Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Our 1965 Mile round trip to Billetproof in the A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jer11ren, Oct 7, 2013.

1. jer11ren

jer11ren

Before I start, if anyone has reservations about taking their home built rod across the country, just do it! This was one of the best things my wife and I have ever done. The people we met were amazing. First time I have ever heard my bride in 25 years of crazy things and motorcycle trips say "I'm actually excited to go to work so we can make enough money to go on another long rod trip"... 44 Hours in the rod and it fits like a glove, now all of my DD cars seem odd, sometimes I have to just go around the block in the rod when I get home so we can have some "alone time".. Here goes!

We left PHX on Wed Sept 18 with plans of staying in Calabasas. Our only problem of the trip was just as we neared CA the throttle started sticking. Thanks to the non-cable linkage I just kept driving, but at the Ag check station at the line it wouldn't return at all. In retrospect it was fun watching the guys go from thumbs up to running for shelter as we cruised through at 5mph with the clutch in making all kinds of racket. Then we went by California Car covers and met the nicest folks who happened to have a $400 cover that was mis ordered that fit our car. They all made a fit of our car and let us have the cover for almost half price. Nicest people ever, we could still be there talking rods.

Attached Files:

2. jer11ren

jer11ren

After arriving at our room on the west side of town we decided that we should seize the moment and go to Bob's in Downey as we had only been shortly after grand opening, never in the rod, and what were the chances of us being in LA on a Wed again. We arrived a little too late for the action, but had a blast none the less and great food. On the way back to the room we decided to get a few shots in the Hollywood area and with our old girl on Rodeo drive...big time stuff for a couple rednecks from OK with an old home built car.

Attached Files:

3. jer11ren

jer11ren

Up early the next morning going over the car and heading up the Pacific Coastal Highway. Our motel happened to be next door to Harbor Freight, I cuss them so much, but honestly, they had a big part in making the rod so we laughed as we took the pics by their sign. We kept thinking that the employees inside were probably hoping we weren't stopping by to get revenge for all of their broken tools they sold!

Attached Files:

4. Choptop

Choptop

5. jer11ren

jer11ren

The trip up PCH was incredible, so many beautiful places to stop. We took a side trip to the Danish village Solvang, which in my opinion wasn't a good use of time, and ended up stuck in the dark on PCH about an hour out of Carmel... My ranting probably didn't make me a hero in our car at that time, but the bride was happy while we were there. This reminds me, chop top coupes in LA traffic suck, we probably had the most intense moments of our 25 years together during that, just be warned. If you aren't running 80 and can't see the exit signs for the chopped top, it will lead to marital tension. Of course, that marital tension can be relieved by a side trip to Solvang, which will lead to more marital tension when you realize you are stuck on Hwy 1 after dark in a car with no reflectors so you just can't stop on the side of the road and you are missing the most scenic stuff.....but we got over it!

Attached Files:

6. jer11ren

jer11ren

After being stuck on 1 after dark, the bride booked us a hotel online in Carmel. Long story short, they were overbooked and we ended up in Monterey. When we arrived at the place in Monterey we were told that we had our choice of street parking or a public garage 3 blocks away. I noticed a place by the front door and slipped the doorman a 20 to hold it as we went back around one way streets to park. When we got to the spot, the car was covered with homeless folk as soon as we crawled out and he said "I love your car and parking here isn't the best idea, we have decided to open our private basement parking for you, just go around the blocks again and we will meet you on the opposite street". Wow, I thought we really won! As I saw him with the barn doors open he said "I've always wanted to touch a model a like this", well, we turned in and my tiredness at 1am didn't notice the huge ramp to the basement. We high centered and I don't mean a scrape, the rear wheels were teetering 6". Thanks to some drunk college guys that picked up poor miss betty we were free and parked in the public garage down the street. Funny part is, the Mrs. is into ghost stuff and found out that that basement is the most haunted place in Monterey....maybe Miss Betty just didn't want to go there? Next morning was great with some stops along the way! Great memories we have laughed about ever since.

Attached Files:

7. jer11ren

jer11ren

Friday was pretty awesome. We got to drive into San Fran. Ended up in our motel in Antioch. I would not recommend the Ramada. The burnouts, racing around the medians all night, and trash left behind really gives us all rodders a black eye, I was ashamed and embarrassed. Had dinner at Mel's diner and hoped that the motel wasn't an indication of what Billetproof was going to be.

Attached Files:

8. jer11ren

jer11ren

As soon as we headed out for Billetproof we noticed several bitchin cars. The line in was quickly moving and it was an awesome event!

