Register now to get rid of these ads!

Topolino in traditional style

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wood337, Sep 3, 2013.

1. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

34 Gaz, if memory serves correct, that car was done by Limeworks over in L.A. for a customer about three or four years ago.

2. I love the Topolino race cars, but I'm sorry, those without the factory grille are ugly!

3. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

X2

They do look ugly with anything other than a stock grill!

4. Chopped 66 Bug

Chopped 66 Bug

Cool photo. First time I have ever seen what the stock car looked like.

Mike

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Thats not really what they looked like...See post #11

6. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

That is an inspirational photo! Now if I can just hide this Hemi under the hood, it might be fun.

Attached Files:

7. GasserTodd

GasserTodd

John Callies Simca.jpg John Callies Simca 2.jpg Heres the John Callies Simca (Simca used the Topo dies) with 303 Ponty power. Probably the most famous street "Topo" in the early 70s.

Last edited: May 24, 2015
    falcongeorge and MO_JUNK like this.
  8. jtss10

jtss10

same car from Syracuse

Attached Files:

9. wood337

wood337

The pictures Marty posted....the hemi sitting in front of the stock, unsuspecting Topo...priceless

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I am like 99% sure that the "I know nothing" car is a local car here in Phoenix, built by a friend of a friend about town. I do see it ( or an equally evil twin) frequently about town in the winter months.

11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

If you learn anymore about that car, I would like to talk to the builder. I sure like the profile of that one, and have been trying to figure out what to do with mine, one of these days.

12. Limey Steve

Limey Steve
    Alliance Vendor
    from Whittier

We did indeed finish the Fiat 500 for Gil Hasler , now in Arizona , he started it just before the Korean War, flew Sabre Jets during the war 201 missions ! we completed the car about 8 years ago , great little car .

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Will do Marty. I might see the right people to ask about it this weekend. If I can figure it out I'll hook you guys up.

14. Powerage440

Powerage440

Marty,
    Do you remember the Topolino that Marsha Miller used to run back in the day with the 409 Chev in it? Loved that car!
    Don

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey Marty, I haven't forgot your request. I have asked several friends who's car it is, but nobody seems to know. I see it at Cruise on Central here in Phoenix the two times a year that it happens, and the next is next weekend. I will put you two in touch when I do.

16. Topolinos are cool in any form!

17. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hemi will never fit, better just send it to me!

18. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

I've seen this one in person,and is baddass .to make it better a cute lil ladydrives it...!!!

19. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

20. chico'72

chico'72
    from Belgium

Found this one for sale here in Belgium.
    8500 euro
    I think there's a lot of potential in this car...

Attached Files:

21. Bitman

Bitman
    from Eureka, CA

That Topolino used to be my project. I sold it rolling with no motor to a guy in Phoenix. Chassis is round tube with Ford 9", coilovers and struts up front. Crafted by Harry Hoffman Jr. in Hayward, CA. Body is all original steel in stock demensions and was wonderfully put together by Carry Buck in San Mateo, CA.

Attached Files:

22. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Bitman, Thank you for the pics and information, what a well built car. I have been pondering IMG_2846_1.JPG IMG_2849_1.JPG IMG_4965.JPG what front suspension to build/use, struts look like the ticket, along with a full round tube chassis. I was planning on a full roll cage for safety, but not for racing. The "car parts" gods have been good to me lately, I acquired a running 215 Buick with a 4 barrel, and a complete stick setup and a 5 speed came my way. It will be later this year before I can start on mine. Powerage, I do remember the Miller's Topolino. Thanks everybody !!!!!!!!

falcongeorge and loudbang like this.
  23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Funny this should come up today! I'm going out to our once a year get together tomorrow where I am almost guaranteed to see the Topolino. Do you still want to talk to the owner, or has Bitman got you set up?

24. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Chip, I would like to talk to anyone that has had involvement with that car. An I will try to contact Bitman, to thank him personally. Have fun !!!!!

25. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Marty--You could always build something like our old Bonneville Simca. It`s actually being rebuilt in West Linn as we speak. With a Triumph Motorcycle engine, even...

26. Bitman

Bitman
    from Eureka, CA

I sometimes wish I stll had mine. I went over the top in hiring out all the fab work to the best people I could find. Went through a ton of $ and slowly lost interest. Oh well.

Mine was going to be a Ford small block with EFI and 5 speed just to be different. Hanging the pedals was a bitch in that small car. That and fab of front suspension and steering. Used a small circle track rack and pinion. Oil pan had to be shallow and wide with notch and custom pickup. The new owner got to deal with fitting the radiator and fan... You can see it in the last picture. Custom aluminum gas tank which I never quite figured out how to get a fill neck to it. Battery fit in a box behind the seat.

I'll remember more and post later. I have more photos too.

Need Louvers - if you see the car give it a pat on the hood for me. The guy I sold it to is Rick Sypes (sp?). Say hi for me and get contact info if you can. Would love to touch bases.

27. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Bitman, I wonder if it was Rick Sipes the race car driver, if it was Rick, I believe he passed away in 2011. He was one hell of a race driver !!!!!

28. Bitman

Bitman
    from Eureka, CA

Yes. That's Rick. I just read about his passing in another thread. Very sad.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. chrisp

chrisp

No info on this one
    [​IMG]
    From Sweden:

[​IMG]
    From France:
    [​IMG]

loudbang likes this.
  30. fiat gasser

fiat gasser

This Fiat was built and owned by Tom Sobol from Washington state. He had the car for over twenty years. Him and his wife drove it across the country to the east coast and back twice towing the trailer. That's a big undertaking in an 80" wheelbase. Tom recently sold the Fiat to someone in Ohio.[​IMG]

loudbang likes this.