Register now to get rid of these ads!

what year 305 chevy is best to rebuild?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gr8shot, Oct 5, 2013.

1. indyjps

indyjps

Get the 305 HO heads, roller cam block, a vortec head will even be better but require some homework. I don't recommend spending much on the 305 or rebuild, think hone the cylinders and rering, if it needs bored just get a different block. A 305 paired with a T5 or a 700 r4 can be a fun ride in a driver, the 700r4 has such a low first gear it makes up for the small cubic inch, A vortec head 350 roller cam block would be cheap and make much more power.

2. Chevyragtop57

Chevyragtop57

I have had both .. I would go the 350 route ! Mike

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If I was going to build a 305 I would build one with a 400 crank and have it internally balanced so that you could still run the small balancer if you wanted to fool someone.
    I think the crank alone in the 305 gives it 90 more FP of torque.

4. slammed

slammed

The OP is asking 305 question's. Not a 'which would you build 305 or 350?' EVERY time a smaller sbc is contemplated for a build/use the '350' crowd has to push that belly button motor.

5. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

Im just gonna repeat what has already been said before...find a 305 HO from a mid late 80s monte carlo or camaro as they are 1) everywhere 2) cheap and 3) dead nuts reliable and will be a fun little motor that gets decent gas mileage. I have seen plenty of mildly built 305s come through my shop...and even in a monte carlo they still make a decent amount of power to have fun with

Sent via the internet courtesy of Al Gore

6. " Jus p't a treefitty in't"
    Is what what it sounds like to me.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The cost of rebuilding a 350 is actually less than for a 305.

This is one of those deals that makes no sense at all unless you have a wrecked later model car sitting in the driveway with a perfect 305 in it. You can still "decorate" a 350 up to appear to be an older engine and guys do it all the time.

I understand the anti 350 brigade because a lot of guys think that 350's are all too common and the easy way out but when you already have a pretty solid but maybe slightly tired 350 why not rebuild it and put on early style heads, short water pump and an out of the 60's intake along with some period correct valve covers and the right air cleaner and stand back with a smile when guys start guessing what you have.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  8. x2 ^

9. He said it has a 350 in it NOW, hence it's already a "belly button" and some simply think he may wanna just rebuild it. Some people are just belly achers!

10. d-rod!

d-rod!

do a search on hopping up a 305 its been talked to death here before, I have no problems with a 305 in the right car. 283 , 305, 350 whatever, build what you want, I know with the right parts it will run good and you will be happy