Register now to get rid of these ads!

Poor Guys Lift

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Edsel58a, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

Well, if any of you are like me, cash deficiant, then you may appreciate this.
    Tired of being on a creeper, lying on your back and wanting a lift? I found this on CL for $100. Fits in my garage and can get a car on it, then remove the ramps and close the door.
    Happy camper today, makes alot of things easier.
    I hope making due with what you can is traditional.....
    [​IMG]

2. Jokester

Jokester

Very cool. I think I'd create a bigger block for the front wheels so you can't drive over. I only suggest this because I drove over my ramps last week. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

.bjb

3. 62dartman

62dartman

Kool!! I'm interested in how it works out for you. The dealer i work for has the same ones just sitting there for about a year or two and GM may be forcing us outta business soon!!!

4. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

I would definately tie the 2 ramps together better before I used it. I'd also get my brother-in-law to crawl under it the first couple of times I used it.

5. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

Jokester, Good idea! Done that with a car dolly before!

62dartman, get them!!!!!

gearheadbill, they are tied together at the top in 2 places. Adding a third. Pretty steady as is though. I'll ask my ex wife over to test before I try doing a trans or something.

6. Agree with tying them together: and I assume you meant a cross-brace between the uprights (side to side). Might somewhat limit your access to some areas of the vehicle, ........ but it could definitely save your butt too!

Cool purchase! Might look around for one myself.

7. Wooster

Wooster
    from Soso, MS

If you are going to be pulling onto ramps by yourself with no one flagging then put up a large mirror on wall of shop at end of ramps to watch your wheels placement on the ramps. It is an accident waiting to happen leaning out with door open watching your wheels.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. havi

havi

There's one nearby my place for $800. I'd say you got a great deal!

9. This is mine...I built it in 20 years ago + when I built the shed. Only thing now is I very rarely use it and I think now down under here in Australia we are really not allowed to have/use them anymore but I still do from time to time. Not allowed to have any electrical permanently wired as well so I run cables etc from existing power points. The reason being is any fumes from fuel/exhaust can form a layer in there and hang around causing major problems in case of sparks etc.

Mtw fdu.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  10. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Smokin' deal, I woulda bought 'em too, even though I'm sure both my hot rods are too low to get up the ramps.

11. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

I bet they would make it, the removable ramps are over 8 feet long alone.

I am setting it up on the "non work" side of the garage. When I need them, I will back the car in "storage" off, and pull one on. I need to clean up first, and set them up. Once inside, I will post pics.

On a plus side, I can store parts and whatever under them. pain when I need them I know.

WOOSTER, I get what you mean, they are adjustable width-wise. Once lined up, I an adjust, then pull up.

To all others. They ARE tied together in 2 places, adding a third. I may put inserts in the floor to bolt one side down and adjust width with the other.

12. RatPin

RatPin

That would be a nice item to have. I could see dragging it outside to do some good undercarriage cleaning too.

13. wade57

wade57
    from BC Canada

Is it made out of angle iron? Can you take some close up shots? That's a good idea

14. Another option would be to bolt the feet to your shop floor . Cool purchase though for sure .

15. There use to be a lot of those around this area years ago,gas stations,new car dealers & used car dealers,,always saw them on the corner of the lots. HRP

16. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

I believe this one is not meant to be used for working on cars. I believe it's like you said, a display platform for a car dealer. Not sure I'd be comfortable spending much time under there. Not a lot of steel there... be careful!

17. Ditto the display

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

As safe as that might be, it looks like some more cross bracing needs to be added. Something, just doesn't look right.

19. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

Yes, it was for display at a dealer. Never heard of kids knocking them off though. I believe once the extra side to side brace is on, one side bolted to the floor it should be pretty safe.

Here are some pics Wade57...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. fsae0607

fsae0607

Looks well designed! I would probably add grating along the whole ramp. Every time the tires go over a section of angle iron, it shock loads the structure.

21. chaddilac

chaddilac

You would think they would've put the angle for the tires to role on... on top and inside those pieces.... would be much more stronger.

22. fsae0607

fsae0607

Agreed... that's the only flaw I see with those ramps.

23. Dan1950

Dan1950

24. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That thing looks real scary to me. Plus, it's Harbor Freight.

25. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

The wheels should really be over the triangulated sections at the ends unless you add posts in the middle of the spans

26. Dan1950

Dan1950

A buddy of mine has one and it's surprising how sturdy the thing is. There's a bit of rocking (the car not hoist) front to rear but nothing side to side. About the same amount of vehicle rocking as my 10,000Lb Rotary hoist here at the shop.
    And no I wouldn't buy one for everyday use but for the weekend worrier it would work quite well.

Dan.

27. stimpy

stimpy

before you use them get some rollcage padding or pipe insulation for the cross pipes . wack your knoggin once and you will be saying I should have listened .

28. stimpy

stimpy

we use them all the time . pretty sturdy as long as you do not exceed the weight rating .

29. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Perhaps I was a little hasty. The Harbor Freight lift has great reviews after a second look. I would probably try to figure a way to put some loops over the stationary cross piece and bolt them to the floor.