Register now to get rid of these ads!

so why is everything getting closed down in the "traditional styled" forum?

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by drptop70ss, Oct 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Ok maybe I am wrong here but I thought the traditionally styled forum was for traditional looking cars with upgraded out of sight parts? I see a lot of posts regarding upgraded suspension clips and such getting closed. If that forum is going to be hardcore traditional then why the forum splitting? Lots of good information is getting lost.
    I posted a question on a jag suspension upgrade, got deleted, funny but the HAMB is where I learned about the swap and how it works as a great upgrade.
    Am I missing something?

2. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It's still a traditional forum... We don't wanna cover too many front clips or things like that.

3. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

OK then I guess I dont know what the difference is between the traditional and traditional styled forums? I figured the styled forum allowed upgrades of parts post 1965 and the pure traditional was everything 1965 or older. Not true?

4. xwing01

xwing01

I wondered the same thing, had my post deleted. It was related to an IFS on my 30 sedan, but reading Ryan's response, makes the deleting of my post make sense now.

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The place is still settling.

6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

The "traditional" forums are for period cars. The "styled and stock" forum are for cars that have a few modern appointments such as t-5 trannies, disc brakes, etc... But that still have a traditional style to them. He'll we are even letting bagged cars in there. However, things like IFS and EFI and big wheels are just too far out of the scope. Gotta draw a line.

7. xwing01

xwing01

Touche, I do appreciate the clarification Ryan. Just like that I've elected to go with a drop axle/reverse eye spring :) I'll scrap the 22's while I'm at it, but seriously thank you for drawing the line, it's what makes this site what it is... you're aware.

8. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Thats too bad, guess none of my cars will fit in then. I would think that if brake upgrades were allowed suspension would be too. Bags OK but IFS not? I hope you reconsider, bags seem much more extreme than upgrading to IFS which has been around since well before 1965. All hidden underneath and still look traditional on the outside.
    And I know dogfight exists, been there and it is too much of a free for all for me.

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Sorry man. If anything, we are going to get even more focused... Not less...

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Ryan, there's a thread on rear view cameras. I think it's easy to see why the focus is confusing.

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Where? Can you report it please? Im not seeing it.

12. 1955IHC

1955IHC

And a '66 Vette Gasser.

Sent via Illinois Bell Telephone Company's Car Radiotelephone

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I like the 66... Even though it's a year past our cut off. It's my joint, so I get to make calls like that. :)

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The camera thread just 15 minutes ago got deleted, but it went for a couple pages. I know it's hard to stay on top all the time, but it's moments like that, that can cause confusion.

I'll just hit the "report" button from now on.

15. 1955IHC

1955IHC

That's logic that can't be argued with.:cool:

Sent via Illinois Bell Telephone Company's Car Radiotelephone

16. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Its always been that way here … if a vehicle has a holdover body style that cross’s the line of evilness it gets to stay

17. Mark R.

Mark R.
    from Canada

There was a fifteen page thread on a member building a rather radical early Econoline that seems to have disappeared as well ....

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=749847&page=1

Building one myself, I was watching this build rather closely. Based on the year cut-off date for this forum, and the body style extension, I don't understand why it is gone. (?)

Mark.

Bruce Weese likes this.
  18. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I think sometimes people are confusing pre 65 with traditional. Pre 65 just means it is old, not necessarily traditional in any sense of the H.A.M.B.

19. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

Perhaps some additional clarification of the site's mission statement would help. The longer I read the board, the more I think that it's really focused on cars that were modified between the end of World War II and the beginning of the Vietnam War, by people of average means.

It seems like anything that was not modified in that time frame gets deleted. Cars from before that time frame are okay, as long as they were modified in that time frame. Cars from that time frame that were not modified in that time frame are on the edge of getting deleted. Cars from that time frame that were modified by people with money are also on the edge of getting deleted.

Would this be a correct understanding?

20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

21. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Cant a car with hidden IFS or a clip job be tradiotionally styled? There are chopped and lowered cars all over the board with clip jobs, cant see it once the body is over it. Also cant bag a car without IFS :)

22. daddio211

daddio211

Bagged cars are cool, but traditional they ain't.

I'm really bummed that the Camaro clip thread was closed because there was a LOT of good info on it, but I understand why. Camaros aren't traditional hot rod material.

23. 2racer

2racer

x2....

24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yes, a hidden IFS can be traditionally styled... And there are plenty of clipped cars on the HAMB. However, we won't be covering the tech side of that stuff any longer.

Roots. And getting back to them.

BTW, it's nothing against clipped cars or the people that build them. My own '38 used to have a MII under it.

25. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

Ok, that helps to clarify. The threads to which you linked specifically avoided a verbal definition, and used pictures instead. The problem with the pictures is that you can't see what kind of mechanicals are used on a full-bodied car. I suppose you could infer what sort of parts might have been used by analyzing the quality of the picture, guessing the date it was taken, and comparing that to your accrued knowledge about what parts were commonly available in junkyards and speed catalogs at that time ... but that introduces a lot of subjectivity.

In other words, if the pictures are the only definition of what belongs in each forum, then I expect to see a constant trickle of annoyed posters saying, "My car looks like that! Why way my thread deleted!?"

26. sigfurniture

sigfurniture

yikes...this scares me ! Ryan you´re the boss and I´m a newby so all is cool but I´m only able to do the car that I´m starting thanks to the input on this forum, and the great help put forward. also bear in mind that in europe its pretty impossible to be traditionally american,. both for parts and cultural knowledge.

my reading of english traditional hotrods is a load of ford populars with rover v8´s and jag 9 inch axles.!:rolleyes:

I know I could try and find another forum..but this IS the best one.

can there not be some kind of middle ground?..I don´t know for me its about the traditional way of solving the problem of making your car go faster and look cooler with whats at hand.

yours hopefully sig:)

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

It's too tough to draw a line, right? And at the end of the day, this is a traditional forum... So that's what we will focus on.

I think of it like this... I like to drive old cars. I like the way old cars feel - the mechanics of them. And things like front-end clips ruin so much of that and just numb a car so badly... I know, because I built a car with a mustang II.

Point being, at some point an old car stops being an old car. I don't want to cover those cars here. Nothing at all against them, it's just not what I want to focus on.

28. Sacrilege :eek: :D HRP

As Alfred E. Newman was fond of saying,,"Why Worry?"

I for one have had a lot of threads deleted in the last 10 years of membership,let it go and refocus. HRP

29. Cruiser

Cruiser

Seems we have two schools of thinking here, period traditional in Ryan's mind and modern traditional in others. There is a place for both styles and one isn't any more right then the other one. What we need is for someone to step up and start a forum for the modern style custom. For those who want to be stuck in the past so be it and those who want to move forward learning from the past the skies the limit.

Good luck to both camps. This custom guy chooses to have one foot in the past and the other soundly in the future. :D

CRUISER :cool:

30. F&J

F&J

this thread explains a lot to us viewers IMO. I hope it stays up top on occasion, while the other new changes are being made.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.