Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Tantank49

Tantank49
    from 61401

The frame looks great. It also looks like you did an outstanding job on the garage. I can't help but ask what you used on the walls. It almost looks like machine turned aluminum in the pics. Very nice!

2. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Hell yeah!
    Looks like that the powdercoater knew what he was doing,that looks great!
    Believe me,i've seen pretty crappy powdercoating too.

3. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Awesome progress!! Powder coating looks great and the garage looks great too! Kudos my friend!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Tanktank49! On the walls I used 7mm diamond plates with an aluminium carpet strip glued on top. Gives a clean and nearly sterile look.

Thank you Antti! The powdercoating came out looking great, especially due to the fact that I had it double coated. Perhaps not quite as smooth as a painted chassis, but it will certainly prevent any rust from appearing in the next 100 years!:D

Thank you Rich! Also just picked up a few painted parts from my painter, including my inner fenders. The photo doesn't do them any justice, they are perfect!

Attached Files:

hemi v8 likes this.
  5. metalguy

metalguy
    from down south

That is one great looking frame. I like the way you thoroughly attack every aspect of this build. Perhaps that's why it has become one of the best builds here on the Hamb. Kudos to you.

6. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

Frame looks great as does you're garage reno. Looking forward to seeing it go back together. :cool:

7. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks for the kudos guys! Well, I finally found out how tough that powder coating really is........I've just spent quite a few hours assembling the rear end and 4 link. Every hole had to be drilled and filed before I got any bolt to fit. Getting through 2 layers of powdercoat and a layer of zinc was time consuming, but I'm happy with the end result!:D

Attached Files:

Car likes this.
  8. Wow Eric that frame looks fantastic!!!! The only problem with painted/powder coated parts is you can't just toss them around any more! haha

9. 1959apache

1959apache

she's getting there! Looks good! Are you in the process of putting the front of the frame together? Whats the progress on the rest of the body?

10. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks David! I certainly need to be even more careful now.

Thanks scott! Just started on the front end today. Well, it was more like widening/cleaning a lot of holes so I can start assembling some parts this weekend. The body is at my buddy's place. I still need to work a day or two on it before it can go to the body shop to get the anti stone chip paint underneath.

11. 1959apache

1959apache

Sweet! I am very excited for you, that is too cool. Are you planning on dropping the body over the engine and tranny or are you going to stab the engine/tranny in once the body is on?

if you put the engine/tranny in first you could technically fire it.... just sayin..... :p

12. Powdercoating and now paint, your on the home straight. Garage is looking great to. Yourd just about need underfloor heating up there, as well. Im looking forward to the day we get to see the Hemi sitting amoungst all the shiney black.

13. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

14. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh yeah! It's finally coming together!

15. farmer12

farmer12

I know you want to hear it run Scott........but the body will be planted on the chassis and then the sanding/paint will commence. Once all the paint has dried, then it will be time for the engine/transmission.

Thanks Jeff! The garage is fairly well insulated, so a little heater is sufficient during the cold months.

Thank you sir!

It sure is Rock!

16. farmer12

farmer12

The front suspension is nearly done now.....just waiting for my painter to finish off the bolt down bar on the top arms. The fuel system is nearly done, just waiting for one small piece to arrive from the US. The radiator support, rack and pinion, vacuum pump and air ride sensors are all installed now. I expect to have most things done by the end of the week!:D:D:D

Attached Files:

Car likes this.
  17. jeepers00creepers

jeepers00creepers

18. 1959apache

1959apache

19. Fjant

Fjant
    from Sweden

Nice work!

20. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you for the kind words gentlemen! Another progress report will be made tomorrow.

21. farmer12

farmer12

I've been running air lines and electrical wires for the air ride today. These are just for the front end. The rear lines and wires will be done from inside the car towards the c-notch.

The first pic shows the lines exiting the frame. I had to run the sensor wires along a small portion on top of the frame, as the holes inside the frame had been clogged by the zinc coating and I didn't want to risk drilling new holes so close to the air line, risking damaging them.

The second pic shows the air line exiting just underneath the top hat and the sensor wire through the bottom of the frame, right next to the sensor itself.

Attached Files:

hemi v8 likes this.
  22. Looking really good! ..... If your into that mean lookin tail dragger kinda stance.

23. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you lowcoe! Whether you want to call it a tail dragger or a custom, it's all fine by me.:D

24. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Its coming together nicely,Eric.Are you going to put drivetrain on the frame too or just make it a roller?

25. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Antii. It's going to be a roller first. The engine/transmission will go in after paint. Can't wait for that to happen! But once again, I need to be patient as usual.:D

26. 48plysled

48plysled

Lookin killer buddy. Definitely coming along. Mine has been sidetracked a bit due to the fact of I just added a 54 dodge pickup to my line up. Now trying to get that thing goin for a daily driver and then all focus back on the 48.

27. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you 48plysled. I hope to have everything installed on the chassis this week, then it's on to some final work on the body. Hope you get back to work on your Plymouth soon!

28. art.flame

art.flame

looks like a driver next year Eric

29. farmer12

farmer12

Yes Art, finally! I've been saying "next year" for the last few years, but now it's certain. :D

30. farmer12

farmer12

Finally got the part I required from Summit, a 90 degree AN6 fitting for the return fuel line under the pressure regulator. Got that installed in combination with the fuel filter on the c-notch and the brass fitting. This brass fitting allows me to go from the small return line to a bigger diameter hose, as the fitting on the fuel cell is large as well.

After fine tuning the airride sensor on the passenger side, I threaded in the elbow fitting for the shockwave and found out that it doesn't clear the inside of the "top hat" of the m2 set up. After a talk to RideTech, they said that the only solution was to cut a piece out of "hat". Damn. This was meant to be a thought out product to coincide with Heidts. And I thought that doing the chassis work was going to be the easy part of the build.....looks like I'll be cutting and grinding tomorrow.

Attached Files:

Car likes this.