Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need your advice on purchase

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fyzbo, Oct 4, 2013.

1. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Keep looking you'll find a better style car for a better price. Part of hotrodding is the HUNT for the car or the parts. Good luck and Welcome

2. ChefMike

ChefMike

like all have said its to much money, walk away and look for something else I think its only worth 3

3. fyzbo

fyzbo
    from Cary, NC

Thank you all for the great advice, I've decided to pass for all the reasons mentioned here and some more info I learned by questioning the seller. I will keep looking.

I appreciate everyone letting me know that 4-doors are not a style in demand. I already knew this and it does come with some pros and cons. It may save me some money on purchase, but definitely hurt if/when I sell. The biggest issue I find is that most of the 4-doors being offered seem untouched, claiming to be "barn finds" they are typically all original with a seized engine and most likely a fair amount of rust, even if it's out of sight. I'm definitely unqualified to do a full frame off restoration, so I was hoping to find a car that has been worked on, should I hold out until I can find one?

P.S. To those watching out for me (blood in the water), thank you. I have pretty thick skin and if people can't see the value in a reliable, efficient, commuter car that a new grad can afford, it's there loss. Although I prefer some brands over others they all have their benefits.

4. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

Theres a much better deal on the Raleigh CL today. I don't know how to link it on my iPad, but just search 1946 Chevrolet. Pretty nice car for way less money.

5. Bill in Al

Bill in Al

Welcome from Alabama,fyzbo.Most fordors are bought cheaply and rodded on a tight budget.That's what that 'forty appeared to have been.From your description of yourself,I would advise you to keep looking until you find a fairly recently built rod and put a little more cash up front. It'll be cheaper in the long run. Been there and was lucky to get out! Good luck--Bill

6. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

I got a 41 coupe for sale on here. Modern upgrades. Check it out.

7. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

This is a tough hobby for guys with few mechanical skills, after all it's mainly about taking a clunker/junker and making it into something special. It's not about writing a check and driving a cool ride. If you can't fix it yourself, you're going to be spending a fortune at the mercy of some repair shop, and they have no mercy.

My buddy calls it the "hotrod blues" because it sucks when something breaks when you own one of these (and it always does), but then there's the personal satisfaction of fixing it yourself. Kind of like how listening to the blues makes you feel better.

The majority of posts on this board are devoted to problem solving, not people showing off the coolness of their rides. There's a message in that.

8. A wise move to pass on it. I like 4-doors myself, but the ad did not give me a warm and fuzzy especially with the admission of wonky body work up front.

Anything like that you need to have on a lift before you lay your $$ down and take someone who knows cars with you.

I see plenty better cars in the classifieds here.

Bob