Register now to get rid of these ads!

Merc fadeaways

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DjNeil, Aug 25, 2013.

1. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Nope. It doesn't "work."

2. mikes51

mikes51

the stock dip appears to be at the same spot where the "fat fender car" turns into a slab sided car. That little one in the back doesn't have a reason like the stock one.

3. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Let me throw out this idea... Perhaps it's been considered before, but I've never seen it.

Retain the fadeaway aka dogleg in the factory location, but it will get smaller in height because you'll add a second step along the door, then onto the quarter panel, where a second dogleg is added. It might add a nice 'cascading' effect. You'd have to play with the heights of both, to see if they should be equal in height, or make the original one slightly larger. That will also factor into how far you can push the second dogleg down the side and have everything appear in proportion.

In my mind it has potential to be pretty cool, but I'd like to see this laid out. Maybe N Ozols can photoshop this idea?

4. It doesn´t look good relocated.

5. ^^ That's nowhere. It's funny, but looking at Barris' car here does make me think Hudson.

6. I think this is a cool idea and it could look good . Personally,I would bring the hump a little closer to the door and also I think having a side trim is a must. The car still flows with this change to the hump.
    As far as the full fadeaways not flowing and looking like a hudson............that is total b.s. in my opinion.Look at the pics Bob posted of Borris' merc in black........that car flows.Also the pink car is a very nice car but someone mentioned...... "Simplicity" that car has a lot going on to be called simple.

7. DjNeil

DjNeil

It's staying as is now.It looked better in my head than on the car
    I am very grateful for the replies and the work that went into the photoshop
    I'm going to spend my time on the gaps and changing the rear tailights.
    Where do most move the petrol cap to when getting rid of the flap?
    Thanks again for the input
    Best
    Neil

8. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Petrol cap and fill pipe usually go inside the trunk and is vented to the outside.
    Do a lot of research before you decide on your tail lights. Please, don't even think about '59 Caddy's. Good luck and well done so far.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013
  9. I didn't like the gas fumes from filling it in the trunk, so I got a Hudson fuel door for my car, has nice lines...

[​IMG]

10. DjNeil

DjNeil

that flap flows very nicely with the rear wings and roof line
    One of the problems with living in Europe is I don't know this kind of stuff exists.
    19Fordy,i'm getting rid of caddy tailights so don't worry
    I'm after the metal trim for the outside of my front windshield if anyone can help
    Best
    Neil

11. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

i'm not a big fan of fadeways on a Merc , but i do like with the hump is deplaced, or modified. that's "kustom"for sure ! and when done properly, that's the kind of detail only a real kustom nut can see ! :p

for exemple, one of the best Merc, lot's of tasty modifications

[​IMG]

and "change for the sake of change" is what kustom is all about !chopped stockers are for hot rodders ! :D

12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

"change for the sake of change" is what kustom is all about !

NOT TRUE!

That blue Merc with the displaced fade-a way hump" looks distorted from the B pillar to the rear bumper, including the roof. It appears that the wheel base has been lengthened with the skirts so far back. Different for sure! But, to each his own .

13. N.Ozols

N.Ozols
    from Latvia

via this weeks art show:

14. 19Fordy

19Fordy

A perfect rendition of the sleekness of a "torpedo back" with georgeous "fade-a-ways"
    and a superb chop. All lines "flow" and harmonize beautifully.

What is there not to like about that rendering. A perfect combination of "KUSTOM" design elements and perfect proportion.

Well done.