Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1940's? Hot Rod footage from California

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by orbitrob, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

No earlier than Jul. 46.

Attached Files:

2. JThur01

JThur01

D'oh...correct. I was going solely by the cars and OTTOMH (actually, the cars look more like pre-WWII roadsters from Nor Cal).

Tom Motter's Oakland Stadium book mentions roadsters being run as exhibition races as early as September of 1946 with weekly racing in 1947 sanctioned by NCRRA (Northern California Roadster Racing Association) races. So, Ruttman, Rathmann, Ayulo, McGrath aren't likely. Unfortunately, as good as Tom Motter's book is, no results, so it might be difficult to pinpoint the exact date.

3. Thanks I love these old films

4. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

I liked the hay bales wired to the light poles...

5. orbitrob

orbitrob
    from Toronto

haha. sir mix-a-lots "big butts" could probably smoooooth out any kind of footage, however i went with something closer to the period. Arthur Smith's "Guitar Boogie" from 1945. (your suggestion to check out Billboard charts from the 1940s was a great idea). I've started a new thread with the HD version of the footage. thanks! Rob. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=846788

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  6. toml24

toml24

I'm nearly 100% sure the track IS Oakland and NOT Bonelli stadium (Saugus Speedway). From day one Bonelli always had low grandstands surrounding most of the track and we don't see this in the movie.

7. lostmind

lostmind

Thanks for the post. Looks like there was a shortage of spectators on the back straight away.

8. orbitrob

orbitrob
    from Toronto

and in other Oakland Stadium related news. Found this cool, old race program for sale on Ebay:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

cool video. Oakland was the first thing I thought when I saw the hills in the background. the area became a mall in the 70's and now is empty with an odd array of businesses and a police department.

10. luke13

luke13

what are those crazy 3 wheeled pointy trike things at 2:00, look like some kinda belly tank?

11. R&C RON

R&C RON

Definitely Oakland Stadium , the background hills and the high banked wall give it away! Also the Cabins at the beginning were located on East 14th street across from the track.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]