Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 53 Mercury EAC - $...?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 340HilbornDuster, Oct 8, 2013.

1. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What would you guys value a 255 53 Mercury EAC at?
    Comes with 3 speed column shift box.
    It spins freely, looks solid, Good Oil, ran fine when they took it out...

Distributor on the side..Rear Oil Pump..Low Compression?

Any other pitfalls compared to installing a like a 59A?

Any info appreciated!

Thanks
    T

Attached Files:

• EAC1.jpg
      EAC1.jpg
      File size:
      315.4 KB
      Views:
    • EAC2.jpg
      EAC2.jpg
      File size:
      150.7 KB
      Views:
    • EAC3.jpg
      EAC3.jpg
      File size:
      273.9 KB
      Views:
    • EAC4.jpg
      EAC4.jpg
      File size:
      250.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  2. manyolcars

manyolcars

Value is in the eyes of the beerholder :)
    I drove flathead V8s for several years and wont give a nickle for one. Horrible problems and low power but some young uninformed guy might pay an outrageous price for one.
    Whats it worth if someone gives it to you for free?
    Whats it worth if you sell it for $500?
    Whats it worth if your buyer sells it for $5000?
    Not to be rude but its a dumb question

Flathead Freddie likes this.
  3. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

So I guess that all these hundreds of Flathead powered traditional rods that are discussed on here daily are owned by ignorant youngsters?

Squablow and V8 Bob like this.
  4. louisb

louisb

You might check on the Ford Barn and get better answers.

--louis

5. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

EAC is the last Mercury flathead even though the pictures show that it was installed in a truck (truck water pumps, truck oil pan). Very desirable among flathead guys, some would say it's the most wanted flathead of all because EAB/EAC had the best stock camshaft and the highest HP.

Condition is everything. It could be worthless. Nobody knows until it gets opened up and checked out.

As far as the transmission goes, if it was in a truck the trans not be the best choice for a car depending on the gearing.

6. To me they are all "cores" unless I can hear/see them run or disassemble to inspect. The seller saying it "ran great" means nothing. Been burned too many times......

7. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

EAC heads do not a Merc make. In other words, check the block numbers and verify the stroke through a sparkplug hole.

8. Mad-Lad

Mad-Lad
    from California

Just to give you an idea. I paid 300 bucks for one. I was also told "it was running when I pulled it out".
    It wasn't....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Yeah, running, but how badly? These flatheads will run on 4 cylinders with nearly no compression or oil pressure.

10. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

11. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Interested in what the price comes up to. I have one that purrs like a cat in a 53. Want to put a Lincoln Y in the car with hydro.

12. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Flathead blocks do not have any numbers that can relate to Ford car, truck, or Merc, but even if they did, it would not be any guarantee on whether the crank is factory correct.
    It would be nice if you could check the stroke through a spark plug hole on a flathead, but plugs are located over exhaust valves, not pistons.
    The only way to know for sure the stroke (and some idea of condition) is to pull the heads.

gary macdonald likes this.
  13. k9racer

k9racer

Your big problem is location. shipping to the main land would kill the deal. So not a lot of hot rods on the islands so good luck. I have purchased flat head engines from free to 700 dollars.

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

+1 on that one I have a pair of EAC heads that I picked up for 20.00 at a local swap meet because the seller didn't want to load them back on his trailer.

I paid 400 for a complete known quantity 8BA with clutch and hogshead for the truck trans. I wouldn't pay that for another engine that I didn't pull the heads on first and wouldn't have on this engine but I pretty well knew the engine.

As mentioned by another Hamber they are only cores with core value until you know what you are getting and to add to that ran when parked doesn't mean squat.

15. 19Fordy

19Fordy

$200 unless you can guarantee it has no cracks.

16. jimvette59

jimvette59

I got my EAC for 800.00 Running great low mileage, but I had it freshened up. Bearing,polish crank,lifters,guides,etc,etc,etc, $5000.00.

17. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

How big is his garage? Is he the kinda guy who has plenty of room and holds onto things.........or will it be in his way and he wants to move it?

18. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Edit : Just went back and looked at the O/P's pictures closer. It has a 3 bolt carb, the "blocky" oil filter "tee", and a truck pan as well as the truck pumps. I'd bet big against it being a Mercury.

I paid $400 for one that I knew was a Mercury because I saw a couple of idiots pull it out of the car. I figured the crankshaft alone was worth that. I got real lucky and when I checked it on my run stand, it had good compression and oil pressure. I added a set of finned heads (which allowed me to visually check the block), a Mallory dual point, and a 2GC. It is still running strong after 6 years.

You can usually tell if it's a Merc by the engine color and the presence of a 4 bolt Holley carb in addition to the head markings. I have also found the "tee" fitting on the oil filter has a rounded shape, while those on Fords is "blocky". If you can be sure it's a Merc, it's worth a minimum of $400 because of the crankshaft.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2022
  19. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, it's been over 9 years and no response from the o.p. so.......
    Many Ford flatheads have had the stock heads changed to Mercury over the years, often with the mistaken belief of higher compression. I've purchased more than one "Mercury" engine over the years that was a Ford, including two that were pulled out of Mercurys, with all the correct Mercury "stuff". Ya gotta pull a head or pan to know for sure!

joel likes this.