Register now to get rid of these ads!

1942 daddyo 1.5ton rolling stock

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1bustedbuick, Oct 3, 2013.

1. 1bustedbuick

1bustedbuick

Trying to make the old rolling stock safe:(split rims) Is it possible? Any outside the box ideas? The new remakes for the split rim I saw look nothing like the original wheels and I have been through all the history posts on this beaten subject. Any new ideahs to not lose the original axles because of the wheels etc. Prepared to purchase newer but reluctant:(
    Could they (split rims) be welded? I'm reaching for the stars.:mad:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

3. 1bustedbuick

1bustedbuick

Guess thats a great big NO!! LOL!!!

4. bald_and_grumpy

bald_and_grumpy

I think what John Evans succinctly stated is that no one knows what the hell your question was. Maybe some more info would help. What vehicle are you talking about? What is the problem with the vehicle? What is your goal with the vehicle.

Actually, "Huh!!" sums it up nicely.

5. 1bustedbuick

1bustedbuick

Split rims have no decent replacement to keep original look. Looking for a way to make the original rolling stock for the 1942 ford 1.5 ton truck safe at higher speeds. I have a three speed auxiliary trans and manual 4speed to help with higher speeds. Daily driver and hauler for boat and race car.

6. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think what you're saying is you want the look of the old "widowmaker" split rims but in a modern safe version....am I close?
    I put all GM 1 ton running gear under my 41 3 ton firetruck. Not the same but kinda has the look. I think there are some big truck message boards that deal with the problem. I think that there is a 19.5 inch motorhome wheel that has the big 5 bolt pattern. I'm thinking early 70's Winibago.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  7. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

If your talking 2 piece wheels,that is a wheel with a lock ring, those are fine,they don't come apart at higher speed,your not gonna be doing 80 MPH with them, if you asking about the wheels that look like a tubeless wheel but they come apart in the center, those are the R-5 wheels and what are called widow makers,tire shops won't work on those anymore, and they don't come apart at higher speeds either.