Register now to get rid of these ads!

318 or rebuild 383

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chunk40, Oct 3, 2013.

1. chunk40

chunk40

ok guys lay it on me.....dropped a lifter in my 383 and have a chance to trade for a running 318.....replace cam and lifters or swap out engine?????what ya think??????

2. rustang

rustang

I'd keep the 383.....

3. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

Going from a 383 to a 318 will be like going from eating steak and lobster every night to eating uncooked ramen noodles. Keep the 383, stab in a hotter new cam and some new lifters and keep making mountains of torque! The 383 is Ma Mopars' best kept secret! They have tons of potential.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

5. Cabbie

Cabbie
    from DeLand, FL

Which car was that in? I dont remember a 383 in your fleet recently.

6. Hyde_Auto_Body

Hyde_Auto_Body

7. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Easier to change cam and lifters if that is all that is wrong.

8. sunbeam

sunbeam

And cheaper. Engine swaps are never as cheap as you think.

9. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You will have to change tranny if you go small block.
    If you stay with the big block the dist is a lot easyer to work on.

10. The 318 is a pretty good motor but won't give you many thrills compared to the potential in the 383.

11. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

Motor mounts wont match up either, so you will have to either fab new ones or try to find a kit...but most kits go the other way....SB to BB not BB to SB. Transmission will have to be swapped, driveshaft as well. None of your pulleys or brackets will work either, so those will need to be sourced or fabbed up. The only thing that will interchange is the starter motor... $150 for a cam and lifter kit, might as well slap on a double roller timing set while you are at it....4 hours and a handfull of beers and you will be back on the road doing burnouts!!! Keep the big block, snag the small block for a future project. What kind of car is this in?

12. 73RR

73RR

Dropped a lifter? as in dropped it on the floor or what? Perhaps I am the only one who doesn't understand the 'lingo'...
    If, by chance, you had a lubrication failure that resulted is metal-to-metal contact between the lifter and the cam, and the lifter, as well as the cam lobe, were physically damaged then you have a problem.
    Has the source of the failure been addressed?
    How bad is/was the damage?
    How much metal particulate will be floating around if you 'just stab in a hotter new cam'... Oh yeah, don't worry about pesky details like appropriate valve springs on a bigger cam.

geesh

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'd do which ever one made me happy.

14. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

I am assuming a lifter collapsed, not all that uncommon. There could be other issues at hand here that we just dont know about....if he wiped a cam lobe then yes...there is definitely going to be lots of metal floating around in there that needs to be addressed.

The stock valve springs and rockers are okay to use on mild cams. I installed a .480/.495 lift 300/308 duration cam in a 383 with the stock springs and rockers and had zero problems other than keeping tread on the rear tires.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  15. is the 318 a big block? how easy is the change? it might be good to swop it, and rebuild the 383 at your leisure.

16. 73RR

73RR

If it is a faulty lifter such as you suggest then why not put in one new lifter and keep driving?

The 318 is either an A or LA series engines. The 'big' blocks are either B (like his 383) or RB.

17. The 318 is either an A or LA series engines. The 'big' blocks are either B (like his 383) or RB.

.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the info. the reason i asked is i had a buddy [like a brother] in high school days that ran a 318 poly, with multi carbs, in a yellow T-bucket rack body. i would vote for that engine [cool factor] over the 383.

18. chunk40

chunk40

Pretty much a bad lifter. ,...well thanks for all the advice...gonna keep the 383 and put in s nee cam lifters timing chain and might as well do a valve job and replace the seats..,,winter project

19. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I love my 383, COMP cams 268Extreme Energy cam, slight lope at idle and makes a lot of power. Comp recommended this cam for my build. Wouldnt change yours to a 318

Attached Files:

20. chunk40

chunk40

Very nice......well here is what I see do far inside the engine

Attached Files:

21. Yuck !
    Think that 318 looks any different!

Keep your 383 engine

22. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see loads of sludge and what looks to me like multiple cooked cam lobes.

Hmmm...oil starvation due to sludge build-up and a plugged oil galley?

23. chunk40

chunk40

that would explain the gold color of the cam.......one guy is telling me I have to do a total rebuild.....I'm thinking a new cam,lifters,valve job and fire her up.....keeping the 383....

24. chunk40

chunk40

bert that is sexy

25. sixpac

sixpac
    from Courtenay

I had a 383 love the power and sounds great 383 gets my vote

26. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He might be right.

If it was oil starvation, you'll just ruin the new cam and lifters too. You better at least de-sludge the engine and make sure oil is flowing to the valvetrain. You may or may not have hurt the lower end too, but it might've only been an issue with the top end. The excessive heat to the cam might've also adversely effected the cam bearings...maybe not. If they need replacing, or the bottom end is hurt, or the block and heads need to be hot tanked, it's time for a rebuild. 383 Mopar engines kick ass. It's worth rebuilding. The guy that wants to trade you a 318 for it knows that. Maybe you could buy and install a decent 440 while you're rebuilding the 383...then sell the 440 when this engine is ready. Good luck.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

27. chunk40

chunk40

Just repaired the collapsed lifter now have 115 compression on a cylinder that had 35.......gonna put her together run tranny fluid through her and see what happens......even sick Wanda still spins the tires

28. abodyjoe

abodyjoe

oh man that thing is a mess inside. looks like no one ever changed the oil in that poor engine.

i'd pull it and go through the 383. if you go 318 you will need motor mounts, a small block trans, probably have to modify the exhaust, and if the 318 doesn't come with them you'll have to find the proper brackets and pulleys then buy all new belts and hoses to fit.

so was it just a lifter or a wiped out cam? if it was a bad cam where do you think all the metal went? if you just throw it together and run it you run the risk of that metal wiping out the rest of the bearings in the motor. i have seen it happen way too many times. looking at the sludge in the lifter valley it may be too late anyway. good luch with whatever you decide.

29. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Thanks chunk40. Here's my engine for the new build, a RPU Cabrio. I think its pretty cool too. Dodge 270 baby hemi

Attached Files:

30. Replace the cam and lifters. As much as I like a 318 it takes a lot to build the torque of a 383 in one.