Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Looking for some bumper options

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by choptruck, Oct 7, 2013.

1. choptruck

choptruck

I am looking for a different front bumper for the 46 and I am having trouble deciding what would look right. I was hoping to get some input from some of you with good styling sense. Any help is appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. brad chevy

brad chevy

If you can"t find one take the gaudy looking bumper guards off and it will change the whole look. Really would look better with a smaller bumper though.

3. Hemi j

Hemi j
    from Colorado

Look at 56 pontiac

4. Torchie

Torchie

I am partial to the rippled 49 Plymouth bumpers. With no guards.

5. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Man I think that bumper really looks good.
    Bumper guards look nice too, common on the customs in the 40s and early 50s.

It fits the car nicely, and flows well.
    The 'rib' along the top is a cool touch too.

6. Rob68

Rob68

I like it too. Flip it upsidown with the rib a the bottom and no bumper guards.

7. papajohn

papajohn

Dagmars. 56 Caddy maybe?

8. ne'erdowell

ne'erdowell

It would depend what period look you are after. I tend to like late 40s-early 50s and think the bumpers you have with the guards look good. Cool car.

9. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

yep, Dagmars, tucked in close to the body.

10. jkski

jkski

x2,filp top bar on bottom no brakets.clean smooth look."less is more"

11. Remove the bumper guards,flip the bumpers and it will change the look a lot. HRP

12. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Remove the guards first, it's free. 49 or 50 Dodge or Plymouth might look alright. Similar to what your stock ones kinda.

13. If you are going for a late 40's early '50's look I say leave it alone. I think part of the problem is you have all one tone on the front of that car seeing as you have no paint and the chrome on the bumper is kind of dull so everything just kind of blends in. Get what you have rechromed, paint your car and I think it will look great.

14. Flip it and/or cut the little bump off.
    Take an inch or two out of the center and fit it nice to the body-probably move it back some too. the rear one sticks out like a big scoop and I'd imagine the front is the same. Maybe take 3" out of it. Lol

I like the bumper guards but I think I'd like them further apart or closer together -it's kinda busy with the grill.

This should give you an idea of what it will look like flipped and closer guards even though its a rear

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  15. 48 stylemaster

48 stylemaster
    from Canada

I have a front and back bumper from a 56 chevy truck that I am considering putting on my 48 stylemaster I held them up to the car and should look pretty good. They wrap a little further around the car too

16. Rot 'n Kustom

Rot 'n Kustom

Post a head-on shot on the Photoshop thread and ask for some suggestions there.

17. It's not a bad looking bumper, I'd either just take the bumper guards off...

[​IMG]

...or shave it and flip it...

[​IMG]

18. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Is that grill real or a Photoshop?
    I like it - it fits the car well.
    I like how it continues the hood line down and around the grill.
    If it is real, what is it, how did you make it?

19. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I have a friend who has 2 1949 Plymouth ribbed bumpers if you decide to go that route.

20. choptruck

choptruck

Thanks for the input. The grill I made out of 3/16 rod. I like the guards personally but they are trashed, and the bumper is three pieces. The two ends overlap the middle section right where the guards are so making it a smooth blade means to cut about 1/4" out of the center of the outers to bring it down to the middle size. Or add to the middle but I wanted a thinner blade anyway. The bumpers are both too large in my opinion. They look industrial to me. Thanks for the photoshop!

21. jazz1

jazz1

You need some artists renderings before taking the plunge. I'd want dagmars on it. I bought a 32 ford bumper for my truck and when I hung it looked like crap, too short,so I ended up with a $40.00 piece of garage art.

22. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Hope you don't go with a big old 50s bumper with dagmars. Too gimmicky for this clean looking custom.

46-8 chevy car bumpers are nice and simple and flow nicely.

I used bumper guards, but it is a one piece bumper so removing them is no big deal.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1381598835.652895.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We Robs think alike, I'd try that and stand back and take a look, I think it will smooth it out quite a bit along with maybe a license plate guard for a 49 Chevy.