Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features traditional t bucket

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by merles_garage, Feb 23, 2012.

1. jalopy45

jalopy45

Anyone got pix of yhe rest of this car? , [​IMG]

2. neatoldclassics

neatoldclassics
    from Montana

I found this of a Happy Days pickup and just part of another

Attached Files:

3. Flootiebuell

Flootiebuell

Looks like it was taken during the American Graffiti shoot....you can see the Chevy and the Citron (spelling) from the movie in the background...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. jalopy45

jalopy45

I remember the RPU and roadster but the car that Ron Howard aka "Richie" is sitting in looks like a "T".

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It's one of a couple used in the movie.

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That's the Edsel and the '72 Citerion in the background.

7. Flootiebuell

Flootiebuell

I stand corrected...it is the Edsel, not Ron Howard's Chevy....guess I had one too many cocktails tonight....

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

"CI-TRO-EN", Citroen, a French car.

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yea. That too.:D

10. Flootiebuell

Flootiebuell

C'est très bien, merci pour la leçon!

11. kooldeuce

kooldeuce

There is a red T bucket in the film parked next to Milners coupe they were talking to eachother then pulled away. I bet thats the car

12. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The Citroën 2CV (French: "deux chevaux" i.e. "deux chevaux-vapeur" (lit. 'steam horses'), "two tax horsepower")

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That's always been my guess too.

14. Well guys, what a read, enjoyable though for this T Bucket nutter too. Questions I would like to ask though. (1) looking at those early photos of T's dated in the sixties, I noticed that most had drum brakes, when did the solid discs start being used on the front of T's ?... (2) Why did the builders start deleting brakes from the front of the cars and was it mainly for show only cars or across the board way to go when building a T. ?
    Now having read and looked at all the pictures over the 40 pages, I am convinced I have nailed the '65 era T Bucket look with mine. Yes I need to replace the stainless steel radiator hoses with rubber and yes, I do run a discreetly placed small alternator from a Jappa, but it is tucked down below the chassis line. I also run a electrical fuel pump but that is way down under the pickup bed. I do run solid disc brakes from a English 1963-66 Ford Zephyr and not the more modern ventilated discs that, to me, scream modern on the front of a open wheeled car. Heck, there was some other points I wanted to bring up but, the old age brain fade has descended so will leave it at that.

15. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

You had better show us some pics then :)

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. jalopy45

jalopy45

Was there a transition period between this car and Grabowski's Kookie Kar? [​IMG]

17. I could be wrong, but I beleive that's Ollin's old car...

[​IMG]

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Not sure when disc brakes came around. but from what I've read, the reason you see a lot of T's (mostly with Hallcraft wires) without front brakes, is that there wasn't a cool way to do it yet. Once they figured it out, front brakes showed up.

Without sounding like a purist, you can't "nail" something and have a list of exceptions. Your cars close and nice but close is not "nailing" it. Maybe it's a wording thing?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The disc brakes on wire front wheels kinda thing is a late sixties, early seventies thing at the newest. The first wire front wheels were set up for early ford spindles for dragsters in the very late fifties. By '64, with the lift of NHRA's fuel ban, Dragsters made some serious quantum leaps forward in their design, one part of which (of many, many changes) was a change from "heavy" early Ford spindles to lighter Anglia spindles. This put lots of "last years" dragster front wheels sets on the market in Southern California. Congruent with this was a renewed enforcement of a law that went into effect in the very early fifties requiring ALL cars over 1500lbs to have fenders. T-buckets were reall close at the best of time to that magic fenderless number, why not add stuff to lighten it and reduce the hassle? The first T-Bucket that had any national exposure with wire wheels that I am aware of was Tom Booth's "Torsion T". Bill and Tom were the driving forces behind the forming of the Early Times club about the same time. The Torsion T was Tom' attempt to get comfortably under the legal limit. This would have been '65 or '66, and in my mind helped to usher in the next era in T-Buckets...

