Register now to get rid of these ads!

Day of the Drags - Pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JMel, Oct 8, 2013.

1. JMel

JMel

Went to my first Day of the Drags event last weekend. Been invited by some friends over the past 2 years and something has always come up to where I couldn't go. Finally made it this year and can't believe I've missed it in previous years. Had a blast, and don't think I'll miss it again.

Took the '51 down and slept in the car Friday night. Seems like a good tradition for this event in the future. Although my '27 needs to be ran down the track next year.

A few pics...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

[​IMG]

This picture is COOOL!!!

3. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Great shots. Thanks for snagging them.

4. JMel

JMel

NashRodMan - I made many attempts trying to get that picture....I had it pictured in my head, but took sitting at the staging lane trying it on car after car after car. But the color/wheel/tire marking combos never really worked. I finally got it on this car - the blue with the red wheel, and really fat white lettered hoosiers to get feeling of the spinning wheel set it off perfectly.

My only regret is that I didn't frame it tighter. I kept it loose in the viewfinder knowing that there will be movement in the car and it would be easier to pan with the car to keep it as sharp as possible while still capturing the movement in the tire. Due to keeping it loose, it forced me to crop tighter than I like which will keep my print size limited. I need to play with it and see how big it can go - this is my prize from the event. Knew I had something special as soon as I saw it and couldn't wait to get home to process the image. The final image exceeded what i had envisioned in my head when I was trying to capture it.

5. I like this Anglia!

Attached Files:

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

7. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

JM,

You said, "My only regret is that I didn't frame it tighter."

But I think you NAILED it! :)
    NRM

8. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Nice pics thanks for posting them.

9. Thanks for the action shots! Got any more?

10. JMel

JMel

Thanks for the comments. Took a lot more, just haven't had a chance to process them yet. Also got some video. Met a couple of cool guys who let me put my camera in their car for a pass. Don't have a go-pro and the camera can't handle vibrations real well so there is distortion, but I'll post them this weekend.

Skot Ingram even let me put on his flathead dragster. But the speed and vibration made for a crappy video. I'll post that as well.

Might be time to invest in a go-pro.

11. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Very nice photo work of some really cool looking rides.

Sounds crazy but I could look at the those big chrome bumpers all day long.

For guys learning pinstripping and lettering and trying to figure out who to make your lettering appear to be chrome just keeping looking at the big chrome bumper and then you will realize that you start out with white and just keeping adding different shades of grey's and black and with a great deal of practice you just might have something.

Jimbo

12. texas56

texas56

Very nice shots!

13. Vibrations?....what from that ol Flathead powered car:rolleyes:....I'm gonna be interested in seeing "whatever" you got, when you get the chance....ps, glad that you didn't walk away after first asking me, and you got to put it on there....cause I flat out "smoked" the trans on that last run:eek:....what a sickness this is.....hahaha

14. Thats a great shot of my club brothers car, his name is Jon Shine, he also tagged the wall a run later at 100+ mph when the Speedway steering wheel disco failed and the wheel came off in his hands.

15. Danny G

Danny G

Yes he did and I was in the other lane and didn't know what happened until the wreck was cleared up.

16. great pics and thanks for posting those....but now I confussed - there were alot of Stude's - it looks - running.....how'd the old blue 40 coupe do ? ....4 speed car last I saw it run....

17. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

:eek:Wow that's some scary shit too happen,especially at the track going all out.Hopefully he was allright.

18. JMel

JMel

Thanks for all the comments.

Skot, Thanks again for letting me mount the camera. I have only watched it through the preview screen - looks like a hell of a ride. Anxious to get it on a real monitor. My computer at home can't handle the file size of a full HD video. I'll be bringing my work laptop home this weekend and will pull it out and post it then.

The problem with the camera I used is that heavy vibrations cause a distortion in the video. It creates a wave or a zig-zag pattern in the video. Also looks like you exceeded the speed limit of my mount - The camera angle shifted up a bit - probably around 120mph. :)

Thanks again for the ride, man. I'll give you a link as soon as I get it up. Will even send you a disk or the file if you'd like.

19. JMel

JMel

Another one...

[​IMG]