Register now to get rid of these ads!

Older guys....ever scrap any old tin you now look back on with regret?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loggy, Apr 1, 2008.

1. I hate to scrap anything, I sent a old rusted out 50 Chevy parts car hulk to the scraper because I thought I had gotten everything possibly usable off of it, a couple of months later, dang, I thought of a few other parts a could have salvaged.

Cooter

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I bought a model A panel truck for 75 bucks. Very solid but the wood in the back needed replacement because the fabric top got torn. I was 19 or so and it was too much for my talents at that time. Nobody made wood kits then especially for a panel truck. I found a 38 Chevy coupe that had spent a short time as a gasser for 250. It was cherry as hell with a decent black paint job and orange naugahyde interior. All it needed was an engine and trans. 1 car per person in the club garage so the Model A had to go I parted out the frame and drive train to a restorer and scraped the rest of the body.

I feel guilty to this day but ya do what ya gotta do.

3. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

I sent this to the shredder a few years back.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. Hey, did the same. We had to use dirty paint thinner as we couldn't get gas, fire out the carb and exhaust!! Engine finally seized up. that was back in 1951-52. Sure was fun for a 12yr old kid.

5. jagfxr1949

jagfxr1949

Oh hell yes. Lots of old Studebekrs bit the bullet. 5 or 6 pre war as well as a '30 whippet. Sent 2 M-5 pick-up to their maker along the way and even a few old Jaguars, Mg's and such. When they were basically free at the time it was hard to see a future value.

6. The '50 Starlight coupe I learned to drive in sat on top of the scrap heap at the junkyard in Burien for years after I took it over there. The motor mount was busted and there were a couple of other odds and ends wrong but it still ran. But I had the hots for a '55 Dodge and need the $. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

7. This is an old thread but made me think of the 55 Crown Victoria my brother had: Black and white, V8, automatic, power windows and seat, duals. He sold it in the 60's to a local kid who rebuilt the motor and junked the car. Seems like it should have been the other way around! I still have the title for it.

8. Dobie Gillis

Dobie Gillis

Not scrapped but sold:

1960 Frog Eyed Sprite

1963 Nova 2 dr hardtop

1964 VW Beetle

1956 Chevy 210 post 2 dr

1957 Stude Golden Hawk

1963 MGB

1970 Datsun 510 2 dr

If I could have any of 'em back it would be the Stude...

9. 64sshemi

64sshemi
    from weare n.h.

I bought my first car when I was 13 or 14 Y.O. For the sole purpose of racing my buddie around the fields and woods at his parents farm.
    It was a 39 Deluxe Ford coupe in excellant cond. The first thing we did to it was cut the fenders off with an axe so it would be more of a hot rod!!
    I proceded to abuse the poor thing for a few weeks until it broke an axel keyway and I sold it for five bucks!!:mad:

10. I scrapped out a 1959 Simca- really regret that- Not so much-

11. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Back in the late sixties I bought a rolling Austin Healy 3000 that formerly had a Buick race motor in it...had a roll bar and narrow Olds rear. A hundred bucks. Took the rear end out, and a couple of friends helped me put it in the back of my pickup, now with no wheels at all. Drove to a fancy dan cul de sac in Briarcliff Manor NY, in front of a really expensive Tudor mansion, back up fast and hit the brakes...Don't think it's still there. Car would be worth thousands now, and I have the perfect motor for it. Oh well.

12. Since the thread has been drug back from the dead I helped a fellow club members dad load up the remains of a what was a nice rust free 37 Lincoln 4 door because noone wanted it.

He took a sawsall and cut the body up and we loaded it all in a utility trailer and the back of his truck.

Thinking back what a waste. HRP

13. studedudeus

studedudeus

When I was in college, my parents moved. So I had to dispose of my parts stash; '62 Chev station wagon (complete, less motor), a 56 chev wagon (gutted body, stripped frame) and a '34 cabriolet body (no rust, but had been cut apart at the seams by somebody). The 34 body was folded up and stuffed into the 62. Two virgin 8BA flatheads were stuffed in the 56, and the whole she-bang went to the city dump.

Didn't have the resources or skills, at the time, to do anything with them. I could use them now, though.

14. Paint

Paint

In about 1965 or 66 my brother scrapped a 57 Chevy 2 door hardtop and put the drivetrain in his 39 Chevy.
    In 1973 a friend and I scrapped a 65 Mustang fastback and put the drivetrain in a 62 Falcon.

15. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

In the 70's a friend built a 34 Plymouth coupe. The project came with an extra 34 coupe body he didn't want, so we took it down a long dirt road and left it in the bushes. Must have been others doing the same thing....I remember seeing a 39 Ford coupe body and a 50 Chevy sedan delivery sitting in "out of the way" places just waiting to be taken for free. Late 70's I bought a good 32 5 window full fendered for $600, no motor/trans. I was the only one that answered the newspaper ad. Sold it next year for 1500. Then I got into 67-8-9 Camaros and went through a bunch of them. Cut up a 69 SS body with a torch so I could haul it to the dump in a pickup....2 trips. Man, how I wish I could go back in time.:(

16. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

All I can say to that is WOW. sad to hear now but must have been fun.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Oh Geez, What a cute Dunebuggy you have!:D

18. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

I scraped the 64 ford f100 I had after I striped the drive train for my model a. I sold most of it and junked the rest. I kick my self constantly for getting rid if that truck. I loved it

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's not open for discussion, too many guys would cry.

20. Late sixties, I bought a '56 Chevy wagon in pretty good shape, but w/o engine and trans, for $25. I pulled the rear end, rear springs, and wheels, then dumped the rest.

21. bobadame

bobadame

Years ago, late '60s I gave away a 35 Ford pick up, a 47 Ford Coupe and a '39 Packard Ambulance and a 41 Chev pickup, a '53 Merc convertible, a '54 Olds and a '36 Chevy master Deluxe coupe. About that same time frame I threw away a chromed set of cast iron Fenton flat head v-8 headers, a '32 Ford grill shell and a slightly bent dropped model A front axle. Times change.

22. 48stude

48stude

I scrapped a 65 Chevy SS 396 4 speed Impala (minus engine & trans) in the late seventies and a 67 SS 396 4 speed Chevelle (minus engine & trans)in the early eighties
    Dumb ass me, Bill

23. 35desoto

35desoto

Back in the late 70's I bought two cars - the second one was a 1960 Dodge Pioneer - had no motor or box yet one of the best bodies you could ask for. We picked it over for parts for a same year S/W and then cut the body up and took it to the tip. Its was soo straight I knew we had done the wrong thing but we had no where to store it

24. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the only cars I ever sent to the junk yard were a 1973 Buick I took the V6/auto, and tilt wheel out of and scrapped. I recently scrapped a 76 Volvo with 250,000 miles on it because it blew the headgasket.

when I part out old cars there is not enough left to scrap. did a 60 El Camino, a 51 and a 53 Chevrolet. everything that went to the local Mexican scrap guys was rusted junk.

25. I was just in a couple of southern you-pick yards. The stuff headed for the crusher - even though it was all off topic - made me sick. I picked a tilt column out of a '79 Pontiac Phoenix (Chevy Nova) coupe - factory air, too - it had a tree or something fall across the rear, but another deck lid and patches out of a rotty car and you'd be in business, it was still drivable as it sat. Some surface rust and that was it. Was a clean '75 Cutlass coupe in there, too, another one with a tilt wheel.

Another yard had a bunch of big Buicks in it - '72 LeSabre, '73 Centurion, '73 Electra 225 and a '73 convertible. Worst rust was on the ragtop - a couple spots the size of a silver dollar.

Last year the one yard had a '64 Pontiac, a '57 Chevy, and a '66 Dodge Coronet 2dr that while just a shell was again super solid.

Meanwhile, I can't sell anything up here, I'm about ready to scrap a few of mine even though I'll regret it if I do.

26. this is like a hard thread to read up on ...

alot of classic gone and cant be replaced ...

but they are still alive w/ the examples that still running on the roads today by the ones that didnt make it ...

27. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

I called about a CL ad a year or two ago for some "old Ford parts" and the guy said he scrapped a couple of Model As and 35 3 window coupe body along with the rest of the stuff he had behind his barn . Said no one came to look after a week or two so figured there was no value.

Guess his social security check wasn't stretching far enough that month.

28. Make this thread disappear.

29. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

In the mid 60s my dad and a friend chopped up a '55 chevy convertable, in the '80s I scrapped a '57 Chevy 4dr wagon 210 w/ EZ Eye glass, power windows, brakes, steering and more, less engine and tranny, also a '56 Chvey BA 2dr sedan less engine and tranny. Stupid kid!