Attached Files:

9. zjerry

zjerry

Looks like a fun time..

10. jer11ren

jer11ren

And then the rain came....... We met a lot of cool folks. One said, "the best part of your car is that HAMB emblem, aren't they the best". We spent most of the day just sitting in the car watching American Graffiti on the IPAD and walking through the chick stuff which was mostly covered. I got a text from one of my PHX street rodder friends that asked if I was going to the Joe Bailon show in Auburn, I honestly didn't know anything about it so I googled and we made new return plans. Was a little bummed that they hadn't mentioned anything about it over the PA since it was a Sunday show that a legend was at and it wasn't competition for Billetproof.

Attached Files:

11. jer11ren

jer11ren

Our GPS sent us some weird way to Auburn, we were met with many drawbridges and country roads. I began to think we were on a wild goose chase, but was enjoying the country towns and sight none the less. After all it is about the drive!

Attached Files:

12. eightbanger

eightbanger

Awesome photos! Looks like it was a kick ass time!

13. norcal rizzo

norcal rizzo

that's what I'm talking about. build it, drive it, and just deal with whatever happens when it happens. great story man, I needed that after a two stop and go drive home.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. jer11ren

jer11ren

The Joe Bailon show was, without a doubt, the best show we have ever been to. I can't count the number of friends we made. I would say there were about 200 cars, but 200 awesome cars. I actually felt like we should pull ours out since it didn't fit in in my mind. Joe Bailon sat on our front tire and judged our car, then sat there for a while almost seeming to daydream. Later, we discovered he had been in an accident in a car like ours so we think it may have been some reminiscing. I wanted a pic of him, but didn't want to break any rules by talking to a judge. He got up and came to us and said "kids, if this is your car, you better not leave". We ended up with a longest distance and a judges choice award!

Attached Files:

15. jer11ren

jer11ren

After the show, we stayed in Modesto. Here are a few cool pics.

Attached Files:

16. great trip. great pics. my wife and i made our first long trip in april to the lone star round up. 2100 miles. we had a blast.

17. madmak95

madmak95

So jelous ..... im building a '30 A to do just what your doing. An long hauler to see the country in. Hope to have it built by spring.

18. Choptop

Choptop

its not a slight to Bailon or his show... there werent a whole lot of announcements to begin with, since I'm the one doing them and I'm pretty busy putting on my own show and then with the coming rain and the issues that was about to cause and did cause, we did really do much pimpin for someone else's show... again... not a slight in any way... only so much bandwidth in my pea brain and getting my show put on fills it all up. :D

glad y'all had a good time!!!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  19. Flootiebuell

Flootiebuell

Great pics and coverage of your trip...I saw your car at Billetproof..super nice! I would have stopped and said hello but I was high tailin it outa there in my roadster in the pouring rain!

20. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Thanks for taking the time to post. It really sounds like a great trip.

And GREAT WIFE!

21. Your woman is cool man, get up and go give her a hug.

22. 1badbaker

1badbaker

Looks like a great time. Great pictures as well.

23. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Sounds like a real cool trip. Glad you had fun.

24. ol55

ol55
    from Virginia

leaving for the west coast now-thanks!

25. Yes sir,I can't hear some of those conversations when things got testy,,been there done that with my better half.

This adventure is something you will talk about for years to come. HRP

26. jer11ren

jer11ren

Thanks for the replys. Chop Top, I feel bad I mentioned that now, I asked around at the hotel about the show also and nobody knew anything about it. We are thinking of surprising my sis at her church car show in OK (her husband is pastor) next year, but we will for sure be back the following years. Our car is proudly wearing 2 Billetproof decals and I'm not a decal kind of guy, but we earned it and your show rocked!

27. Bump Stop

Bump Stop
    BANNED
    from USA

Hot rodders are a bunch of fast-driving rowdies - who knew?

28. jer11ren

jer11ren

Bump Stop, I was fine with 95% of the motel action and was actually wishing I wasn't too beat to go out and mingle. My above statement was probably a little harsh, but I was turned off by the trash left behind. Not just a little, but several 55 gallon drum size mounds of bottles, cans, and various trash. I did end up with a 6 pack extra and no room in the car so I placed it in the back of a HAMB friendly truck when we left Sun morning. Figured a little good karma wouldn't hurt.

29. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Thanks for the post! I need to get busy.....

30. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

I enjoyed reading about your road trip and seeing the pictures. You are lucky to have an understanding wife. Mine breaks my chops at the smallest inconvenience. I can't wait 'til next year, planning to take my '30 coupe from Florida to visit my sister in Mesa.