Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects help with 9" in a 31 A

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ohiolineman, Oct 7, 2013.

1. ohiolineman

ohiolineman

Hey guys, I need some advice from the old timers .im trying to put a 31 five Window coupe together .I have an old 9" out of a 58 f100 .whats a good length of rear axle to make it look good? Thanks for any input or pics.

2. boutlaw

boutlaw

I used a 57 Ranchero 9 inch in my 31 coupe. I beleive the total width is 57 1/4, flange to flange, which fit perfectly under the coupe without shortening. There are quite a few threads here on the HAMB that address diff/axle width that may provide more detailed information. I believe the rearend you have is 61 1/4, which would require shortening of housing and axles to use in your coupe, unless you used wheels with a lot of backspace.

3. ohiolineman

ohiolineman

Thanks boutlaw

ford for life

4. I am guessing you are talking axle flange to axle flange? have any ballpark widths from backing plate to backing plate that would be a close fit for an A frame...

I appreciate it, thanks

5. You're doing it backwards.

You need to mock up your coupe at the planned ride height and with the wheels and tires you intend to use. Then, measure the distance between the wheels' mounting surfaces.

That's how wide your rearend (with brakes) should be.

FWIW, you'll probably get a measurement of about 57.5"-58.5", depending on wheel/tire width.

6. ohiolineman

ohiolineman

Good point gary

ford for life

7. I think 55 or 56" is commonly used on A's, nowadays. But as said, mockup with the actual wheels and tires you plan to use will let you make it just right.

... individual taste matters. Running fenders on an A, I like my outside rear tire tread edge on the edge of the fender bead, just inside. The tires bulge is a bit outside, but the tread is covered. Some folk like the tires fully tucked well under the fender. In the sixties a lot of A's ran with wider rear ends and tire tread sticking outside of the fender.

8. john walker

john walker

whatever maverick rear ends measure, i think 56.5", is perfect on my 30
    roadster with no fenders.

9. ohiolineman

ohiolineman

Thanks guys. The one I got is 57 inches flange to flange I think ill run it. But I will mock it up just to see how it looks as soon as I figure out what wheel and tire combo...

ford for life

10. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

Yes. The lower your car goes the wider the axle you need.

11. Everyone is different, and sees different things while looking at the very same thing.
    To me nothing looks more stupid than too wide of a rear end on a model A and blows the entire car in my opinion.

12. threewindow

threewindow

I use a 57 smooth housing cut down on each side to fit mavrick axles. The axles fit the nine inch third member and the outter bearings fit the 57 housing fine. I end up with a 56 width flange to flange. Uses stock mavrick axels so easy to find if needed.

13. ohiolineman

ohiolineman

Thanks fellas

ford for life