 500 a. surge. They're under $20 at Summit Racing.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/lng-45748/overview/

6. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The Cole Hersee cutoff I mentioned earlier will handle all of the power, right out of the battery. In the pic, notice it is mounted next to the Ford starter magnetic switch. Cable runs from the hot side of the battery, into the cutoff, a short cable between the cutoff and the magnetic switch. I like it because the trigger button is hidden, and no holes in floors or trunks and the cable has a direct route to the engine.

Attached Files:

7. shop teacher

shop teacher

On my nova its in the right rear wheelhouse- below the battery(in trunk) & behind the tire- it is hidden - I remove the key for security.

On my 51 Willys its in the seat riser glove box below the drivers seat - the key sticks out for removal. The battery is mounted under the truck - in front of the right rear wheel.
    Good Luck, Bill

8. deuce666

deuce666
    from Oregon

Thank you everyone!! great tips, much appreciated.

9. Sticking my two cents worth in here. I've built several vehicles with battery disconnects and a couple of NHRA Legal race cars. Of course on the race cars the disconnect must be on the rear of the car. But in my street driven 46 Pickup, I've put the battery disconnect between the bucket seats.

The main reason for this is...... I can't tell you how annoying it is to get all strapped in and then realize I've not flipped the switch on the outside of the vehicle.

10. It was easy to weld a bracket to the seat frame base, and once the seats are in, provides a great deal of security. I'm in the habit of flipping the disconnect each and every time I get in and out of the truck.

Attached Files:

11. deuce666

deuce666
    from Oregon

Crusty one, thanks much for the picture!!