Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hey hello!

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Styleliner, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Styleliner

Styleliner

My old 4 door chev styleline is a pile and not really worth a restoration but it is a worthy rat project. Something I thought I could handle would be to lose the back half of the 4 door , chop the top of the front half and build a cool truck bed on the back half of the frame.... I have seen one pic only on line (and lots of camper conversions) I feel like I could pull this off with a good look. If anyone has access to pics of 49-52 Chevies converted to trucks or flatbeds, please direct me to them or post.... My name is Rick and I've been to your site often for info and enjoyment. Thanks.

2. Look up the term "ute", specific to Australia etc...

3. Styleliner

Styleliner

Wow.... Yeah, lots of 49 Chevy utes... Thanks for that. My plan was to not have such a slope on the rear window (more of a straight backed 50s Chevy truck look) as the ute. And since I am doing away with the entire back half of the car I intend to do a step side box bed like you might see on some rats. I need to also get a hold of an s10 axle for the 350 I'm putting in. And don't know if I need to fab up a custom driveshaft or not since I'm still researching what 4 speed transmission will fit with the least hassle.... I have already junked the original 216 and scrapped all the 3 on the tree linkage. I do know ill have to get rid of the original emergency brake mounts and all, and cut away the firewall supports.... Worried about steering gear clearance... Lots to do. Also need a driver side door... It's a mess.

4. Styleliner

Styleliner

[​IMG]

Here is the bed and back style I'm looking for.

5. Styleliner

Styleliner

[​IMG] here is the Australian 49 ute and I don't like the sloping back window or the continuation of the body lines on bedsides. It would be impossible to pull this custom off with my limited body working skill anyway.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  6. Styleliner

Styleliner

Here in walla walla where I live there are tons of old trucks and truck beds laying around the wheatfields... I made my first cuts on the styleline today. Had a few beers first to get my courage up and my wife and kids now think I've gone nuts. If anyone is in need of parts from the back doors to the bumpers let me know, although shipping is pricey I know. It's a 1949 4 door. Will post pics soon.

Attached Files:

7. Styleliner

Styleliner

Rear view.... I'm in it now.im leaving 4 inches behind the front door to my back of cab yet to be designed... I think it looks tacky to put the back right up against the door ends... Looks cheap. This means I'm going to have to fab a curved back and cut out a window hole. Another good reason for leaving 4 inches is room for the seat.... But most important the posts and roof braces are there. As it is I think I will need to shorten the steering column anyway so the steering wheel isn't up against my yap. Legroom will be ok.

But first I need to remove the ass end of this thing, then chop the top 3 inches.... Should be a whole lot easier than chopping a 4 door now. But even before all that ... I need to weld 4 inches of rear doors to the post and floor so I can maintain the body lines to the back of cab.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  8. 53fordcustom

53fordcustom

Not much love for the "R" word on this site

9. Styleliner

Styleliner

I had a 29 page thread on this build but it was deleted by mods... Did not fit in. All i can say is that im about 80% finished... Got the v8 and auto trans in... Welded in a backside from a 1940 chevy truck.

Last week I was banned for trying to add a little humor to the negativity here...

Reason..."wasting my time".

So long. Thanks to everyone who chipped in advice , knowledge, and followed the project.

Attached Files:

10. Styleliner

Styleliner

Unfortunately not HAMB approved... Ah well.

Attached Files:

11. xwing01

xwing01

Your profile, show's grenade inspector... not Banned.

12. Styleliner

Styleliner

Been lifted off banishment, only to find my build thread of 5 months deleted.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  13. xwing01

xwing01

every day brings a new challenge right?

14. Styleliner

Styleliner

No big.
    Just that it was a long thread filled with info i would have liked to get back to for tech advice.