Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Yet another F1 build starting up!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drptop70ss, Sep 25, 2013.

1. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

I am going to put the brake booster on the firewall so I dont need the crossmember other than for strength. I can make a new trans crossmember but since it will be further back does anyone have pics of what they did with the original? Remove it completely or make a smaller piece to tie the frame sides back together?

2. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

For future reference, this is the original height of the front frame rails with no engine installed. I am hoping for at least a 4" drop with the jag front end installed.

[​IMG]

Lots of rivets removed, down to a clean stub.

[​IMG]

3. 2racer

2racer

if you remove the crossmember and don't beef up the frame with some bracing or another crossmember the frame rails twist alot, you can see this clearly if you stand on the running boards

4. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

How are you going to mount the jag frontend? Solid mount it or run the stock rubber mounts with fabricated brackets? Take lots of pics! I'm going to be doing the same swap soon.
    Kevin

5. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Front suspension has arrived! 1986 jaguar XJ6.

[​IMG]

6. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Started mocking up the front suspension today, but it looks like jag stuff is no longer welcome here so I will have to skip the installation details. See it all here, I am now posting it over here http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1271961-1951-ford-f1-resurrection.html
    I plan on posting up lots of pics of the install with actual measurements since as popular as the swap is I have not yet found a good step by step install. I am welding in the front crossmember.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  7. bossman47

bossman47

I took out 5 on mine and it rides great. However, It does change the shock angle quite a bit.

8. tlaw52

tlaw52
    from ohio

they ride pretty rough. i took out about four leafs and that seemed to help.

9. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Will have to see how many leafs to remove if any, I think if it rides rough I will just swap out the leafs and hangers. I want to use the truck as a truck so I do want some load carrying capacity. I need to drop the rear maybe 6" so looks like I will be doing the axle flip and go from there.

Anywho the jag front end is in, finally got a couple hours in the garage today to install it. With the truck level the frame has dropped 4" from before and should come down 3" more at ride height. Will be boxing the front rails next, templates being made now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  10. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Front rails boxed, as usual done with my "use what ya got" method. Found some frame rail cutoffs that I think were from a 55 packard, good steel for the plates.

[​IMG]

pattern

[​IMG]

plasmoidal

[​IMG]

tacked and welded, both sides now done. Should be plenty strong.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

You've inspired me to start the hunt for a jag front end! Keep it up, it's going to be awesome!

Kevin

12. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Finally back on the truck. Bed stripped down and removed so I could get started on the rear suspension

[​IMG]

Torn down to check the bushing play, there is a lot of obvious slop. How do you get the springs out of the shackles? I removed the cross bolts but are these spanner nuts on the outside of the pins? If so is there special tool to get them out?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

OK found an exploded view of the rear suspension and found that those are just machined slots in the end of the spring pin, not sure why they are there but they are. Time to get the rear suspension apart.

14. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Time for engine and trans mounts! Engine was set in place on wood blocks at a 3 degree down angle and centered to check firewall clearance.

[​IMG]

Floor opened up slightly for the T56 6 speed

[​IMG]

With the crank center line set close to the original flathead position there is a ton of clearance around the jag rack and crossmember.

[​IMG]

Trans crossmember will have to be moved, not going to work here.

[​IMG]

15. 31ster

31ster

if you cut the crossmember off near the rails you can get decent money for it so someone can put it in an av8.

16. good luck on your build. i have had mine on the road a little over two years and really enjoy it .

17. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Thanks, I am looking forward to driving it!
    As far as the crossmember I have been told it was worth some money, but too late I already modified it!

Engine mounts..started making patterns for pieces to make a mount that will bolt to the jaguar mouting pads. I normally use a solid mount on the drivers side to keep the engine from moving.

[​IMG]

Pieces cut

[​IMG]

tacked in place

[​IMG]

boxed and finished

[​IMG]

18. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

pass side done the same way but with a rubber engine mount

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Looks good! Nice thing about F.I. is you can have engine at any angle you want since angle doesn't effect the fuel system.

20. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Thanks, true on the angle, I always try for the usual 3 degrees down when I can.

Factory trans crossmember removed

[​IMG]

Modified for duals to pass through it

[​IMG]

Tab for the trans mount made and welded on

[​IMG]

Installed

[​IMG]

And got the 3 degrees :)

[​IMG]

Rear suspension work will be next.

21. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Rear suspension took me awhile, mostly because I couldnt make up my mind on how low to go!

Took the rear springs out and the bushings were shot, about the same money to upgrade to newer so decided to go that way. Longer springs, smoother ride, axle on top so easy to adjust with blocks, etc..so I got a set of rear leaf springs and mounts from a 2000 dodge dakota. Found a pair that were newer replacements, still had the part numbers on them.

[​IMG]

Mounted the front spring mounts by lining up the front upper dakota hole with the upper front hole for the rearmost running board mount. Obviously I already removed the mount in the picture :) It will be relocated forward. Details below in case anyone does the same, rear axle should be very close to the original position.

[​IMG]

As for the rear, I couldnt make up my mind. Initially I flipped the rear shackles which put the truck level and nice and low, but I was concerned it would go too low once the bed and the rest of the truck was assembled. It was the perfect place for final ride height but not with no weight on the chassis.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

So continuing the rear suspension, I flipped the shackles the opposite way and mounted them which raised the rear of the truck 3". This way once all the weight is on I can add blocks as needed to get back to where I was originally. I used a couple factory holes, drilled one new one, and one I will make mount to the rear crossmember of the bed. The one new hole is done now but wasnt in these early pictures. Factory hole actually lines up with the spring mount bolt so it can be taken apart if needed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rear axle is a 2nd generation camaro (70-81) 3:23 posi. Looks to be the perfect width around 61" WMS to WMS.

[​IMG]

Just over 6" clearance to the frame as is, will be down 3" more when finished. I made patterns for a small C notch if needed, I am going to see if I can get away with not putting it in.

23. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Thanks, the Dakota springs seemed to be the best choice for what I could find in the bone yard near me. Your frame looks a lot longer than mine, is that a 3/4 ton truck?

24. nope, it's a 1/2 ton

25. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Is that truck done? Curious on the ride height in the rear.

Made my front shock mounts for the jag, almost done with the rough chassis work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. ... that truck is still in the project mode,...this was aprox ride heigth without a bed floor or gas tank; I'd probly hope to get it to sit like this WITH all the weight on it in the end.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  27. Sanford&Son

Sanford&Son
    from Visalia,Ca

Nice start! keep us posted on the build.....

28. like the shock mounts!

29. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Thanks, 2nd mount installed today, now on to other items.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

Gas tank work started, decided to go with a rear mount tank. Found this one for sale cheap, 1995 chevy van 22 gallon unit, dimensions showed it should work well.

[​IMG]

Had to relocate the rear crossmember to the back, tacked a brace across the top to hold the frame from twisting and knocked out the rivets.

[​IMG]

Bottom of the frame opened up about 1/4", used a cable ratchet to close it back up

[​IMG]

Welded in place
    [​IMG]