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  20. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Don't forget one of my favorites in the traditional build and it is the one that has set a fire in me to build a bucket.

I give you Gene Chan's T Bucket!

[​IMG]

21. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

This car is in the movie and it has a good scene in it. I will see if I can find a clip of it. The Bucket is red.

I can't find a clip of it as of right now but it is not to far into the movie. The guy who drives the yellow coup pulls in to a lot and gets out to talk to the guy with the Bucket.

I like this pic it should be a poster!

22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

"... the guy who drives the yellow coupe...":eek: That GUY is JOHN MILNER!!!:mad:

Just giving ya a hard time, RT.:D I looked for that 7 seconds of footage on You Tube with no results.

Some girls scream. John says, "See ya later." and the T Bucket guy say, "alligator." Then John drives off and the T Bucket guy hops on the T's rear tire and bounces inside. Whole scene last 7 seconds, but I LOVED it!

23. Without sounding like a purist, you can't "nail" something and have a list of exceptions. Your cars close and nice but close is not "nailing" it. Maybe it's a wording thing?

Oh so true mate, a slip of the tongue, but hey, since I have been giving the HAMB site another shot, which I am enjoying and like the new changes, I have noticed that people still want to help and educate the people who want to learn and without the abuse. I known that I'm a long way to go with my T but I also want to enjoy the journey as I go. One comment that I took a wee bit to heart is, No it wasn't from you, is that all cars that are pinned into a certain year,eg. 1965, shouldn't be using superbell dropped axles or the like. Now that maybe alright in the USA but, we don't have early ford cars stored away on every second farm waiting to be found for parts so we have to rely on aftermarket products and make do. But then again, isn't that what this hobby is all about ? So I personally get a but short with people who are so anal on the smallest last tiny little detail and then shout the loudest about it

24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The thing that most of the "experts" around here are missing is that the "Super Bell" axle is a dead bang replica of the original Bell axle (a fairly rare, very high end, low production piece at best) from the late forties or early fifties. Jim Ewing threw his unemployment checks into developing the Super Bell in the mid seventies and built a quality product that became a street rod staple in our industry. This is how the lots of the "new traditionalists" see this axle. They have no knowledge of the original and how close this product actually is to it, so therefore it is viewed only in the context of being "street rod". Still trying to figure out where that became a dirty word, 'cause without the street rod movement of the seventies (which rocked, by the way!!) we wouldn't be hear today.... Don't sweat the Super Bell.

25. I was going through my photo library on the computer and found a photogragh that I found somewhere that interested me enough to upload, it kind of looks familiar and wish it was a shot of my back yard.

Attached Files:

• 655.jpg
      655.jpg
      File size:
      258.3 KB
      Views:
  26. And another that I really like and at first believed was a show car only but have changed my mind as have seen video of this baby out get the loud pedal pushed to the floor. I realize that it is a turtle deck T but apart from wanting a muffled exhaust, ( hell, I must be old now, ) system, I would love to have this parked in the garage.

Attached Files:

• 592.jpg
      592.jpg
      File size:
      138.2 KB
      Views:
    Dannerr likes this.
  27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That sure does look like Rebels T Bucket.

28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I think, if they would fess up, a lot of those traditionalist that are so anal, will tout driving a 2,000 miles a year, as some great feat. I drive that in a couple months. The ones that drive more, a big thumbs up. I could NEVER be 100% traditional or "nail it". The most I can do is probably come close because I like to drive fast and a lot. My era would be late 60's to take advantage of the technology and freedom to experiment of that time. And if you look at that era, a lot of GREAT stuff was happening. Hell, it may not even be traditional. Maybe it's just old.

As much as I love the HAMB, I'll never have a HAMB friendly car. The time period is too limiting. But I still admire the dedication and even the anal aspects of it. And sometimes, I just shake my head. That's why I come here.

29. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Thanks but it's my front yard.

Attached Files:

30. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

hah! I knew it. It's those pipes.